IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Are you saying you would rather have a 1 stroke lead over a 10 stroke lead?!

I'm saying that when players build up those 4-5 shot cushions in major championships, they have a tendency to loosen up too much once the pressure of being in the lead on Sunday starts to build. Once strokes start dropping, the pressure of leading turns into the pressure of giving up a big lead. The wheels can fall off quickly if a player isn't careful, especially if he hasn't been in the position of leading a major before.

• Upvote 2

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

3 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

I'm saying that when players build up those 4-5 shot cushions in major championships, they have a tendency to loosen up too much once the pressure of being in the lead on Sunday starts to build. Once strokes start dropping, the pressure of leading turns into the pressure of giving up a big lead, and the wheels can fall off quickly if he isn't careful.

Lowry won at WGC last year where he was leading most of the way on Sunday and I think that experience will go a long way today. It wasn't a major but it was money wise it was and was against the best field in golf. I definitely think that's gonna help him a lot this afternoon. His putting seems to be impeccable.

Edited by ChrisP

6 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

I'm saying that when players build up those 4-5 shot cushions in major championships, they have a tendency to loosen up too much once the pressure of being in the lead on Sunday starts to build. Once strokes start dropping, the pressure of leading turns into the pressure of giving up a big lead. The wheels can fall off quickly if a player isn't careful, especially if he hasn't been in the position of leading a major before.

Every player would take a two shot lead over a 1.   Or a 4 shot lead over a 2.  Or a 8 stroke lead over a 4.  

You are simply remembering the collapses of huge leads.   There have been thousands more leads of 1 or 2 strokes that have been choked away.  

Selective attention is skewing you, remembering the bad collapses over the small ones. 

• Upvote 1

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

I did not expect a lot of names on top of the leader board to be there. I am still hoping for DJ or Sergio to win.  Would make a great story. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unless your a Lowry fan, this isnt too thrilling.Pulling for Sergio and Westwood doesnt look to promising.DJ will probably be over par by 5th hole with his history.All depends on if lowry implodes.

Wow I think Lowry got a big break not having to play with DJ. I think DJ could have put a charge on and crank up the pressure on him. Lowry may be more relaxed playing with a guy he's 600 spots better in the world on. But we'll see. I just think mentally it's an advantage.

Edited by ChrisP

• Administrator
9 hours ago, CCC said:

Where is everybody? I've never seen so many empty seats at a US Open. There would be no empty seats if this was the US Open at Pinehurst. I have to wait and see what the final numbers are for attendance. But, this is not looking very good so far.

That was 16 when the leaders were all on about the fourth hole, which is really far away. Day and Spieth had gone through long before.

The attendance has been incredible.

I could show you a photo of 16 right now and the stands are nearly empty. But 20,000 people are here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What time does R4 start?

7 minutes ago, alleztom said:

What time does R4 start?

Question withdrawn - 10am local.

• Upvote 1

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

2 minutes ago, RandallT said:

image.png

Times for east coast USA. 

And FOXs broadcast comes on the air at 11am ET.   That's a good 4.5 hours before the leaders even tee off. 

CBS comes on right when the leaders tee off at Augusta, and that's only Sunday. 

Will be interesting to see how the course is set up and how hard it is playing before the leaders get going. 

How far back is too far?  Day at +1?

Tony  

As an Irish man I havent felt this good watching a golf tournament since 2007 when Harrington won the Open.

Ill be hoping for less drama tonight and for Shane to walk this one in! Couldn't happen to nicer bloke.

Seemed Supremely confident in his post round interview. Hopefully steps up to the first with the same confidence!

• Upvote 1

What's with all the low scores at the US Open? The experts were saying before the open started that winning score would be expected to be +3 or +4 

1 minute ago, dchoye said:

What's with all the low scores at the US Open? The experts were saying before the open started that winning score would be expected to be +3 or +4 

Rain....

Tony  

2 minutes ago, dchoye said:

Just shows you what a few inches of rain can do.

45 minutes ago, iacas said:

That was 16 when the leaders were all on about the fourth hole, which is really far away. Day and Spieth had gone through long before.

The attendance has been incredible.

I could show you a photo of 16 right now and the stands are nearly empty. But 20,000 people are here.

With the course as wide open as it is, especially on the east side of the course, it almost looks more like a rock festival than a golf tournament at times.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Note: This thread is 2837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!