IGNORED

What ball, and why

Note: This thread is 2289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Srixon Z Stars, sometimes the XV, even tho I don't swing very fast, it seems to be what I like.

The only reason is that I get them for cheap.

Andrew M.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For years I played Titleist NXT Tour S, because it was soft feeling and had some spin. This year as my ball striking improved and now I hardly ever lose balls, I switched to Pro V1 (not Pro V1x) and I couldn't be happier. I get an even softer feel off the face and the backspin I get on greens is fantastic. I wish I had switched sooner.

So, while golfing I found a ball by Wilson called "Zip".... Surprisingly I actually liked it pretty well. Distance was pretty good and it actually did a good job of stopping quickly on the green. Sadly I did end up losing it *shocker, I know rofl*, but it made me want to see where I could buy some. I was happy to find out that they were only $20 for 24 at WalMart, so for less than a dollar a ball I can now play a ball that is not a rock off the tee and actually has a good amount of spin on approach shots. Obviously greenside chips/pitches still roll out a bit more than the softer cover balls I used, but that's an easy adjustment. I definitely recommend giving them a shot if you are as prone to losing golf balls as I am, or even if you aren't they may be decent for you.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

52 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

So, while golfing I found a ball by Wilson called "Zip".... Surprisingly I actually liked it pretty well. Distance was pretty good and it actually did a good job of stopping quickly on the green. Sadly I did end up losing it *shocker, I know rofl*, but it made me want to see where I could buy some. I was happy to find out that they were only $20 for 24 at WalMart, so for less than a dollar a ball I can now play a ball that is not a rock off the tee and actually has a good amount of spin on approach shots. Obviously greenside chips/pitches still roll out a bit more than the softer cover balls I used, but that's an easy adjustment. I definitely recommend giving them a shot if you are as prone to losing golf balls as I am, or even if you aren't they may be decent for you.

One of the guys I golf with regularly uses Wilson Zips and loves them.  I haven't tried them but he likes them so much he'll hand me a Pro V1 he finds because he prefers the Zip.  

Joe Paradiso

3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

One of the guys I golf with regularly uses Wilson Zips and loves them.  I haven't tried them but he likes them so much he'll hand me a Pro V1 he finds because he prefers the Zip.  

I wish I had found these long ago, it would have saved me a lot of money over the years. Now, I'm not crazy, if I find a Pro V1 or V1x I'm going to keep them because I really like how they play, but for the majority of the rounds I play it'll be the Zips.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I can start to notice the difference between the Pro-V1/Bridgestone 330 and some less expensive balls.  The place I notice the most is when scoring takes place.  That said, if I have them I will play them but I do not purchase expensive balls anymore.  I find my favorite for the price is still the Gamer or Gamer Tours.  I also bought quite a few dozen of the Srixon Q-Star that perform very well for just a few bucks more.

I generally wait for a place to go out of business and then come in and offer some low price for like 10 dozen balls.

• 2 weeks later...

Bridgestone B330 RX. Good all round ball, distance and spins on chips and approaches if you hit it well. Loaded up on them when GT had them on sale.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

On 6/24/2016 at 8:02 PM, amoline said:

Srixon Z Stars, sometimes the XV, even tho I don't swing very fast, it seems to be what I like.

The only reason is that I get them for cheap.

You know I'll almost amend this statement. I shot my best round the other day with a Callaway Chrome soft (even better because I got 2 dozen free from Callaway because they screwed up my wedges!). 

I love the Chrome Soft. I may end up switching even though it'll cost me more... ack!

Andrew M.

Just switched to Pro V1x rather than the old NXT Tour S balls. I can't say I love the feel off the putter, or have really noticed much of a distance change from mid range, but the difference in grab around the greens is massive. Definitely got a bit more off a few average drives as well, so that can only be a good thing.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I've been buying Tour Preferred X balls for a couple of years and really like them. I think they have a terrific feel off all of the clubs. I Don't buy ball that often due to price and being a student there are far better things to spend money on, so I do play with quite a range of balls. I am definitely a snob when it comes to balls too. I recently bought a box of chrome soft's due to the rave reviews they have received from a few YouTubers.

More often than not I'll use a ProV1 or a ProV1x or a Chrome Soft.  Why?  Because I find them so why not.  I play a lot of balls and don't think it matters much for someone at my handicap.  I played this morning with a Mojo and was backing it up about 6 feet on the greens but that only matters if I can consistently have the ball land within 15 feet of my target from 80-120 yards or so, I can't.

• 1 month later...

Noodles for me, ever since I stopped showing up with a bag o' shags. Buck a ball and I love the feel. I also like the NXTs, they're just a little pricey still. I'll have to check out those Zips.

well since 2013, i've been messing around with the Maxfli U series balls..  started with the U2,  cuz i had a nasty slice lol..   tried the U3's and U4's both had bad results cuz i still had a awful slice...  then in 2015, i tried the Maxfli Softfli figuring if i worked on slowing my swing down and just making better contact, i'd get straighter drives / keep the ball in play  and lower my scores...   while at first it didnt happen....  this summer has been a world of difference....

So this summer i started out just working on keeping my swing short and making good contact... which has worked wonders!!   i was still using the SoftFli, and hitting my drives a lot straighter and longer..  my iron shots also ended up being better too...    

but then my issue became stopping the ball on the green.. cuz i was hitting a lot of greens but having the ball roll off or i'd go past the pin, but no backspin..    

So today, i decided to try some of the U6lc balls i bought last summer...  and i dont know if they are any longer or shorter off the driver or even the irons..didnt notice anything...   i did lose 2..  1 cuz i grabbed the wrong wedge lol  56-12 on a tight lie and shanked one off into the tree's...  and 2nd ball i tried to cut across a small dogleg right... and sliced the ball into a corn field lol...   

but this ball was awesome on iron and wedge shots..  had several wedge shots, where i spun the ball back..  had a 7iron on a par 3, that i spun the ball back too...    so for green side shots, this ball surprised me alot..  i have tried playing PRoV's and the U4's in the past but my short game wasnt great so i didnt get the good short game control..    

But for someone looking for a good " Tour Type " of ball at a reasonable price, look into the U6's   

i plan on using the U6's for a long time!!      hopefully they dont discontiue these anytime soon

It is what it is

So let me start by saying that I’m a high (30+) handicapper, just getting back from a 9 yr lay off. I shot a 136 the first 18 I played a few weeks ago, and then a 106 the next 18. My swing is jacked (but I’m working on it!), and I lose too many balls, but I really love the Calloway Chrome Soft when I nail it. Love it around the greens, and not too sure if it spins too much off my driver to cause my OB losses. I’ve played some cheap Pinnacles as well that go just as far OB! But I really like the Chromes. Might try the Bridgestone E6 for its “straight” personalities…

Pro-V1. I like the way it feels and I like the way it plays. I have a ton of other balls that people have given me. I got 2 dozen NXT's from friends as parting gifts before moving. Something about not wanting me to attempt recovering golf balls from hazards in Florida... I play other balls when it is a casual round, which is pretty much every round I play, but my default is the Pro-V1.

- Shane

• 4 months later...

I generally prefer the ProV1 lately. I like the feel all around, and I seem to be more consistent. Second choice would be the 330 series from Bridgestone. I don't lose a lot of balls, but when I feel economical, I usually go to Titleist DT SoLo.

I enjoy playing with vintage clubs, meaning wooden woods. A few seasons ago, I began experimenting with various balls advertised as being "soft".  One day I tried the ProV1's and found they worked just as well with my old woods as others advertised as being "softer". As others have said, with my handicap the ball does not make a huge difference, but I just like ProV1's.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

For me, the stickier balls tend to go a little sideways later in the round off the driver. I've noticed that 2-piece balls tend to do better for me. The Titleist Velocity works well. Once the weather and time allow me to play a round again I'm teeing up a new Snell Get Sum. If they work as well or better than the Velocity I'll stick with them to help a small business man and the price is nice.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

Note: This thread is 2289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!