IGNORED

Which ball for me?

Note: This thread is 2970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for suggestions on a good ball to play for my capabilities. How do I select the ball that is right for me? Everyone rants about the pro v1 but is it made for everyone? Please let me know how I go about selecting a quality ball. What do you play and why?

Driver - covert 2.0 (9.5) Woods - covert 2.0 (3/5) Hybrids - covert 2.0 (3/4) Irons - vrs-x (5/SW) Putter - :odyssey: metal X (33")

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Currently playing Top Flite Gamer Tour, and liking it.  Heard quite a bit about losing distance, but so far I haven't seen it.  I played mostly Gamer Soft last year and other than trying out the Titelist DT Trusoft to start the year I have stuck with Top Flite for quite awhile.

The Gamer Soft gave me a soft compression 3 piece ball that produced a decent amount of spin around the greens for a surlyn ball.  I'd still play it, but I wanted to try a urethane ball, but didn't want to pay for the brand.  Settled on the gamer tour and it preforms basically the same as the Gamer Soft did for me except I'm able to consistently spin back wedges instead of just checking them up.  I feel safer being more aggressive (though considering how damp my home course has been this winter that may change as it dries out).

Edited by baller7345

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

• iacas changed the title to Which ball for me?
  • Administrator

Check out snellgolf.com. Some of the best balls for the money.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I second the Snell golf balls. Currently I'm using the Get Sum. Just a good quality ball for cheap.

$12.50/doz if you buy the bundle.

Volvik S3.  Lowest driver spin, highest wedge spin.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I like the Srixon Ad333. I have 2 dozen of the 2016 model on their way to me free, courtesy of Todays golfer magazine so looking forward to them. I know they stopped selling them in the US which is a shame as i still think they are one of the best all rounders.

I've heard good thinks about thr Maxfli "U" series, shame they dont sell those here in the UK

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I just posted a thread called "Golf Ball Spin Chart".  Check it out.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Pick one of the Bridgestone, or Volvik balls. You can't go wrong with either of them imho. Yes I have tried other brands too. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 2/23/2016 at 8:18 PM, baller7345 said:

Currently playing Top Flite Gamer Tour, and liking it.  Heard quite a bit about losing distance, but so far I haven't seen it. 

Same here

:cobra:

Edited by 9wood

Deciding on which ball you want depends on what you want out of your ball.  The ProV, like all other tour balls is designed to offer side spin on all shots.  Therefore, expect more draw or fade as opposed to a two piece distance ball which has less side spin.  Therefore, also expect less stopping ability around a green with a two piece than a tour ball.  Also, look at your swing speed and pick the ball that best suits it.  Some are designed for slower swing speeds and some for faster

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

for the last few years I have been playing the Bridgestone E6.

I have played my best round with these balls over the last few years. Dont know what it does better than any other ball, but it works for me.

BTW- The yellow ones go further!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Here are some fitting options.  

http://golf-info-guide.com/golf-ball-fitting/?gclid=CL3J_K7gkMsCFcQjgQodXOQDkg

https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/ball-fitting

https://www.globalgolf.com/golf-balls/selector/

http://www.hagginoaks.com/golf-ball-fitting-system/

http://www.golfball.me/

I like Bridgestone E6, but golfball.me recommended Titleist NXT Tour for me.  I called my cousin who is a golf pro in FL and he said the NXT Tour or NXT Tour S would be the best fit for me.  I purchased some NXT Tour S golf balls from www.lostgolfballs.com yesterday and I will be playing them in FL on Spring Break.  

On 2/23/2016 at 1:17 AM, vangator said:

Volvik S3.  Lowest driver spin, highest wedge spin.

A bit pricey

who is saying that the TopFlite Gamers lose distance off the tee?  i havent found that to be true at all.  i think theres just a ton of people out there who cant get past their bias against what they remember to be "RockFlite" balls.

Colin P.

+1 on the Bridgestone E6 and the Titleist NXT tour S, I love these balls, prefer to hit the BE6 with a driver and anything around the green the NXTs are wonderful for me lovely sound and feel and very predictable results and both balls are much cheaper than the ProV and X's. I buy used balls in pearl grade and 20 BE6's cost me £12 and 20 NXT tour S cost about the same I think. BARGAIN!

Gotta agree with those that said Snell. Both models are great (bought the trial pack) the GET SUM fits my game better, so I requested 6 dozen for Christmas. Awesome quality and price.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 11:48 AM, 9wood said:

A bit pricey

A dozen balls will last me a few years.  I maybe lose a golf ball every 8 10 rounds.  When I'm playing on the weekends, I'll play a Pro V1 or Srizon Z Star (which I don't mind losing) on holes where I could lose a tee shot, so the S3's will last a LONG time for me.  In a tourney, I stick with one ball throughout.

I played my last ball about 1 1/2 years before I lost it hitting in the dark.  Man was it gnarly.

Note: This thread is 2970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!