IGNORED

Bryson DeChambeau is now a professional...

krupa
Note: This thread is 2813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

58 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

That's a big "if."

I don't discount that his performances in the Masters and RBC but that's an awfully short track record.  Should he keep it up, I don't doubt that then he'd be in the discussion but right now, I think based on what he's accomplished so far, relative to the others who might be captain's picks, I think it's premature. 

Obviously, if he tanks this summer then no way.  But, assuming he progresses well (maybe misses a cut or 2, gets a top 10 or 2) I'd put him on the team due strictly to his recent match play experience and his youth.  

I'd certainly pick him over Duf, Furyk, Kuchar, Kirk and the like.  I might even pick him over Phil, whose Ryder Cup record has been so so, and on whom I've had a man-crush for 20 years.

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't find the link, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that he was planning to enter everything going in an attempt to make the Ryder Cup team on points alone... Absurdly confident, but that could explain his plans.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Finally saw the "I am an artist" interview.

There is nothing at all arrogant about that interview.  It came across as simply a description of how one gets from practice and science to a feel.  Pretty much an awkward discussion about how to learn golf.

1 - there's physics

2 - then there is mechanics to apply the physics

3 - then you practice and practice the mechanics until you get a natural feel for it

(visualizing and executing a variety of shots, etc etc etc is just application of this process)

I think people tend to be a bit stereotyping when someone talks about science in this activity - that's too bad, there's a lot to learn.  Even worse when these same people get excited about path and face drills, Trackman, club path, 7 keys, AimPoint, gear design, and weight transfer sensing pads, etc....

Bill - 

53 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I might even pick him over Phil, whose Ryder Cup record has been so so, and on whom I've had a man-crush for 20 years.

I take it you're a boob man?

:-P

Edited by Ernest Jones
Added an emoji so no one gets their knickers in a knot.
  • Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You have to have a PGA Tour card to even be in consideration for a Ryder Cup slot, so that's a goal well ahead of where Bryson's sights should be right now.

A top priority of his should be qualifying for the two Opens, since he forfeited his exemption as U.S. Amateur champion by turning pro. There's a ton of money at stake for those who make the weekend, and majors are worth double in FedEx Cup points; furthermore, they would not count against his sponsor's exemptions if he gets into those fields. If his tour status is not guaranteed going into the summer, playing in at least one of those majors could be crucial to his chances.

The cut-off date for exemptions based on world rankings for both events is after the Byron Nelson in May. The threshold for the U.S. Open is the top 60 in the rankings, while only the top 50 at that date will be exempt for the Open Championship; Bryson is currently ranked 205th in the world. That may be too steep of a task for him to achieve in a little over a month, but the U.S. Open has an additional world ranking cut-off the week before the tournament. In between those dates is the Memorial, where the defending U.S. Amateur champion is invited even if he has since turned professional, and as an invitational event, it does not count against Bryson's sponsor's exemptions. Being within the top 60 in the world by June 13 is certainly attainable if he keeps playing well.

Barring that, he could play his way in through Open qualifying events. For the U.S. Open, that's a 36-hole qualifier the day after the Memorial: Bryson made it to Chambers Bay last year via this route, so he can do it again. The Open Championship's qualifiers are a little different: the top four players, not already exempt, finishing in 12th place or better at the St. Jude Classic, the Quicken Loans National, or the Greenbrier Classic qualify. Like the Memorial, the National is an invitational, and the defending U.S. Amateur is automatically entered. That tournament could be Bryson's best path to Royal Troon.

• Upvote 2

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

25 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

You have to have a PGA Tour card to even be in consideration for a Ryder Cup slot, so that's a goal well ahead of where Bryson's sights should be right now.

A top priority of his should be qualifying for the two Opens, since he forfeited his exemption as U.S. Amateur champion by turning pro. There's a ton of money at stake for those who make the weekend, and majors are worth double in FedEx Cup points; furthermore, they would not count against his sponsor's exemptions if he gets into those fields. If his tour status is not guaranteed going into the summer, playing in at least one of those majors could be crucial to his chances.

The cut-off date for exemptions based on world rankings for both events is after the Byron Nelson in May. The threshold for the U.S. Open is the top 60 in the rankings, while only the top 50 at that date will be exempt for the Open Championship; Bryson is currently ranked 205th in the world. That may be too steep of a task for him to achieve in a little over a month, but the U.S. Open has an additional world ranking cut-off the week before the tournament. In between those dates is the Memorial, where the defending U.S. Amateur champion is invited even if he has since turned professional, and as an invitational event, it does not count against Bryson's sponsor's exemptions. Being within the top 60 in the world by June 13 is certainly attainable if he keeps playing well.

Barring that, he could play his way in through Open qualifying events. For the U.S. Open, that's a 36-hole qualifier the day after the Memorial: Bryson made it to Chambers Bay last year via this route, so he can do it again. The Open Championship's qualifiers are a little different: the top four players, not already exempt, finishing in 12th place or better at the St. Jude Classic, the Quicken Loans National, or the Greenbrier Classic qualify. Like the Memorial, the National is an invitational, and the defending U.S. Amateur is automatically entered. That tournament could be Bryson's best path to Royal Troon.

If he loses his status as am champ for the us open then he'd actually have to start at local qualifying, no?

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

If he loses his status as am champ for the us open then he'd actually have to start at local qualifying, no?

The top 500 in the world rankings are exempt from local qualifying. As mentioned, Bryson ranks 205th at the moment, so he's way ahead of the cut line.

• Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

1 hour ago, Chilli Dipper said:

The top 500 in the world rankings are exempt from local qualifying. As mentioned, Bryson ranks 205th at the moment, so he's way ahead of the cut line.

:beer:

How long ago it seemed his school was embroiled in... I don't even remember what the scandal was anymore, something about coaches and illegal (or sketchy) recruitment and it wasn't even in golf, but basketball (or football?), but the golf team still got dinged. Maybe some thought BdC needed some more development in college (university to the rest of the world), but clearly, so far, that's not the case. In a way, so far, it's worked out. Or maybe he would have turned pro, who knows. Whatever the case, he has to thank a shady deal for his fortunate turn of events.

5 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

If he had to local qualify and were in my area, I would go watch him. Maybe he'll play in a regional near me.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

24 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

How long ago it seemed his school was embroiled in... I don't even remember what the scandal was anymore, something about coaches and illegal (or sketchy) recruitment and it wasn't even in golf, but basketball (or football?), but the golf team still got dinged. Maybe some thought BdC needed some more development in college (university to the rest of the world), but clearly, so far, that's not the case. In a way, so far, it's worked out. Or maybe he would have turned pro, who knows. Whatever the case, he has to thank a shady deal for his fortunate turn of events.

A butterfly flaps its wings ...

:)

I think Bryson is going to make the Rydercup team, one way or an other (captains pick). 

Ok, he still could be a not so very good player, just hot right now. But this guy is special in many ways. 21st as an amateur competing against the best players of the world. I will bet the first 5 persons here who are willing to, for a bottle of cava he does make the Rydercup team 2016.

6 hours ago, MacDutch said:

I think Bryson is going to make the Rydercup team, one way or an other (captains pick). 

Ok, he still could be a not so very good player, just hot right now. But this guy is special in many ways. 21st as an amateur competing against the best players of the world. I will bet the first 5 persons here who are willing to, for a bottle of cava he does make the Rydercup team 2016.

It's a long shot, plus I'm not sure he'd be a captains pick because right now all the coverage of his clubs, swing and "mad scientist" approach to golf could been seen as a distraction for the team.  

If he qualifies on points then he deserves to go but if not, I'd leave him home this year.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

It's a long shot, plus I'm not sure he'd be a captains pick because right now all the coverage of his clubs, swing and "mad scientist" approach to golf could been seen as a distraction for the team.  

If he qualifies on points then he deserves to go but if not, I'd leave him home this year.  

Agree.  BTW, here's an article about it from the Ryder Cup website: http://www.rydercup.com/usa/news/bryson-dechambeau-not-yet-eligible-us-ryder-cup-points

He doesn't need a victory to become eligible for RC points, he just needs to accrue enough Fedex Cup points (although he would need a victory to be able to cash in those points at the end of the season) and from last weekend alone he's already in a spot to be 74th in the standings.

He also doesn't need to use a sponsors exemptions this week thanks to his high finish last week.

Also, it looks like he's got until the PGA to acquire points.  Considering he needs to outperform 62 guys who have been accruing points for 18 months or whatever, then if he gets even close at all then he's probably going to be hard to ignore as a captains pick.

But I agree that we're getting way ahead of ourselves with this.  It's been one week.  Luke Donald had an even better week and I don't think anybody is buzzing about his Ryder Cup chances yet. :P

22 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Agree.  BTW, here's an article about it from the Ryder Cup website: http://www.rydercup.com/usa/news/bryson-dechambeau-not-yet-eligible-us-ryder-cup-points

He doesn't need a victory to become eligible for RC points, he just needs to accrue enough Fedex Cup points (although he would need a victory to be able to cash in those points at the end of the season) and from last weekend alone he's already in a spot to be 74th in the standings.

He also doesn't need to use a sponsors exemptions this week thanks to his high finish last week.

Also, it looks like he's got until the PGA to acquire points.  Considering he needs to outperform 62 guys who have been accruing points for 18 months or whatever, then if he gets even close at all then he's probably going to be hard to ignore as a captains pick.

But I agree that we're getting way ahead of ourselves with this.  It's been one week.  Luke Donald had an even better week and I don't think anybody is buzzing about his Ryder Cup chances yet. :P

Who is Luke Donald, does he use single length irons too?  :-P

Joe Paradiso

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:05 AM, iacas said:

Cobra sent me a nice little care package yesterday. Take a look…

2016-04-13 08.53.07.jpg2016-04-13 08.53.12.jpg2016-04-13 08.53.22.jpg2016-04-13 08.53.38.jpg2016-04-13 08.54.06.jpg2016-04-13 08.54.20.jpg

So are we having a TST contest - guess which tournament Byrons wins for the cap?
Second place gets the box!

Players play, tough players win!

10 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

So are we having a TST contest - guess which tournament Byrons wins for the cap?
Second place gets the box!

Hey now  - that hat is a serious contender for a Captain's pick.  Whoever wins it will have to promise to get it to Hazeltine should the need arise. 

No word on the box.

Note: This thread is 2813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!