IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Saturday:

Raven (Phoenix): First time there, 95.

Yesterday:

Round 1, San Ignacio (Par 72): 88, 47/41.  With an 8 on the back nine.  Behind the green on a par five in three.  Weird lie in some strange grass and a spider web (I think).  Water in front, and I chickened out and didn't get on.  The didn't chicken out, hit it way past, and three putter.  Crap!

Round 2, El Rio (Par 70): 88, 42/46.  Started out double-double.  Then two pars, three bogeys, two pars on the front.  Ended with a birdie to shoot even bogey.

I'd like to think of the 41 and 43 together!  (And the eight as a six!)

The good news, not a ball lost or even a penalty stroke all weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yesterday, at age 35 I accomplished a golf goal I have been striving towards for several years, I finally broke 80!  I shot a 77 (+7) at Belden Hill Golf Club.  I was +3 on the front and +4 on the back with back to back birdies on 13 and 14.  My worst hole of the day was 16 when I was way to fast with my tee shot that I snap hooked left, hit 2 straight chunky 4 hybrids and a fatted AW after, on in 5 and a 2-putt double, thought for sure “here comes the blowup on the final holes” but I held it together, made par at 17 and bogey at 18.  An amazing feeling to finally break 80!  While it may not have been the longest or hardest track in my area, it felt great and long overdue!  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Ended up shooting 80 in the tournament last wednesday. It's a good score, but I should have scored better. I kind of ran out of steam on the back 9. I hit 2/13 fairways (0 with driver) and 6/18 greens (only 1 on the back 9) so it's safe to say my shortgame and putter bailed my out on that one.

Shot 78 (40/38) on Bamble Golfklubb (a short 4850 yards par 68, rating 64,7/slope 121, 9 hole course) on Sunday. Not great, but the round certainly had it's good moments. The negative was that I managed to shoot an 8 and a 6 on the relatively short par 5 hole (490 yards) on the course. The putter was not hot either, with 36 putts and 20 of them on my 38 shot back nine......

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

How do I come back from a 72 last time out and my best round of the year? How else.... putrid effort for 9 holes of league night. Had as many penalty shots as GIR.... 3. Sadly after 2 of the penalties I managed to leave myself inside of 5 feet for par that I missed. Putter was ice cold. Ball striking wasn’t bad but a few sprayed tee shots and a bad putting day left me 7 over for 9 holes. Worst performance I’ve had in 7 weeks of league play. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Three rounds to catch up on:

5/12: Played Hillandale from the whites. Not a good start, +5 after 3 holes, but I parred the tough fourth hole and battled back to shoot 44 on the front and 42 on the back for 86. I was pretty happy after the poor start. Irons were spectacular, but short game…not so much.

5/14: Yesterday it was back to Umstead Pines, and we decided to play the blues. I played a solid front nine, 44. Three pars and two doubles. My bro played one of the best nines of his life. After a triple on the first hole, he parred the second and then bogeyed in. 47 for him! We moved on to the back.

I slipped a little to start the back, but I righted the ship again and parred the last two holes for 45 on the back and 89 total. How I shot 89 is beyond me, because my whole game felt shaky after about the sixth hole.

5/15: I had a feeling before we played that I would go low, and I did. I was +1 through 7, and while I doubled 8 after an unlucky bounce on my tee shot, I rolled in about a ten footer for birdie on 9 to shoot a two-over 38 on the front. And after 12, I was still only +3, having started par-bogey-par. 

Thoughts started creeping in, and I doubled 13, 14 and 16 with a three putt bogey on 15. +10 going into 17. I caught a horrific bounce on my approach and had to settle for bogey, then I parred the last hole to shoot 45 on the back and an 83 total. Unlike the last two rounds, short game was on point today. I hit nine fairways, and two of my misses were by no more than a yard.

I’ve got an early tee time tomorrow morning with a buddy, and we’re planning on playing a handicap match. More on that tomorrow!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Played at The Majors in Palm Bay,Florida.   Course was is bad shape.  Anyway, shot my best 9 hole interval score of 42 on the front.  Driver sucked tho.   Back 9 everything went to hell, shot a 55.   Should have played more smart, lots of blind shots, driver duck hook city, hazards and hazards.   Including one chip over bunker onto downhill green, rolled right by flag, down off the green into the water, doh!.    My iron striking again was great for me, almost all were flushed.    Just got to figure out my duck hook situation.   Driver was my best club for 3 years, now it's the worst.   Club face has to be closed at impact

Screenshot_20210616-171203_Skygolf 360.jpg

Screenshot_20210616-171210_Skygolf 360.jpg

Finally checked out a local military base 9 hole course yesterday. Eagle Eye Golf Course 34.2/121/35 - 2923 yards. Overall, the course was in really good shape and a great value. If you are in the Columbus area and have military/veteran access to military installations, I highly recommend playing this course. 

Ended up shooting 40. Maybe I should stick to playing 9 holes at a time. Seems I have been playing much better as I tend to fall apart the last 3-5 holes when I play 18., particularly in the heat.

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Had another round from the front tees on my home course again yesterday (5250 yards), and it was another round of two very different 9s. Felt I could get away with anything on the front 9 and went for everything on the back 9, failing at every risky shot.

- OB on attempt to cut the corner and reach the green in 2 on hole 10

- In the deeeeep stuff right of the green when I went for it in 2 on 14, cost me at least 2 shots....

- Lost a ball in the deep stuff when I pulled a wedge from fairway 145 yards out on 16 🤮

- Tilted from hole 16 I went for the green on 17, a 270 yards par 4 dogleg left.....lost ball. 

A perfect example of what poor course management can do with a round.

Positives: 

- 5 x par and 4/5 greens on the par 3s.

- 3 nice birdies

- My short game was really solid. 

Hull 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Out 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 In Totalt  
Par 5 3 4 3 4 4 4 3 5 35 5 3 4 4 5 3 4 4 5 37 72  
Truls Ljådal Utslagssted:     --              Gul              Hvit              Rød           4 3 4 3 5 5 3 3 5 35 7 3 5 5 7 3 7 6 4 47 82

Fairway RIGHT   LEFT   LEFT LEFT HIT   HIT 2/6 LEFT   HIT LEFT HIT   HIT LEFT HIT 4/7 6/13  
GIR Y Y N Y N N Y Y Y 6/9 N N N N N Y N N Y 2/9 8/18  
Putter 1 2 1 2 2 2 1 2 2 15 2 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 16 31

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

10 minutes ago, Troy Ocker said:

Had another round from the front tees on my home course again yesterday (5250 yards), and it was another round of two very different 9s. Felt I could get away with anything on the front 9 and went for everything on the back 9, failing at every risky shot.

- OB on attempt to cut the corner and reach the green in 2 on hole 10

- In the deeeeep stuff right of the green when I went for it in 2 on 14, cost me at least 2 shots....

- Lost a ball in the deep stuff when I pulled a wedge from fairway 145 yards out on 16 🤮

- Tilted from hole 16 I went for the green on 17, a 270 yards par 4 dogleg left.....lost ball. 

A perfect example of what poor course management can do with a round.

Positives: 

- 5 x par and 4/5 greens on the par 3s.

- 3 nice birdies

- My short game was really solid. 

Hull 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Out 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 In Totalt  
Par 5 3 4 3 4 4 4 3 5 35 5 3 4 4 5 3 4 4 5 37 72  
Truls Ljådal Utslagssted:     --              Gul              Hvit              Rød           4 3 4 3 5 5 3 3 5 35 7 3 5 5 7 3 7 6 4 47 82  

Fairway RIGHT   LEFT   LEFT LEFT HIT   HIT 2/6 LEFT   HIT LEFT HIT   HIT LEFT HIT 4/7 6/13  
GIR Y Y N Y N N Y Y Y 6/9 N N N N N Y N N Y 2/9 8/18  
Putter 1 2 1 2 2 2 1 2 2 15 2 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 16 31

Congratulations on a great front 9. We don't have to speak of the second 9. 

The good news is you showed what you are capable of on the first 9. The other good news is you closed out with a birdie. Which means you were able to pull yourself together even after a tough stretch from 14 through 17. Hang in there. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Sunday 73 (70.7/135, 6500 yds).

Monday 91 (71.2/136, 6600 yds).

This is insane.  No rhyme or reason for such a whipsaw difference, except I just plain sucked on Monday.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

48 for 9 holes.
Getting better, but too many pushes!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I played 36 yesterday at Falls Village. 

One of my buddies joined me for my morning round, and we decided to have another match. Last time we played, he won on 18 after drilling a 30-footer for par. I played the blue tees (6474 yards, 71.9/131) and he played the tips (7072 yards, 73.8/137). Because of our handicap difference, I would get a stroke on eight holes.

From the start, I could tell this was going to be another close one: we both made lengthy par putts on the first hole. By the end of the front nine, I was one down, having shot 48 to his 41. But then I got hot: I started the back nine bogey-par-par and opened up a two-hole lead with six to play, and I stroked on two of them. I’ll do a hole-by-hole of the last holes of the match:

No. 13: I’m just short of the green laying two, and he’s sitting two in the trees. He makes a beautiful up-and-down, and I drain a four-footer to keep my momentum. 2up

No. 14: Par 3. We both miss the green and we both hit mediocre chips. We both two putt. 2up

No. 15: Short par 5. One of my stroke holes, so a par would, unless he eagles, tie at worst. He’s in for birdie after burning the edge of the cup with his eagle chip, and I have a five-footer to tie the hole. Dead center. 2up

No. 16: Shortish par 3 (151 from the blues). He comes up just short, and I hit the green leaving 20 feet for birdie. He hits an awesome chip and taps in for par, and I two putt. 2up (Dormie)

No. 17: Short par 4. He hits a huge drive and I hit 3 wood off the tee and I have about 140 in, downwind but uphill. I choose a PW and I nuke it right at the pin. It rolls just over the back. He also hits his wedge over from about 100 out. I was in a good position to at least par, so he almost had to chip in. It rolled five feet past, then he missed that. Three putts to win the match, and I needed only two. 3&1

Then I tripled 18 after I played a fade off the tee and it drew. Still, that was a 41 on the back for 89 total. A very solid round, and I bounced back after a tough loss in the first match.

There’s not much to say about my second round. I started and finished well (+2 thru 4 and +4 for the last 6), but in between was awful. Three nines in that stretch meant I played the middle eight holes at +22. That added up to 100. Not good.

The good news is that my handicap is still dropping. It’s at a 13.8 now.

• Thumbs Up 1

WITB:

It was downright hot.  Really hard to focus when temp is around 100 *F.  I don't care how dry heat it is.

83 (72.1/135, 6808 yds).  Putting was a bit off as I had 5 lip-outs.

But all-in-all much better than Monday.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I played River Ridge in Raleigh today, and I decided on the blues (6206 yds, 70.1/130).

I ground out a 44 on the front with one par and eight bogeys, a few of which could’ve easily been doubles, then came in with a 47 with two triples and two pars. Both the triples were after lost balls. But I’ll take 91 on this course on my first time around and on a day when I didn’t have my A game.

The highlight of the day came when I hit the par-5 18th in two. What do I do next? Three putt for par from 20 feet. Oh well. But the good news is my handicap stays right where it is: 13.8.

• Thumbs Up 1

WITB:

So yesterday I tried it. I played from 6280 yds. I haven't done this before. I usually play 5400 - 5700. So why? Because at the driving range some guy had a GC2 and got my driver carry at 214 yds. which with rollout should be around 230. But that's when I get into a groove. Usually I'll have to say it's around 200 carry because of mishitting the ball. But I had to try it. The course is rated 76.5/129.

The front 9 was a dumpster fire. I'd locked myself out of my house and long story short, as a result I didn't get to the course but 2 minutes before my tee time. No warm up. No putting. Straight to the first hole and straight to the first duff. It took me 6 holes to warm up - I'm 68. I need to hit about 20 balls to loosen my back. Front 9 ended with a double bogey and a 58. Stopped for a hot dog and two Tylenol. 

Back 9. I was determined to play better. I'd been going for pars on the front 9. I decided to play for bogeys. Stress-free back 9. I shot 45. One GIR. 18 putts. 4/6 Fwys. I left myself shots I liked - 40 to 70 yd. pitches with my 54 wedge. But this is playing for bogeys and not for pars. Some of the par 4s, I just couldn't reach in regulation. Well, I'd have to take the chance of a 7W landing and holding or not landing in a bunker so I just chose to lay up and hit a pitch that I knew I could get to about 9 feet from the hole. My 54 is my bread and butter. 9 straight bogeys. 

So 103, but I don't even want to think about the front 9. Just the 45 on the back 9. I don't know if I'm going to do this again. I don't see breaking 90 from that length being possible. Highlights of the round 

4th hole: Chipped in to save par. Always read the green when you chip. 

12th hole: Lousy lie with the ball way above my feet on the fairway, choked down on a 7i and put it dead center of the fairway on the approach just short of the green. The shot was exactly as planned. The hole has "hell" to the left, two big bunkers in the front, and "more hell" if you go long. 

16th hole: Holed out a 35 foot putt to save bogey. 

• Like 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Played Oakhaven Golf Club yesterday 70.9-122-6608. Shot 89, 43 front 46 back. It rained the entire time during the front 9 but held it together reasonably well. One penalty stroke on the par 5 6th after rinsing my approach shot that came off the heel a bit and was about 8 yards short of the carry. Got up and down from my drop to save a bogey. Stopped for a few beers at the turn and let the rain pass through.

Cleared up for a beautiful back 9. The back is completely different than the front and much tighter, water and tree lined. No penalty shots on the back, but got behind trees twice where I had to punch out.

I feel I am on the cusp of another breakthrough with my game in the right direction. I have noticed as I begin to tire late in a round, some tendencies start easing back in causing me to push driver or minimally leak it right slightly putting me in some crappy positions. Need to keep it in mind and focus more to drop a few strokes.

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

I played nine holes this morning, and it was back to the familiar turf of Umstead Pines. We decided on the white tees.

I managed to get up and down for par on the first hole, but that turned out to be my best hole of the day. From the second hole on, I didn’t hit a single fairway, and I only hit one green, which I three putted. It all added up to a hacker’s 49. On the easy front nine of the course, that’s a huge disappointment. 

I honestly could not get off the tee. I only hit one fairway (the first hole), and my only good miss was on the second hole. I gotta get on the range.

WITB:

Another league night that I just didn’t play well. Won a skin on 1 with a par, net birdie. Threw one away at 2 with a 3 putt. By hole 5 and 6 the wait between shots was so bad I lost interest. Course was jammed with people... and when pace gets that slow I lose interest. Didn’t keep my own score from that point. If my partner was in for a par I didn’t finish out or made runs at birdie and picked up etc. I did manage a birdie and skin at 8, with no handicap stroke. Partner and I won the week by 2 and now sit way ahead of the standings. We have 2x the points of 2nd place. I’m 3 skins ahead of the next closest player for skins. Not playing great lately tho but doing enough to get by.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls