IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Monthly medal  at my local 117 slope links course ... playing the BLUE tees gives me 12 course HC--- taking course to  6234metres ... early winter here in NZ ... so greens are brutes speed wise hard not much bight  ...Pins in some shocking hard locations...

I started hole-10 PAR  to  EAGLE ... so -2 coming into 3rd hole where I drove within 120m out on 13th PAR4 ..... confidence high (GOAL to win a BLUE tee medal comp 2nd my best 4yrs trying several time so far)

But poor chip + 3 putts ... and putting the next drive into the trees with a slice put me back to reality with back to back Double Bogeys !!!!  +2 after 4 ...

then after an average directed nine iron to PAR3 150m out I slotted great chip to hold a PAR .... confidence built on next as first time in many months I placed a brilliant 56deg pitch shot only foot to the hole and sunk a great birdie ...back to +1

as you can see on my card ... I had a massive brain explosion on the 18th a hole I don't generally have an issue with an average +1 over the last Doz rounds of competition Golf... with a massive slice from a rushed 3 wood swing ...so angry I decided to hit another from the tee rather than hit my fourth up the fairway and play smart and cool down ... well that only went along the ground less than 100m ..and as you can image a hole with the name "Snakegully" you do not want to hit short off the tee ... again I didn't play smart and faded a 4 iron up on side on rough bank ... fuming dropped chip on the green not a bad location but went onto three putt last one I tapped one handed and missed ....

continued in a bad place 1st + 2nd hole struggling to find my swing ...pulled my head in started to hit slightly better .. then really played without care of my results and finished with 5 pars in the row two of which were birdie putts missing by less than an inch !!! 

Don't get why I lost my head ... been so good in competition to play smart .... was couple very rough golfers in our 4 ball one guy that has one of the lowest back swings your ever see that loves doing duck hooks or rolling along the ground to massive slices... I do find it hard to keep concentration when I'm looking for many Golf balls and waiting >>

2094421362_ScreenShot2022-06-06at10_45_29AM.thumb.png.e90ce648b7e60b9e55924f81f21df553.png

2094421362_ScreenShot2022-06-06at10_45_29AM.thumb.png.e90ce648b7e60b9e55924f81f21df553.png

• Like 1

Go Foxy Go

I put up an awful 49 today on Umstead’s back nine. I actually hit the ball half decently, but lost all my touch around and on the green. On both par 5s I had just a short pitch for my third shot, and I was a combined +5. Parred the last two holes though, so that’s a plus.

Planning on playing 36 tomorrow. I have an early tee time and a buddy and I are gonna try and play Croasdaile in the afternoon.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Had a bit of a swing issue playing playing #1 at Pinehurst last Friday shooting an 80 (10 over)!  Struggled with my 2nd shots most of the round. Spent the round trying to correct what I thought was a sway on my downswing causing me to spray or pull all over.

So I mentally revisited every iron shout I could to determine what was going on.  Had to go back and watch a video from “Me and My Golf” shameless plug but I watch a video on iron play and it clicked with me.

Went back to #1 on Sunday and shot a 71 (Par is 70). Hit 10 Fairways and had a season high 14 GIR! One birdie and an Eagle on 18.

Played #6 today to continue with my swing change/thought and shot a 76.  Good ball striking again, statistically fairways and greens hit were way off but many were on the edges.  Front started well, two over through 8 holes with one birdie, but bogeyed hole 9.  The back nine started with an eagle on the par 5 10th! 2nd shot to one foot for the tap in. Finished with a sandy par on 18 but shot a 1 over 37. (39/37)

What did I learn, it wasn’t a sway at all.  Hip turn! Some how I was all arms which caused over the top pulls and some pushes or worse. My focus was to slow down a bit and make a full turn so my hips could turn more.  

Player 36 yesterday, and it was a grind!

ROUND 1: Compared to what happened in the afternoon round, not a lot happened in the morning. My first round was at The Challenge, and I shot 47-44 for 91. Not horrible, but I struggled to keep my tee shots in play which led to a lot of punching out and reteeing. 

I did par three of the last four holes though, so I finished strong.

ROUND 2: This round was a lot more interesting, and I’ll go more in depth. We played Croasdaile for the second round.

The front was a cart v cart match: best ball strokeplay was the format we decided on, and it was me and William (a 6 hcp) against Ryan and Dylan (a +2 hcp). William and I would get three shots on the side. We all played the blues except for Dylan, who played the tips.

I contributed more than I expected to, which included a birdie from the fringe on the fifth hole and a much-needed up and down for par on the eighth. I tripled the ninth to make the turn with a personal best (for that side) 42, and William holed a testy six-footer to shoot 40 and tie the match. Dylan made three birdies and a bogey to shoot a two-under 34.

Then William and Dylan left and Ryan and I continued and had a nine hole match. I could not buy a par until 15, but despite making five straight bogeys until then I was one up with three to play. I won 16 with a double after Ryan choked on the green, then he made a clutch up and down for par on 17 to send the match to the last hole. 

Two perfect tee shots left Ryan 140 and myself 105. We both hit it to about 15 feet and practically on the same line, but Ryan was slightly away. He left his a few inches short but dead center, so he cleaned up his par. I then stepped up and drained my birdie putt to win the match and shoot 43 on the back for an 85 total. 

Despite the solid score, I still couldn’t seem to keep my tee shots in play. I only hit ten fairways total over 36 holes. The difference is that my shots that were OB at The Challenge were in play at Croasdaile mainly because the latter is, for the most part, more forgiving off the tee.

Every other part of my game was solid yesterday though, so I’m pretty happy with how I played for the most part.

WITB:

42-40-82 My best round of the season by four shots.

I was playing a first round Super Senior Club Championship match against a guy whose handicap is seven shots better than mine, but we play straight up with match play. He hit 10 of 11 of the first 11 fairways and 10 of 11 of the first 11 greens and shot 37 on the front. The only hole I won at that point was a birdie on the first hole. I was five down after 11 holes. He kind of lot his mojo at that point and started missing fairways and greens. I won 12 and 13 but lost 14 with a bad double bogie. Four down with four to go. Dormie. I won 15 with a birdie and 16 with a very tough downhill putt for par. Two down with two to go. He made a routine par on 17 and I had 7 feet for birdie to win the hole. I hit a very good putt but misread it slightly and it lipped out.

I lost the match but I scared the you-know-what out of him. 😎 

Bill M

88 (42 - 46) at Minnesott today with my son and grandson.  Started off good with par - par, then bogie - bogie.  Actually the third was a barely lipped out par attempt.  Holes five and six were two more pars.  Front nine finished bogie - dbl - bogie.  Nine - a par three that I wound up three putting, again barley lipped out the par putt.  Back nine started with a triple on ten.  Recovered with an up and down par on eleven (the toughest hole on the back). Follow it with a bridie on twelve, feeling good.  Mojo died on thirteen with a double, finished the round bogie - dbl - bogie x’s 3 for a 46 on the back.  Had some struggles on the approach shots, but overall getting more confident around the greens. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Shot 80 this morning at a new course (+9), 14 nGIR/GIR (10 GIR), 35 putts, no penalty strokes.

Probably the best ball striking round I've had in the last 6 months. Had a couple swings with driver where I practically hit the ball off the shaft, and a few toed 4-irons off the tee that ended up short, but other than that I was solid with tee shots. Approach game was best it's been in a long time, and I think 10 GIR might be, or at least is near, a personal best for me. Short game was steady, but I didn't need to ask much of it today due to good approach play. Putting was uncharacteristically a weak point.

Strokes gained vs 10 HCP:

• Tee = -0.61
  • Approach = +3.21
  • Short game = +0.38
  • Putting = -0.72

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Sugar Hill Golf Club - White Tees - 69.1/129

I shot an 84, but it was a tale of two nines.  45 on the front... 39 on the back.

On the front nine, I started par, bogey, par.  The bogey on the par five second was due to a four iron going too far to the left and into the water beyond the green.  Then I got on the double-bogey train for four, five, and six.  Pulled my three wood left into the water on four, bladed a pitch across the green on five, and hit a fat wedge into the bunker into a fried egg lie - I got it out, but it hung up in the fringe and left me a long chip - for the caboose.  Had a routine par on seven, then crapped the bed on eight, and then narrowly missed a birdie the par five ninth after almost getting home in two.

On the back nine, I started with three pars and then I hit the par five thirteenth in two and made a birdie.  Made a mess of the fourteenth with a chunked tee four iron off the tee and an even worse four iron from the fairway into the water.  However, I was pretty proud of the double I managed after pulling my seven iron fourth to the back left of the green.  This green is a severely sloping monster that almost always results in a three putt, but I managed to get down in two.  On the fifteenth I hit a fat 58° wedge well short of the green - but right on line - but chipped to inside two feet.  Missed the par three sixteenth to the right, but once again, my chipping bailed me out and I made par.  I bogeyed the last two holes, a par four and a par five, to finish with a 39.

I was pretty pleased with how I responded to the adversity on the front.  A lot of times, I would follow a spate of doubles by collapsing with triples, quads, and simply putting an X on the card and moving on.  However, today I was able to keep the ship off the rocks and manage to score well as the round wore on.  Also, it was hot.  The temp was hovering around 95° and the heat-index was well over 100°.  My misses are getting better, and my short game is starting to come around.  It's not perfect, but it is not costing me as many strokes, and my chipping and pitching is really becoming a strength.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Retuned to Harbour Piinte today with son and grandson.  We were partnered thru the front nine with a regular member who was walking.  He offered some good local knowledge and was delighted to see my 6-yr old grandson playing.  Round started off with bogie on 1.  Two is a par five, decent tee shot.  2nd I send into the pond as the ball glances off an overhanging pine limb.  Hole winds up being a triple bogie snow man.  Next hole is a three and I three putt for bogie.  Four is another 5.  Drive finds the fairway bunker.  Hit a sweet. 3h out of the bunker getting about 100 yds out.  PW puts me within 5’ and one putt for birdie.  Five’s drive was in the left rough, forced layup and it becomes double bogie.  Finished the front par-bogie-bogie-par.  The par on nine was an up and down as I was just off the green pin high on that three.   44 on the front.  I’m thinking a low 90’s day on tap.  Back nine starts with bogie on 10 as the second time in the round I found a fairway bunker off the tee.  A six iron out put me just off the green.  Make par on 11 and 12. Double on 13 as I majorly slice the approach, the recovery goes green side bunker, and I weakly hit out.  Bounce back with par on 14 that called for an up and down.  Next two are bogies and I am feeling good about the back nine. 17, the last par three, I under club and have to get up and down for par.  Done!  18 is a decent par 5 - tee shot in the edge of the brush line. 7i punch out, 4h and LW and 2 putt for bogie finish.  42 on the back for an 86.  Fairways were missed (5 of 13), however 6 of 18 GIR, plus 5 nGIR.  34 putts.  Was one of this days where I was comfortable behind the ball, even in the fairway bunkers.  Clubbed up, played the longer number to the green and when a shot or hole was bad, just moved on did not correct just trusted the shot.  One of my most cons days on the course. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

I shot a 79 yesterday in mens competition. I didn't even play well. started off with a topped teeshot just over the red tees in heavy thick rough, could only get a sand wedge out what left me with 200 yards to the flag, hit a great 4 iron and 2 putted for a great bogey, than made bogey on my second hole what actually is the ninth hole (shotgun start) par 3 170 yards back wind hit 7 iron and flew over the green chip 2 putted, than doubled the 10 after a snap hook lost ball, after that I settled making a great string off pars missing a few good birdie opportunities. ( 11,12,13,14,15 bogey 16 par 17 and 18) than tripled the first and pars on 2,3,4,5,6 ended with a bogey on 7 after again a horrible teeshot. best birdie chance was on 12 most difficult hole on the course, 440 yard uphill drive to a narrow fairway, second goes downhill with water front right managed to het a perfect 7iron to about 6-7 feet birdie put lipped out after a strange bump just before the hole.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Sugar Hill Golf Club - White Tees - 69.1/129

46 on the front nine in my Spark Golf match.  I really had problem focusing today.  At one point, I absolutely thought that I had lost my putter headcover only to find it right where I normally put it on my super awesome SandTrap.com alignment sticks.  I did go on a three hole par run, but I made an unfocused mess of several holes.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Being 70 years old, I have been playing the tees that are around 6150 a lot and my best score from there this season is 82. I try to play the regular tees (6500 yards) sometimes because all of our tournaments (outside of senior events) are played from those tees and I still want to stay competitive from those tees.

I shot 44-40-84 from those tees yesterday and it could have been a lot better, as I had four three putts. Best ball striking day of the season. Looking forward to my next round and cleaning up those putts from 40+ feet. 

Bill M

Yesterday we played Hillandale. My brother shot 110 and was super inconsistent all day. 

For me, the fun started on the thirteenth hole. I had just shot 44 on the front and started the back par-bogey-bogey (+11 thru 12), was hitting the ball great but couldn’t buy a putt apart from a birdie bomb on the fifth hole. 

Then I birdied 13 after almost holing out and made easy pars on 14-16. Then we got to 17, where I blocked it right into a bunker. Then I got lucky. I practically shanked the bunker shot, but it hit the lip and kicked dead left, rolling to within two feet where I was able to secure my par. 

On 18, a reachable par 5, I smoked another driver down the middle and hit my second into a greenside bunker. Like the last hole, I got up and down from the trap, this time for a closing birdie.

That adds up to 44-36 (even on the back!) for an 80. Lowest round since September, hoping to take the momentum from my last six holes into my mini golf trip Monday/Tuesday!

WITB:

79 (41/38) - diff 8.6
Fairways: 10/14 
GIR: 8
Putts: 33 (with 3 three-putts, 6 one-putts)

2 Birdies on the back 9

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Shot 86 on Sunday (40/46), 17 nGIR/GIR (only 4 GIR, and got some bad breaks on the lies for several of the nGIRs), 34 putts, and no penalty strokes.

I was feeling good about my play until a streak of 4 double bogeys on holes 9-12. Gained 1.1 strokes on the front 9, lost 4.78 on the back-9. I suspect the alcohol consumed at my parent's 50th wedding anniversary dinner the night before contributed to the round degrading with tiredness/fatigue/hangover.

Driver was absolutely terrible. Hit driver 4 times, and each one was yanked left, except for one swing where my back foot completely slipped out and I chunked it short into the right rough. Otherwise I was okay off the tee except for a few chunky toe misses that flew straight but short.

I putted horribly. I had a decent amount of 1-putts due to some good short game shots, but my putting has been off for the last few rounds (poor lag distance), so I need to put in some work there. I also think my course also decided to place the holes in difficult spots, maybe in tribute to the final round of the US Open. Some of the holes were placed on slopes between tiers, and on some of the steeper slopes for the non-tiered greens. I had one uphill putt roll backward about 3-4 feet after not making it to the hole, and a few short downhill putts that rolled about 10 feet past the hole (and these are not fast greens by any measure).

Overall I gained strokes vs 10 handicap on approach (+0.11) and short game (+0.81). Lost a partial stroke off the tee (-0.30). Lost many strokes on the green (-4.30), which is atypical for me based on historical performance.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

88 (43 - 45) at Minnesott today.  Fourteen bogies, three pars and one double bogie.  Was using a new to me putter and it may have led to a number of par “near misses” that became bogies.  Positive is that only had two holes with three putts.  Will work with it before next trip out.  Hit 7 of 14 fairways, plus another five that were literally on the edge (mowed to fairway height) that the GPS read as “rough”.  Anyway had three GIR and five nGIR.  Approach game is improving for sure. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

I haven't played much this year yet but had my first sub par nine yesterday.
On the front, I couldn't get off the bogey train, but turned it around on the back.
Had 3 birds and 2 bogies for ONE under back nine.
Two of the birds were almost Hole Outs, approachs on the par 4 was 30" 
and Tee shot on next hole, par 3 was 24"
The third bird was a 20 foot putt holed on the 17th hole. 🙂

Other than missing a couple of short putts to save pars on the front,
I had several other putts on the day that either road the rim
and 3 others that were left short dead in the jar. 😞

Final tally was 6 over.

• Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awful... just awful. My round started out good and that's always a bad sign. Ended birdie, par, bogey. We'll forget everything else in between except for the par on 9.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart