IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Took a trip to St. Louis, MO to play golf with my son over the last couple of days. Never played the courses before. Well, let's just say I was embarrassed. I've never 3 and 4 putted so many greens in  my life. First of all, you'd have to take 4 of our greens on my home course, combine them, and that would equal one green at the courses we played. Then the tiered greens, at Whitmoor CC, you get above the hole, and you end up with a 30 foot putt coming back. Oh, yeah, the scores:

Thursday - 89 at Whitmoor - North, Friday - 90 at Missouri Bluffs, Saturday - 89 at Whitmoor - South, and finally Sunday - 84 (42-42) at Whitmoor - South, I think I finally changed something where I was getting the ball to die near the hole.

All in all, a fun time with my son for Fathers Day.

Now to see how I'll play on my not so fast, flat, greens on my Florida home course.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played gosh awful today. Had my dad, brother and grandpa playing with me today, which lightened the mood despite my poor play. Last time the four of us played together was all the way back in December. My dad and I played each other straight up on the front, and he beat me by three, 48 to 51. My grandpa also shot 51. Don’t know what my bro shot, but he parred both par-3s.

My grandpa and I were the only ones to continue at the turn, and we rode a cart together to beat the heat. I didn’t do much better on the back, shooting a 49 with a quad on the par-5 16th, a hole that I normally play well. I was 150 out laying two, but I pushed a 7I over the road (which shouldn’t even be in play). I pushed my  second ball as well, but that one didn’t get to the road. Took me four to get down from there. 

The final damage is an even 100. Ballstriking really hurt. Chipping and putting were as good as normal, and if I didn’t have that to back me up, I probably would’ve shot 110 or even higher. Only one par all day, but the irony of it is that it was on the toughest hole on the course. I’m going to the range tomorrow afternoon to get back into a groove.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Played Mill Creek again today and shot 92 with a 42 out and 50 in. I HAVE to remove the three triple bogeys from the card and I will be in the 80's! All three TB's were on shorter par 4's so I just seemed to "cash it in as an easy hole" and got stung after mentally checking out. 

Will continue to work on better focus throughout the entire round. 

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

On 6/22/2020 at 9:49 PM, dagolfer18 said:

I played gosh awful today. Had my dad, brother and grandpa playing with me today, which lightened the mood despite my poor play. Last time the four of us played together was all the way back in December. My dad and I played each other straight up on the front, and he beat me by three, 48 to 51. My grandpa also shot 51. Don’t know what my bro shot, but he parred both par-3s.

My grandpa and I were the only ones to continue at the turn, and we rode a cart together to beat the heat. I didn’t do much better on the back, shooting a 49 with a quad on the par-5 16th, a hole that I normally play well. I was 150 out laying two, but I pushed a 7I over the road (which shouldn’t even be in play). I pushed my  second ball as well, but that one didn’t get to the road. Took me four to get down from there. 

The final damage is an even 100. Ballstriking really hurt. Chipping and putting were as good as normal, and if I didn’t have that to back me up, I probably would’ve shot 110 or even higher. Only one par all day, but the irony of it is that it was on the toughest hole on the course. I’m going to the range tomorrow afternoon to get back into a groove.

I hope I can one day play golf with family.  I have only once in the past uhh, 10 years maybe.  I bet your dad and granddad were happy to be with you.  I am happy you had fun despite your poor performance.

Edited by Cantankerish

44 on the front 9 at Baker golf course in Kewanee, IL. The temp was in the 70s and a really nice day to play.

-Craig-

In my bag:

:callaway: XR-16 Driver 10.5° :callaway: Epic Flash 3W, Big Bertha Steelhead 5W

:callaway: X Hot 3 hybrid :callaway: Steelhead X-14 irons 4i-PW,SW spacer.pngCG14 GW, LW  ping-logo1.png.f020c6ba3751388e4eea3481be9cfca6.pngTyne 4 putter

Played my home course today and shot my age, 74 (+2). It was a beautiful day for golf; that along with being paired with a 0 handicap player. I tend to play better when paired with a low handicap player. I had 4 birdies, 4 pars and 1 bogey on the front. 13 putts; 7 GIR's. My weakness is my putting; been struggling with the yips for two years. But so far this year I have seen a lot of improvement in that area. On the back nine started with another birdie; but then had a double(3 putts) and 4 more bogies to go +5 on the back. Probably a loss of concentration on the back nine. Only had 4 GIR's with 18 putts. Click on the link below for scorecard.

site-fb-banner.png

Golf Pad is an advanced golf GPS rangefinder, scorecard and shot tracker. Use it standalone or with Golf Tags - the new real-time golf gps shot tracking system.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MiuraMan said:

Played my home course today and shot my age, 74 (+2). It was a beautiful day for golf; that along with being paired with a 0 handicap player. I tend to play better when paired with a low handicap player. I had 4 birdies, 4 pars and 1 bogey on the front. 13 putts; 7 GIR's. My weakness is my putting; been struggling with the yips for two years. But so far this year I have seen a lot of improvement in that area. On the back nine started with another birdie; but then had a double(3 putts) and 4 more bogies to go +5 on the back. Probably a loss of concentration on the back nine. Only had 4 GIR's with 18 putts. Click on the link below for scorecard.

site-fb-banner.png

Golf Pad is an advanced golf GPS rangefinder, scorecard and shot tracker. Use it standalone or with Golf Tags - the new real-time golf gps shot tracking system.

Good job!  I looked it up... only .0000089 of golfers ever shoot their age. (9 per million!)  Go have a beer.  Have a 2nd one on me...

• Like 1

Not too much to say about today’s round. After two grinding practice sessions the last two days, I went out and shot 93 today (50-43). It could’ve been a lot better, for three reasons:

1) I missed two three-footers in a row on the first, giving me a double.

2) I made a ten on the fifth with two penalty strokes.

3) I had 39 putts, about three or four higher than my norm.

Iron play, normally the strongest part of my game, ditched me today. I hit a few good ones (most of which were on the back nine), but mostly thins and duffs and other weird mishits. Everything else (except putting) was fine. I feel good about my upcoming round Saturday, where I’ll be playing a new course that I’ve wanted to play for a while.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:

I went out with a sore back and shot 90. 47/43. Best I played in a year. Sad. My best shots were inside 120 yds. But there was a little victory. I finally, for the first time in 8 years, didn't put the ball in either the bunker or the trees on the right on the 17th hole. I made a GIR, but I three putted. 

I sliced my drive really bad on the 11th hole I thought I had a hole in one on the 17th, so I hit a provisional. I sliced that just as bad so I went to look for them. I lost the provisional but found the original ball. Someone will find a new ProV1. S'all good man. I managed to get it back in play and ended up with a bogey after my par putt lipped out.

Lesson for the day: take your medicine. Don't try to thread the needle. You're not a pro. Just get the ball back in play. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

My son, who is pretty much my regular playing partner, and I just completed a round at the nearby (just over an hour away) host course for the local university.  We love this course as it plays tough - with great reward and great punishment opportunities.  My score was pretty close to the last time we played (which was last Sept),  however I left a lot of opportunities for par or better.  My score was 106, which is not great but better than last time.  One thing I had going for me, each hole is its own opportunity and as such I was able to leave the last hole behind as the new one presented itself.  It was a great day on the course with a number of GIRs and nGIRs, several one putts and lots of focus on Separation Value.   

• Like 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

First round after my vacation the Smoky Mountains, shot a 93 tripled three holes which is unfortunate. Ball striking is still getting gradually better, trust my Driver now more than my long irons. 39 putts with 5 three Jack's on 6 GIRs is a sure way to score high. Other than the triples the other nine holes I'd consider NGIRs at least for me, not sure what officially is considered a NGIR. Seeing positive improvement even my scores have been hovering in the 90s the last 5 or 6 rounds. Breaking 90 this year is tougher than it looks. 

Shot a 105 today at Lanier Islands Legacy Golf Course from the blue tees (71.0 - 137) which are one set up from the back tees.  I only hit four fairways and two greens in regulation, but I was close to the green on seven more holes, and many of the fairways that I missed were just missed, and one was a fairway bunker.  On that hole, I managed to hit my second shot over the green, which was my miss on most of the greens; long and left. 

My putting and short game was really a problem, but this is the first course I've played this year with decent greens; grainy, but pretty quick and undulating.  I took 45 putts, which included a five putt on a par 5 that I was just over the green in regulation.  The green was massive (over 35 yards deep), with three large levels and two steep slopes, and the pin was all the way at the front.  I putted the ball off the green, and then struggled to get it back onto the putting surface.

My friend that I was playing with - who happens to be a former PGA teaching professional - noticed that I was delofting the hell out of my putter, which was pushing putts to the right, and causing me to miss everything.  After he pointed this out, I drained a fifteen foot putt for bogey on 17, and then a twelve footer for par on 18.

Overall, my ball-striking has gotten WAY better, especially with my irons.  A shanked six-iron and a heeled hybrid were the only two poorly struck irons, which is incredibly comforting, since my most common miss had been fat shots that wound up way short of the green.  I need to get a better handle on my distances.  I went to the range with Top-Tracer technology the other day, but the data was obviously off by a great deal because shots were traveling much farther than they were at the range.  Again, my friend noted the positive change.  Onward and up... errr... I mean downward.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• Administrator

73 or so at a new course, Moon Brook Country Club, with some fairly crazy greens. I really enjoyed playing them, though - they are very reminiscent of the greens at Lake View where I learned to play. Three footers with 16" of break, 30 footers with 20' of break… that sort of thing.

Course is 100 years old, so some of the fairways are very narrow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

40 in 9 holes.  (It was actually 65 after 14 holes or 10 over par)  Not sure how to score any of that or if I even should score it.  I sorta stopped trying on the back 9 because the sun was going down.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

40 in 9 holes.  (It was actually 65 after 14 holes or 10 over par)  Not sure how to score any of that or if I even should score it.  I sorta stopped trying on the back 9 because the sun was going down.

14 holes = post an 18-hole round.

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

See 2.2.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ahh, okay thanks a bunch.  I really knew nothing about this.  In a sense it is not an issue, because I am not actually keeping a proper handicap.  But it is great to see how this is handled.  And since my handicap, adjusted for the course is 17.6 stokes allowed, and none of the final four holes is rated #1, I would call each of the remaining holes a bogey for handicap purposes.  <--presuming I did that right.
And it's an 83, sorta.  We played the par 5 5th twice.  Whatever.

Today’s round was mediocre at best. The course I played was called Mill Creek GC in Mebane, NC. It was 6325 yards from the blues where I played (the whites were 700 yards shorter, and there was no blue/white combo). My brother and grandpa played the yellow tees, which were very short at 4881. The course was a lot more punishing than my home course in three ways.

First, the rough was thick. I probably couldn’t have hit more than a 6- or 7-iron out of it, so I laid up most of the time due to 180-yard-plus approaches and being under trees. The greens were also faster, running at about a 10 on the stimpmeter (my home course’s greens are about an 8). Lastly, you couldn’t hit it too far offline, or you’ll very likely be hitting another ball.With that being said, on to the round. I shot 49 on the front. My dad, grandpa and brother shot 50, 50 and 51 respectively, so a very close round.

The fifteenth hole was eventful. It was a 392-yard par-4 from the blues where there was a bunker right in the middle of the fairway, probably 180 to carry. I did so easily, and had about 190 left. My dad topped his just in front of the yellow tees, and there was a weird ordeal where my dad, grandpa and brother debated for several minutes how far it was to the water hazard just past the 150-yard marker (we wouldn’t find that out until we actually got there). It was really about 160, and my grandpa and brother hit into the bunker I mentioned above. 

My dad hit his second into the water and eventually made six. I hit two into the water and made a stupid nine on the hole. My brother had to lay up from the bunker, leaving him right beside the 150-yard marker. He then hit a shot that went right at the pin, rolled right next to the hole, and rolled past. I swear I thought it was going in. He then rolled in the putt for one of the best and most ridiculous pars I’ve ever seen. 

Final standings:

Dad: 50-48—98 (give or take one or two for him, because I’m not completely sure what he had on 18. I marked him down for a six, but it could’ve been higher or lower.)

Me: 49-50—99

Bro: 51-49—100 (I was really nervous, hands shaking, adding up his score, because I had a feeling he’d beaten me and I had no idea how he was doing on the back. I don’t want him to beat me, and I know my teammates wouldn’t ever let me live it down if he did.)

Papa: 50-54—104

Probably the tightest round we’ve had. I’ve got a tournament next Thursday. We’re playing from about 6500 yards, par 70. In gonna do some serious range work in the next few days.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB: