IGNORED

David Feherty Moves From CBS to NBC and Golf Channel

nevets88
Note:Β This thread is 2996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I'm reasonably shocked to hear this David Duval talk. I like his perspective in relatively small quantities on the 'Live From' golf channel broadcasts but to me he is still pretty dull and doesn't have the voice, charisma, or presence to anchor a booth job.

I'm not surprised at the Duval talk, but am surprised they're already making him the "replacement" with Miller still a few years away from retirement. At least have some competition. Test Hicks out with Duval, Azinger, Feherty....see who has the best chemistry and is the best fit. I personally like Azinger....would like to see him in the booth over Duval. I honestly think the reason NBC likes Duval is he's not afraid to be critical, much like Miller, and he does make some great points, but I think Azinger is even more critical than Duval.

Whoa.

Duval? Not sure he is ready.

Feherty really might be out of a good job. Faldo and Miller are just better IMO. Not sure about the Azinger talk; never been a fan at all.

Side note, is ESPN done with golf?

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland:Β CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Honestly I prefer Duval to all of them. Breath of fresh air that shoots straight.

Greg Norman wasn't exactly "ready" in terms of experience when he first announced on Fox - I think Duval has more time behind the camera than Norman did if he were to start right now. I say put Duval in although I'd prefer to see him make a comeback.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really like David Duval as a commentator. Β I didn't think I would and he does have a kind of reserved presence on camera but he's really grown on me.

Feherty, on the other hand, has kind of worn off on me over the last couple of years. Β I watched his show for a season or 2 but it got a little tiresome. Β I got a little tired of hearing the same jokes over and over interwoven with stories about his drinking/drugging/experience in rehab.

McCord is worse, in my opinion, but I really don't prefer the "schticky" commentators. Β If they were really that entertaining they'd be entertainers of some sort. Β As it is, they have some novelty at first but quickly wear off on me. Β I guess there's a place for them but I'll take Jim Nantz, any day.

That's what makes Duval so good. He doesn't pretend he's a comedian and he isn't part of the good old boy clique that say the same things over and over. You know what's coming with everyone else, he actually tries to explain things and it usually makes sense without coming off like a know it all. It helps he has realΒ cred and isn't some obscure former tour playerΒ a-la Blandel.

Dave :-)

That's what makes Duval so good. He doesn't pretend he's a comedian and he isn't part of the good old boy clique that say the same things over and over. You know what's coming with everyone else, he actually tries to explain things and it usually makes sense without coming off like a know it all. It helps he has realΒ cred and isn't some obscure former tour playerΒ a-la Blandel.

I have to disagree; he never seems to have an interesting thought during any of the panel discussions he participates in. I'll pay more attention to him now in light of support from people here, but he never struck me as more than one of the usual talking heads in the times I've listened to him. He's a bit too low energy, as well.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5Β° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15Β° wood, Callaway XR 19Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24Β 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47Β°/12Β°, Cleveland REG 588 52Β°/08Β°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56Β°/13Β°, 60Β°/10Β°,Β Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Yeah - that's one thing I really like about him. Β He was a former world number 1 but he doesn't come off like he could run down from the booth and show us how it's done (Miller? Faldo?). Β Brandel doesn't do that, of course, but he knows he was never that good and makes up for it by being annoying in other ways.

I like Feherty, I think my favorite line was when Ryan Moore was in his "no sponsor" days. Feherty said " he looks like he covered himself in duct tape and ran through a thrift store." Funny, and I think Ryan probably laughed as well since I think that's the look he was going for :)

Whoa. Duval? Not sure he is ready. Feherty really might be out of a good job. Faldo and Miller are just better IMO. Not sure about the Azinger talk; never been a fan at all. Side note, is ESPN done with golf?

After next years British Open....yes. They'll still have the first two rounds of the Masters, though, I believe but that's with CBS' crew.

Feherty signs with NBC Sports, Golf Channel [Golf Channel]

Quote:

Noted commentator and Emmy-nominated host David Feherty has signed with NBC Sports Group in a deal that will bring his style and personality exclusively to the golf telecasts of NBC and Golf Channel.

In his new role, Feherty will be utilized as a walking and tower analyst on NBC and Golf Channel coverage of PGA Tour events, including the Florida Swing, The Players Championship and the FedEx Cup Playoffs. He will also be featured during 2016 coverage of the Ryder Cup and the Olympics, as well as select PGA of America and European Tour events, and will call golf's oldest championship when NBC Sports becomes the home of the Open Championship in 2017.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/feherty-signs-nbc-sports-golf-channel/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Shocking news! :-P

But I think this will be a good move and seems to be a natural fit. Β Couldn't imagine him doing one/two telecasts a year at FOX.

I bet he had this lined up with NBC and asked CBS to match. Β They didn't so he bailed.

Tony Β 

:titleist:Β  Β  | Β  :tmade:Β  Β | Β  Β  :cleveland:Β 

I read Saturday that NBC was probably going to pick him up. It's a good deal for them. I did not think he would be unemployed very long.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

OT: My mom called and she just left a meeting where he was the guest speaker, it was for a local detox center where my step-dad sits on the board. She said he was extremely gracious and all around cool guy.

Dave :-)

It's official -- NBC

USA Today, earlier today

Golf funnymanΒ David FehertyΒ is joining NBC for analysis on tournament coverage and to continue his Feherty series on Golf Channel.

Feherty had been with CBS Sports for nearly two decades until he did not renew his contract after The Barclays three weeks ago.

NBCUniversal now will be his exclusive network home. The formerΒ Ryder CupΒ player fromΒ Northern IrelandΒ will be part of the NBC team forΒ PGA Tourcoverage, the Olympics next year and when NBC gets the British Open starting in 2017.

His TV series will continue on Golf Channel. NBC also plans new ventures through aΒ Universal TelevisionΒ development deal.

For tournament coverage, Feherty will split time between the golf course and as a tower analyst for NBC and Golf Channel.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

OT: My mom called and she just left a meeting where he was the guest speaker, it was for a local detox center where my step-dad sits on the board. She said he was extremely gracious and all around cool guy.

The couple of brief chats I has with him when I was volunteering at the International would support that. Β He is quite unpretentious when the cameras are turned off. Β He quipped to us one time as he was walking back to the CBS production trailer (below the 17th tee) after a round that Castle Pines was the hardest walk of all the PGA Tour courses he covered - he felt like it was the only course that started at the bottom of a mountain and the 18th green was at the top and the course was uphill all the way. Β Not quite true, but it can be a brutal walk, and at over 5500 feet elevation, it got difficult to find enough oxygen to support life. Β I worked the 17th hole, uphill par 5, and a lot of the caddies were dragging ass by the time they got to the green.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The couple of brief chats I has with him when I was volunteering at the International would support that. Β He is quite unpretentious when the cameras are turned off. Β He quipped to us one time as he was walking back to the CBS production trailer (below the 17th tee) after a round that Castle Pines was the hardest walk of all the PGA Tour courses he covered - he felt like it was the only course that started at the bottom of a mountain and the 18th green was at the top and the course was uphill all the way. Β Not quite true, but it can be a brutal walk, and at over 5500 feet elevation, it got difficult to find enough oxygen to support life. Β I worked the 17th hole, uphill par 5, and a lot of the caddies were dragging ass by the time they got to the green.

17 was a blast to watch. Β So many good eagle chances there.

Tony Β 

:titleist:Β  Β  | Β  :tmade:Β  Β | Β  Β  :cleveland:Β 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

17 was a blast to watch. Β So many good eagle chances there.

I was on duty as one of the hole marshals in the driving area when Steve Lowery hit the shot for double eagle when he was chasing Rich Beem. Β He came up one point short (modified Stableford scoring) but had several really good holes at the end to get close (blasted from the pond on 14 forΒ birdie, eagle 15 from fairway, bogey 16, double eagle 17, par - missed 10 foot birdie putt on 18). Β He had been the 3rd round leader, but fell back with a bad start in the 4th. Β I was also in the same spot another time when Aaron Baddely broke his 4 Iron over his knee after hitting into the bunker short of the green (he'd already thrown a tantrum earlier on the 14th tee after a poor drive). Β I saw John Daly walk off the course after slicing one into the woods (on #14 I think), trying to play out and hitting a tree and bouncing deeper into the woods. Β He handed the club to his caddie and headed for the clubhouse.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note:Β This thread is 2996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!