IGNORED

Your view on Seniors

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 2932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Opinions on Seniors  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of seniors on the course?

• Old, slow, poor players, opinionated - mostly a pain!
    • I'll put up with the codgers... IF they stay out of my way!
    • Age doesn't matter as long as they love the game.
    • They have, and still can, contribute a lot to the game.
    • I hope I can still enjoy the game at their age!

11 hours ago, CR McDivot said:

I've noticed a bit of controversy concerning attitudes towards Seniors (those over 55).

I contend that seniors have a lot to contribute to the game not only in terms of their overwhelming participation rates, but also in relation to the traditional values of sportsmanship, integrity, and courtesy.

Your opinion?

What controversy? A good quarter of my playing partners are seniors. A good number of the younger golfers I know like and respect the seniors at our courses.

BTW, 55 is pretty much the prime for most golfers. Seniors are over 70. I know of a few 68 year old players who play single digits at our courses.

9 hours ago, chilepepper said:

I got a laugh out of 1and 2. I play with a men's group that meets Monday weds and Friday. Ages range from 40's to 80 with most 65 +. Most of us walk.As a rule if there's a 3 some of younger guys in front of us we are usually on their butts the whole way around.

An exec course I play is surrounded by 55+ communities. The old guys have no problem keeping pace, walking. 

Not only keeping pace, some of them will run you over. Especially some of the 65+ year old ladies, walking. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a 60-year old "codger", I wanted to vote for all of the last 3, but since I was limited to one choice, I didn't vote.  

I see slow players of all ages.  I do see a few of my older friends slowing down.  For a few of these guys, the excess of free time they have as retirees has seemingly robbed them of any concern for playing at a reasonable pace.  Please note that I said "a few", most of these guys still play as fast as ever.  As to poor players, lets play a match.  I know I'll lose a few, but I'll win more.  Opinionated?  No more than many of the younger guys, but in many cases with more experience and knowledge to back it up.

I'd like the young guys to play at a reasonable enough pace to stay out of MY way.  I've been playing longer, and have been a member at my home club, for much longer than they have.  More important, I play quickly enough to feel comfortable with 3:45 rounds for a walking 4-ball in Scotland.

I love the game, and I know many people both younger and older that love it too.

While I have relatively limited use for some of the statistical evaluations that many of the TST members utilize, I believe I have lots to offer to the game, and to my fellow players.  A lot of that comes from competing (and occasionally losing), learning rules, learning to cope with difficult circumstances and people, things that can only be got from experience.  

I DO hope I can continue to enjoy the game, at whatever age I get to.  I sure enjoy it now, and am playing some of the best golf of my life these days.

Now that I've vented a bit, I can say that I've never felt any controversy within this forum related to us old folks.  We have a great community of friends here, with an amazing and continuous exchange of experiences, advice, and support.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I am more troubled by young fat guys in carts than by seniors out walking.

On a public course, you are going to see all kinds.  If they were really good they probably wouldn't be playing there.

Show some patience.

4 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

CR, if possible, maybe modify the poll choices.  None really fit my situation.

Agree with this, but I went with 4 since it seems to cover his concerns.

I had no idea where this was coming from until I read @DaveP043's comment about slow play. I agree and slow play is certainly not prevalent among the seniors I know. Our course is full of seniors who not only keep pace, but complain about slow play as well.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

12 hours ago, CR McDivot said:

I've noticed a bit of controversy concerning attitudes towards Seniors (those over 55).

I contend that seniors have a lot to contribute to the game not only in terms of their overwhelming participation rates, but also in relation to the traditional values of sportsmanship, integrity, and courtesy.

Your opinion?

I'm not sure where the controversy and perceived angst towards seniors was noticed by the OP, but it seems like CR is trying to start it.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

I'm a 67 year old codger and there has never been a time where I slowed anyone down. I'm always being slowed down by other golfers of all age groups. Personally I think younger players ought to pair up with a senior sometime. I think you might even enjoy it.

I couldn't vote because not of the options are any that I would personally choose.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, 9wood said:

I'm a 67 year old codger and there has never been a time where I slowed anyone down. I'm always being slowed down by other golfers of all age groups. Personally I think younger players ought to pair up with a senior sometime. I think you might even enjoy it.

I couldn't vote because not of the options are any that I would personally choose.

One of my first 18 hole rounds was with an older gentleman. His bag had his name engraved on it. I thought that was pretty cool.  He played much better than I, even though I could out drive him by several yards. Probably beat me by 15+ strokes.

He went out of his way to show me a few things to help my score.

At the end, on the 18th green, we took off our hats, and we shook hands. I ask him what he thought of my over all game. He told there were some things that I still needed to learn, and that he liked my on course attitude. I gained a lot respect for the game and others who played the game that day

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The beauty of golf is it can be enjoyed and performed on the same course by people from little kids to very senior. What other sport can boast that? We've created tees for various abilities and playing lengths, a handicap system so all can compete against each other and added carts so those who have trouble walking can keep pace. It is a perfect sport for lifetime enjoyment.

I enjoy playing with folks other or younger than me. I agree with others that "jerks" come in all age brackets. Luckily I have rarely encountered them in my group.

Totally agree with Boogie's point of view - game is just as much fun for me at age 62 as it was for me at age 10 when I started playing.  Just playing different tees now compared to when I was in the 18 to mid 50's age range when I could hit it farther. 

Would have to say that most folks I encounter on a golf course are usually pretty nice people - it's just some of the folks you have to deal with on the SoCal freeways to get there that make you think that 25% of the population driving cars has no concern for their own or other's well-being.

Edited by Coronagolfman

No offense to anyone, but who cares what others think? Age, gender, race, lifestyle... doesn't matter. 

I sometimes think a lot of us have become a bit too sensitive - like everyone should accept us and like us. It's to the point where the word "offensive" has become over-used. (Then again, it shouldn't matter to anyone else what I think.)

Anyway, what kind of person dislikes older golfers? (rhetorical question). It's not as though any of 'em are immune from becoming one. Well, unless....

So that's what the hell I think! Now get off my lawn you punk kids!!!

• Upvote 2

Jon

My first ever round that I played was with a few senior golfers.  The age gap was 40 years.  If anything, they instilled the fact that you can suck at golf yet still go out and have fun.....even you take 8 strokes on a par 3.

I've never really had any issues with them.  The nicest comment was when I was at the driving range and guy obviously way over 65 came up to me and said "Jeeze son, I got to tell you that you hit that 3 hybrid farther than I can hit my dang driver!"

:tmade: SLDR 10.5 Driver, SLDR 3 Wood,3H & 5H,RBZ Iron's 4-PW

:vokey: 54°F-Grind 14°bounce &  58°K-grind 11° bounce
:scotty_cameron: Newport 2.5

I guess I'm the only one who voted 2, I'm ok with seniors, just stay outta my way.  

I feel the same for any group that could be segmented.  I don't want to be held up and I've been stuck behind a million different subsets of humans that pissed me off.  I play with seniors that are fast and slow, ball hawks and former pros.  Just keep it moving, regardless your age, gender, race, or religion and we'll get on famously.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I voted 4. I just pray to have the health to be able to enjoy the game, if I make it to 60 years of age, Going to have to change a few things for that to happen. I eat what I want and drink to much and after 40 years of living this stubborn lifestyle. It's finally catching up with me.

7 hours ago, 9wood said:

As a 22 year old about to graduate college, I enjoy playing with a senior every now and then.  Seniors always seem to make the best course conversation and can always cheer someone up when they're having a poor round.  It took me a little time to realize it, but seniors contribute more than just knowledge of the game of golf: they contribute wisdom and judgement...a valuable lesson for anyone just beginning the game.  

Then again, as a young person, I always enjoy a day out on the links with my buddies and [more than] a few beers :-D

Not sure what all the fuss is about their pace of play...they all seem to hit their shots straight.  If anything, its us young guns trying to reach the par 5s in 2 and chasing our balls all over the course who're the slow ones.

• Upvote 3

I turned 65 last year, so to have any attitude about seniors would be self-loathing. I have been playing golf for more than 55 years and that should be worth something.  My brother is in town and we are playing today, even though it looks pretty wet for Nevada.

I'm 64 and had a chance to play with our son yesterday at a local course that is dominated with seniors.  For the most part, they seem really nice, having a great time, and I enjoy their company.  It is not an executive course, but it certainly isn't long.  Now I have a bum shoulder and I can only drive it around 200 yards... it is what it is.  I hit from the middle tees.  I have recently discovered how much more fun it is to play without having to strain to reach longer holes.

My only beef yesterday as to see "seniors" (quite a bit older than I), hitting from the back tees.  I know that even I am out driving them by a bunch, but here they are trying to reach 175 yards par 3's with their driver when they should be playing it down at 160 yards.  And it wasn't just one group.  It seemed like they were all playing form those tees.

So my question is... what's up with this back tee mentality?  Do they really think no one notices?

John

Note: This thread is 2932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!