IGNORED

President's Cup Matches Discussion Thread

Natural Patrick
Note: This thread is 3118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@Chilli Dipper Thanks for the point system break down. I think Jay Haas knew Koepka was playing better than his two selections. The problem is...how do you not pick your own son when he is in eleventh place even though the point system doesn't necessarily award recent results? Also I have seen a pattern of "veteran" players that are continuously chosen for the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup regardless of their team competition record (Furyk's is terrible...sometimes he qualifies sometimes he is chosen) or whether they are playing decent golf at the time they are chosen. They say they want experience or some other excuse. They have experience losing, but so what? Why not bring in some fresh energetic new players that are hot when the competition comes around? Probably b/c all the captains are old/champions tour players that want to pick their buddies.

I think the captains are just scared to take a risk, personally. I completely agree that they need to stop picking veterans who have awful records in these competitions. I want some fresh faces like Koepka and Thomas, because we might figure out in this tournament if they're going to be good Ryder Cup players (like we found out with Spieth in 2013). I just don't think Jay Haas wants to risk taking a pair of rookies, losing, and then getting hammered for picking rookies.

Ideally, I want the USA to use the President's Cup as a proving ground for the Ryder Cup for the young players. I bet Koepka will be on the next half dozen President's Cup and Ryder Cup teams. Now he's making his debut in the Ryder Cup (in all likelihood) instead of the lower pressure President's Cup. This is why I think Haas and Mickelson were bad picks. Haas is at least defensible on his play. But I would much rather see exciting, young, bombers getting their first shot at this type of competition.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nearly gagged watching Keegan talking about missing the PC and how he texted Phil on MD this AM. He's still convinced they were something special despite getting beat down last year.

Dave :-)

@Chilli Dipper

Thanks for the point system break down.

I think Jay Haas knew Koepka was playing better than his two selections. The problem is...how do you not pick your own son when he is in eleventh place even though the point system doesn't necessarily award recent results?

Also I have seen a pattern of "veteran" players that are continuously chosen for the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup regardless of their team competition record (Furyk's is terrible...sometimes he qualifies sometimes he is chosen) or whether they are playing decent golf at the time they are chosen. They say they want experience or some other excuse. They have experience losing, but so what? Why not bring in some fresh energetic new players that are hot when the competition comes around? Probably b/c all the captains are old/champions tour players that want to pick their buddies.

I think where Haas messed up is that he respected the list and took his son who was ranked 11th but picking Phil was a wild card pick.  I know he had to take Furyk but if his wrist injury is serious Haas may have an opportunity to add Holmes or Koepka which gives their team another 30 yards off the tee over Furyk.

Joe Paradiso

I think where Haas messed up is that he respected the list and took his son who was ranked 11th but picking Phil was a wild card pick.  I know he had to take Furyk but if his wrist injury is serious Haas may have an opportunity to add Holmes or Koepka which gives their team another 30 yards off the tee over Furyk.

If that is the case. Then I still pick Holmes over Koepka 7 days a week.

If that is the case. Then I still pick Holmes over Koepka 7 days a week.

I mostly agree that Holmes is the better pick, but not sure it's as cut and dry as you do.  Do you not like Koepka or are you a Holmes fan?

Joe Paradiso

I'm crossing my fingers that Furyk bows out gracefully. If that is the case I would love to see Koepka or J.B Holmes take his spot. Apparently Dustin Johnson was outspoken wanting Koepka on the team so they could play together.

I'm crossing my fingers that Furyk bows out gracefully. If that is the case I would love to see Koepka or J.B Holmes take his spot. Apparently Dustin Johnson was outspoken wanting Koepka on the team so they could play together.

I didn't hear DJ did that, I'm sure that isn't going to get him an invite for a BBQ at JB Holmes house.

Joe Paradiso

I didn't hear DJ did that, I'm sure that isn't going to get him an invite for a BBQ at JB Holmes house.

I heard that on PGA Tour radio (Sirus satellite radio). I think it was mentioned during an interview on Fairways of Life or on John McGinnis show. Not really show the exact show but I definitely heard it on PGA tour radio.

I like Koepka but, I guess I like J.B. a little more at this stage in their careers.

I agree, I like J.B. a lot but I think Koepka has a bit more fire in him which can be useful in competitions like this.  I would be fine if either one had to replace Furyk who I know deserved the spot but isn't someone I'd want on the team.

Joe Paradiso

They length has gotten them to being ranked 7 in the world. If Jim is healthy enough to play he is the better player.

Dave :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Koepka for me if Jim is out. Great all round game and really long of the team. As previously stated getting him in early on the team match play would be good in the long run to get the experience.

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

:doh:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I don't think Furyk will play.  He doesn't need the benefits of being on the team and the injury needs to heal.  I also think Jason Day will withdraw.  He was a little iffy on his back on the final round  at the Fed Ex Cup.  That along with his wife being really pregnant will lead to his withdrawal.

Remember, this only my opinion and is open for discussion

I don't think Furyk will play.  He doesn't need the benefits of being on the team and the injury needs to heal.  I also think Jason Day will withdraw.  He was a little iffy on his back on the final round  at the Fed Ex Cup.  That along with his wife being really pregnant will lead to his withdrawal.   Remember, this only my opinion and is open for discussion

Now THAT is a hot sports opinion. Agree on 1st part, not on 2nd, unless complications arise in either the pregnancy or his back. It's a pretty big deal to him, I think. But, I'll be the 1st to come back here and give u props if it happens.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 3118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!