IGNORED

2016 Masters Prediction Contest Sponsored by PING! Win a G Driver or G Crossover!

georgep
Note: This thread is 2936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but I have first place as:

and second place (with the second pick) as:

Does anyone else see it differently?

bste @ post 23 has Spieth at -4, wouldn't that be the best 2nd choice?

Golf kept me close to my father during the four years in the 1960's that I worked for him on weekends as his caddy. I didn't play then, but later did start playing once he insisted "it was time". It's been a joy ever since.

Adams Tight Lies 2 ST Driver 9 Deg.
Adams Tight Lies 2 ST 3 Wood
Future owner of Titleist Irons & Vokey Wedges
1968 Shakespeare Gary Player Signature Mallet Putter (A gift from my Dad)

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Quantico4th said:

No. Spieth didn't win.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Quantico4th said:

No.  Only the winner of the tournament counts. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

No. Spieth didn't win.

Okay, thanks for that - I see now.

Golf kept me close to my father during the four years in the 1960's that I worked for him on weekends as his caddy. I didn't play then, but later did start playing once he insisted "it was time". It's been a joy ever since.

Adams Tight Lies 2 ST Driver 9 Deg.
Adams Tight Lies 2 ST 3 Wood
Future owner of Titleist Irons & Vokey Wedges
1968 Shakespeare Gary Player Signature Mallet Putter (A gift from my Dad)

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:06 PM, georgep said:

- The Winner will be selected as the first person in the contest to correctly pick both the winner and the score. The runner up will be the second person to correctly pick the winner and score or be the first person to pick closest to the winner/score.

Wouldn't the runner-up be someone who also had Danny Willett as a pick and not who finished 2nd at the Masters (JS), unless no one had DW picked?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

54 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Wouldn't the runner-up be someone who also had Danny Willett as a pick and not who finished 2nd at the Masters (JS), unless no one had DW picked?

@gatsby47 is the runner up because he is the first person to pick Danny Willett with his second pick. Nobody else picked him with their first.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

So this statement, listed within the rules, is actually incorrect:

- In other words, if someone chooses Joe Smith for their first choice - at any score - and you choose him for your second choice, you've wasted your choice. Additionally, if someone chooses Joe Smith at -2 for their first choice, it makes no sense to choose Joe Smith at -2 for any of your choices if you're posting after that entry (unless the person is DQed or ineligible, of course).

3 hours ago, iacas said:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but I have first place as:

and second place (with the second pick) as:

Does anyone else see it differently?

Yes that is correct, but your post is confusing as you only show gastby47's first place pcik

On 3/3/2016 at 7:13 PM, rkim291968 said:

PING is going to help me be fast and forgiving with the new G Driver and Crossover!

1) Rickie Fowler - 13
2) Byeong-hun An - 13
3) Danny Willet - 13

On 3/9/2016 at 11:17 PM, gatsby47 said:

PING is going to help me be fast and forgiving with the new G Driver and Crossover!

1) Jordan Spieth - 12
2) Danny Willett - 12
3) Dustin Johnson -12

On 3/30/2016 at 10:02 AM, Nyoak88 said:

Dustin Johnson -13

Danny Willett -12

Smylie Kaufman -11

On 4/6/2016 at 11:14 AM, Jcuzi said:

"PING is going to help me be fast and forgiving with the new G Driver and Crossover!"

1. Danny Willett -13

2. Martin Kaymer -13

3. Ian Poulter -13

By this it looks to me like Jcuzi is first and gatsby is second

Players play, tough players win!

1 hour ago, billchao said:

@gatsby47 is the runner up because he is the first person to pick Danny Willett with his second pick.

Without actually going through the entries and only going off this statement, are you saying that the score chosen for second or third picks isn't relevant?

12 minutes ago, DCrotty22 said:

- In other words, if someone chooses Joe Smith for their first choice - at any score - and you choose him for your second choice, you've wasted your choice. Additionally, if someone chooses Joe Smith at -2 for their first choice, it makes no sense to choose Joe Smith at -2 for any of your choices if you're posting after that entry (unless the person is DQed or ineligible, of course).

I'm thinking there didn't used to be multiple prizes, and that's when that explanation was written.

Its also a bit of a fluke for a person to win  a major and have exactly one person choose him with their first choice - basically the only scenario that makes that paragraph invalid.

15 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Without actually going through the entries and only going off this statement, are you saying that the score chosen for second or third picks isn't relevant?

The process is the same, you just keep going down the line. The next person who picked Danny Willett with their second pick threw away their selection because the same score was chosen prior.

The only other person to pick Danny Willett to win did so with their third pick which is irrelevant since a valid pick in the second round was found.

It's a weird situation since not many people picked him to win. If Jordan Spieth won, we wouldn't be looking at 2nd picks at all. First to pick the correct score would have won, then the next person who picked the same score.

So just to be clear, what happened was only one person picked Danny Willett to win with their first pick, so they won. Then we had to start going through the second round picks, where he was chosen twice. Since both members picked the same score, the first person to make the selection won.

I'm sorry if my short response caused any confusion.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, DCrotty22 said:

No, it's not.

As @billchao also said, we just go down the line.

The first-place prize was given out, so we moved on for the second-place prize. The entries were invalid for the first-place prize.

And @Wally Fairway, the post has both entries listed. I'm not sure what you're seeing.

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 10.47.55 PM.png

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

59 minutes ago, billchao said:

Since both members picked the same score, 

That cleared it up.  Your previous post was missing this phrase and that's what prompted me to ask the question. :)

Off topic, but in all my years this is probably the closest I've come to winning.  I had DJ at -10 and one person picked him at -9 ... so had he made a couple more putts today I think I'd be sporting a nice new hybrid hybrid. :P

7 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

That cleared it up.  Your previous post was missing this phrase and that's what prompted me to ask the question. :)

Off topic, but in all my years this is probably the closest I've come to winning.  I had DJ at -10 and one person picked him at -9 ... so had he made a couple more putts today I think I'd be sporting a nice new hybrid hybrid. :P

I can't tell if this is a misspelling or a joke based off the fact that the Crossover is a hybrid between a hybrid and an iron.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Great contest guys, thanks for doing this... :beer:

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

3 hours ago, jamo said:

I can't tell if this is a misspelling or a joke based off the fact that the Crossover is a hybrid between a hybrid and an iron.

The latter latter. :)

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Nyoak88 said:

So who got second place, was it me or gatsby47 since we both had Willett picked second at -12?

He picked before you, so he won. But he needs to respond to the PM within the time window.

While you wait, stick around and post more in some other threads.

• Administrator

@gatsby47 you're running out of time. Please check your PMs.

Note: This thread is 2936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!