IGNORED

Danny Willett to possibly miss the Masters for birth of 1st child. Would you do the same?

RussUK
Note: This thread is 2944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you were a Tour Pro, would you miss a Major to be at the birth of your 1st child?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a Tour Pro, would you miss a Major to be at the birth of your 1st child?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on how much the promotor offered to pay

55 minutes ago, iacas said:

I didn't see my child being born*, but this sounds to me like one if those things people say because they're supposed to say it, at least in part. Plenty of people miss the birth of their children for far lamer reasons. If it all mattered that much, both the birth and the Masters, just induce a week early.

* She is my step-daughter but neither of us consider her as such and I've known her since she was 1. She has no memory before me being in her life.

Valid point, people do miss the birth for simple things such as traffic. however having been at the birth of my 1st son i have to say it was the best moment of my life and i hope to be at the birth of my 2nd son in April.........hang on, hoe he doenst clash with the Masters ;-)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have no idea what playing at the Masters would mean for me if I would be a professional golfer. 

Looking at it now, I would stay at home. Not only for being present when my child will be born, but even more for support of my wife not going through it alone. I have one son (20 months old now) and I would't want to miss the moment of his birth for the world.

~Jorrit

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I didn't see my child being born*, but this sounds to me like one if those things people say because they're supposed to say it, at least in part. Plenty of people miss the birth of their children for far lamer reasons. If it all mattered that much, both the birth and the Masters, just induce a week early.

* She is my step-daughter but neither of us consider her as such and I've known her since she was 1. She has no memory before me being in her life.

I agree to a certain extent.  If something happened where I could not be there, I would not beat myself up over it.  If given the choice though, I will always choose to be there.  Again, mainly for selfish reasons, and not what it means to my wife or the child.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

3 hours ago, iacas said:

If it all mattered that much, both the birth and the Masters, just induce a week early.

There are people who induce for far lamer reasons as well.  (Doctor has a vacation coming, they really want a specific birthday, what have you)

My answer is tainted by the fact that I know what I would be missing because I've seen it a couple of times.  The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I'd be willing to miss the birth if it was the first child.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

My second child was induced as I was going out-of-state for work and didn't want to be several states away.  So I'm sure if the birth was close, induction would be an option.  At least if it was for the Master's.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 2/5/2016 at 5:12 AM, newtogolf said:

What are the Vegas odds that Willet would finish Top 20?  He's not a top player, factor in that this will be his first Masters and that his focus will be split between golf and his wife giving birth, what are the chances he even makes the cut?

While I can appreciate the magnitude of the opportunity to play in a Masters tournament I still would want to be with my wife when our child was born.

He was T38th last year at the Masters, it would be his second appearance. He has been a top 25 player since the last Open, his win this week is likely to take him inside the top 15 in the OWGR, I think he can feel pretty confident that he'll have other chances at the Masters.

I think being at the birth is a no-brainer.

Complete no brainer at least for me. I can't put myself in the place of an athlete who competes at the very top level or anyone in any profession who is super elite as their motivation and focus is out of this world, but being at the birth of your child is as important as it gets in life IMO.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
6 hours ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

Don't even have to think about this one.

So what's the answer? :-P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
2 hours ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

Family comes first.

Meh.

Maybe for you, in this one certain situation. It doesn't always apply.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Meh.

Maybe for you, in this one certain situation. It doesn't always apply.

Or maybe playing the Masters could be viewed as "family first".  I know my family could use the potential financial gain.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

4 hours ago, 14ledo81 said:

Or maybe playing the Masters could be viewed as "family first".  I know my family could use the potential financial gain.

Yep I think there is some truth to that....at least for me.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

On 21 februari 2016 at 8:42 AM, Scotsclaff said:

No brainer,play in the Masters.

Easy choice, the wife also has a choice (induce). She knows where the money comes from and how important playing the major is to the tourpro.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Looking like a good decision to play…

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Looking like a good decision to play…

It would be a good present for the new born. A master's win. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

It would be a good present for the new born. A master's win. 

Thank god she had the baby!  

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!