IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Back to Minnesott today with son and grandson for a quick 9.  Repeats score from day before with a 41.  This time it’s with 5 pars, 3 bogies and one double.  Only two GIR but another three nGIR (all less than 2yds off the green).  Feeling better about the approaches.  Greens were cooperative, and it’s been good to have looks at birdie and coming away with par. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Early tee time this morning (7:30) with the pastor from church.   We played RiverBend from the golds (5518yds, 69.1/122).  Dew was heavy last night and that coupled with lingering fog made for a wet, rooster tail kind of day.  I was not disappointed as I had a good half dozen putts die just short of the hole were the water in the grass sucked all momentum out.  Likewise when I did adjust for the damp conditions, I had several that would have normally caught the edge and gone in, carried over the edge of the cup and rolled past.  Made for a 3-tier bogie round (I had a couple of triples, a few doubles and a number of bogies).  I did manage 3 pars.  Driving accuracy was decent with 8 of 14 finding the fairway.  Approach accuracy, major Separation Value segement, in terms of GIR and nGIR was non-existent, however I was staying pretty well on line with only a few really getting in the taller grass.  On the plus side, this was one of the most challenging rounds I've played as it forced me to make real-time adjustments to way less than ideal course conditions.   In the end, my pastor and and I had a great day hanging out, he finished with a 103 and I with a 94.    

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

With the daylight shrinking by the day, only get 9 in after work now, and with no warmup to boot.  But still fired off a 37 (par 35 / +2) last night after not touching a club for a couple of weeks.  My striking was really similar to back in May when I broke 80 with the 76...super consistent (for me, at least).  Wish I could've got in 18 for a great chance at another sub-80, but oh well.

Missed a ~5 footer for birdie on the par 5 3rd I'd really like to have back.  Looked like an easy putt, but fooled me and it missed off the low edge.  Got it back on hole 5, though, with a downhill ~20 footer with a foot or so of break I didn't expect to make, so it evened out.  A really dumb 3-putt on 7 hurt my heart, after such a nice approach to a back-tier pin.  Bounced back with a bird on 8, and par on 9, though (a very tough par 3!).  At my skill level, I'll never complain about a sub-40 9.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

I was able to shoot my lowest score today, a 91. I am working on ball striking consistency as well as tweaking my putting. My next goal is to break 90, which seems to be happening much more quickly than my quest to break 100. I was on the way to a much better score until I had blowups at #15 and #16. I was fortunately able to right the ship on the following two holes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10°, Fairway - Callaway Mavrik 3w, Hybrid - Callaway Mavrik 3 & 4, Irons - Callaway 2018 X-Forged 5-PW, Wedges - Callaway Jaws 50°, 56° & 60°, Putter - Odyssey 2-Ball White Steel SRT Mallet 

The Highs and Low's of golf.  This past Tuesday and Wednesday our Mens Golf Association had its end of year championship.  Only 82 players signed up, it was supposed to be 3 weeks ago but a storm blew through and it was canceled and rescheduled.  Forecast this time was perfect.  I’ve been playing really well lately and had high expectations!  In fact my last round in the 80’s was Sept 15th, all rounds since that date previous to the tournament averaged 76.  Low of 72, high of 78.

Let me point out that all players will be playing Green tees on courses #6 and #1.  No choice must play the Green.

Let’s just say it was the good, the bad and the ugly for two days. Complete collapse!  Day one I shot my highest score in two years, an 89! 6 pars over 18 holes, 1 birdie. Bogeys galore! And for good measure a snowman!  1st in a long time. 3 putted 3X.  Round 2.  A 79. 9 fairways, 13 GIR’s. One birdie. 5 3 putts, missed a couple of two footers.  39 putts!!!   Apparently the field also played like crap as well,as I finished 22nd out of 82.

Flash forward to today. Played #6 again but backed up to play the White tees. Slow start, 4 bogeys on the front.  40.  Back nine started with a par 5 which I eagled after I hit my 2nd shot to two feet from 177.  One more birdie and pars all the way in. 73, 11 Fairways, 11 GIR’s and 30 putts.

Golf is hard!

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

'Tis a humbling game, just when you want/expect to shoot well.  But "wanting/expecting" almost never gets you anything in golf.

…btw today was my 195th round!  Last year I had 232, trying to beat that. Probably early December I’m thinking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shot 50-39 at Green Knoll today. Been out two weeks with another injury. Took me eight holes to remember how to swing the club, but I demolished the drive on 9. Still didn’t hit the irons well until for another three holes, though, but short game was good. Putting started just a little off but then I got hot with it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I played 2 balls on 9 holes this morning, I have a grab bag of hand me down and yard sale clubs so with great weather and a surprisingly empty course behind me I set out to figure some things out. 

Ball #1 I played a Cobra 5 wood off the tee, a Titleist 5 hybrid for fairways and wedges for approach. Cobra mallet putter for putts.

Ball #2 I played only irons, 5 iron off the tee and 5/7/pw from everywhere else. An old Ping Karsten putter.

Ball #1 setup I scored a 54, I had never played this Cobra 5 wood before but I hit 6 of 7 fairways with it , with 175 to 200 yards carry. If can copy that performance I'd be ecstatic. The 5 hybrid was great for me playing 18 yesterday but killed me today with a couple duffs and 3 off target misses. The greens were very wet the first few holes so my putting was rough, I think I like the Ping putter better.

Ball #2 I scored a 47 which is a personal best for me,  I had a couple 3 putts in there and a couple holes I just barely missed birdie or par putts.

If I combined best hole score from the 2 balls I would have scored a 44 , I'm really pleased with today as I just started playing in June and finally played a round with no major blowups and a respectable score.

Back at #6 again (why? Member tee times are tight right now). 46 degrees at 8:27 this morning. Still wore shorts! Played well again, 10/10 FWY/GIR’s.  -1 thru 7 holes, then a bogey, even 36 on the front. 2 over 38 on the back, 74 overall.

Shot 87 at Neshanic today. Tough conditions: windy and wet turf. Felt like I played well, given the circumstances.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

463944659_ScreenShot2021-10-18at8_56_09AM.thumb.png.9d592520b026aa1fab2f75ab4cb43f4e.png

Shot 69 yesterday, that makes 4 straight under par rounds and 7 of my last 8 rounds at par or better. I did not play all that great. My home course had a tournament, so we played at a slightly easier track that is really a little short for me at 6235 yards (par 72). The driver and 3 wood were erratic and I hit a lot of tee shots off line. but at 6235 yards I hit short irons into all four par 5s and flip wedges into most of the par 4s. I just wasn't able to take advantage as most of those shots came from the rough. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Shot 94 on Sunday, with 10 GIR/nGIR, 32 putts, and 1 penalty stroke. Topping my drive on the first hole was an omen for how the round would go (haven't topped a drive in quite awhile).

Poor round scoring-wise, mostly due to ball striking. Off the tee and recoveries from bad tee shots were sub-standard for me.

This was a "discovery" round for me, as I made a correction to my trail hand grip that really stabilized my hold on the club, and the first time I have been able to observe ball flight post-change. I have to re-find my face awareness; instead of misses being pulls and snap hooks, they were blocks and block fades, which was a welcome sight, but still was problematic on the course.

I also tried out heads up putting, which was pretty neat and worked well for the most part, however on a couple of severe uphill putts, I didn't strike the ball solidly of the putter face resulting in bad start line and leaving the putt well short.

I did play the entire round under RoG, so I submitted score in GHIN.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

95 today at Harbour Pointe from the whites.  My son was my playing partner, so we were more in the test and see mode than really tying to shoot our best scores.  I also pulled the old Wilson Killer Whale driver out as I hit it well at the range last Saturday.  To be honest this was a mistake on my part.  Was all over the fairway - left, right, middle.  Never really knew where it was going to go.  The G400 went back in the bag when I got home.  Scoring wise nothing to report.  Putting was okay, total of 37 (a lot of "long" first putts, but thankfully very short 2nd putts).  Approach work was better, but due to the craziness of the driver I spent most of the round working out of tough lies from errant tee shots to where almost every hole was trying to get up and down for par....scrambling golf for sure.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

I shot 108 at Hawthorne Country Club today , only my 3rd time playing 18 this year and 4th ever.  Followed the rules it was a true 108. Inconsistent off the tee and a few to many 3 putts killed me , my approach game was killer. Out of 18 I only missed two shots onto the geeen within 100 yards. Had my first ever birdie . 

The day before I played Walden country club and shot 111, allergy attack had me feeling off. Approaches were great but 3 putted almost everything and my drives (5 wood) fell apart on the back 9. 

Day before that I played my local course and shot 104 , a few 3 putts and a triple bogey on the par 5 killed me. 

Fairly happy for 4 months of playing self taught , I can get up and down the course and play with others now. 

Edited by DCCarpenter

Shot 36-36 = 72 - 1 over on my home course. 3 birdies and 4 bogeys.  Tied PR. 

Windy with slight rain. Hosted 16 members of my other club to play with 15 members of this club. Amazing day. Good score was just a bonus. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bogey, par, bogey x 3, par, bogey, par, bogey x 3, par, bogey x 4, par, bogey. Sorta decent round.  Extra wet ground in some places with swamp and casual water.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

9 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Bogey, par, bogey x 3, par, bogey, par, bogey x 3, par, bogey x 4, par, bogey. Sorta decent round.  Extra wet ground in some places with swamp and casual water.

Any time I get no doubles, I consider that excellent. It happens rarely. 

• Thumbs Up 1