IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've got a horse for the course in mind for this championship. I can't say who, though: I'm waiting to decide whether I can slot him in as the first or second choice in my entry for the prediction contest.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm looking at the current standings at the Columbus sectional, and the medalist position is held by a golfer named Ethan Tracy. So many PGA Tour players in this qualifier, and the low man on the course doesn't only not have a PGA Tour card; he doesn't even have a  Web.com Tour card! He plays on the PGA Tour Latinoamerica, and according to his player profile, he hasn't made the cut in any professional tournament in 2016.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I'm also 90 percent certain the lowest finisher at the Springfield sectional is Andrew W.K.'s brother, which means you will hear this at least a few times during Fox's TV coverage.

The US Open is by far my favorite tournament. Its my dream to just to play in it. Its the highlight of my golf year. 

28 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

I'm looking at the current standings at the Columbus sectional, and the medalist position is held by a golfer named Ethan Tracy. So many PGA Tour players in this qualifier, and the low man on the course doesn't only not have a PGA Tour card; he doesn't even have a  Web.com Tour card! He plays on the PGA Tour Latinoamerica, and according to his player profile, he hasn't made the cut in any professional tournament in 2016.

Thats why I've never gotten past sectionals. Too many professionals out there to compete with. I really believe the USGA should consider an amateur only line of qualifying the US Open. Just for my sake..:content:

18 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I really believe the USGA should consider an amateur only line of qualifying the US Open. Just for my sake..:content:

If they changed qualifying so pros and amateurs didn't play together, it wouldn't be an open anymore, would it?

14 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

If they changed qualifying so pros and amateurs didn't play together, it wouldn't be an open anymore, would it?

It would be even more open. More open for me to qualify. 

16 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Thats why I've never gotten past sectionals. Too many professionals out there to compete with. I really believe the USGA should consider an amateur only line of qualifying the US Open. Just for my sake..:content:

I'm thinking that the USGA should try to identify the golfers who perform best, whether they're professionals or amateurs.  If I want to see the next tier of players, I can go to some of the state and regional amateur events.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

My son and I had a good time walking Woodmont CC to watch a couple hours of yesterday's sectional qualifying.  We got to see Billy Hurley, who was the medalist and we followed local Dennis McCarthy who finished in a 3 way tie for 2nd and then made the Open in a playoff.  At Woodmont the top 3 advanced, so one of the 2nd place finishers was left off.

Also it was cool to walk such a nice course in the fairways and get so close to the players.  The fairways are nicer than some greens I've played.

You can see the pics I took here:
https://goo.gl/photo...TT4C4FgihUyQhj6

• Upvote 3

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

I managed to score twenty six free tickets, at least two for every day and a potential Monday playoff.  Plus a free parking pass.  Sweet.

• Upvote 2

"Witty golf quote."

On 6/6/2016 at 2:48 PM, Groucho Valentine said:

The US Open is by far my favorite tournament. Its my dream to just to play in it. Its the highlight of my golf year. 

Why stop at the Sectional level???  If they really cared about us amateurs then they'd create a tournament that excluded those pesky professionals completely!  I'm having trouble coming up with a name though.  Any ideas?

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2016 at 10:32 PM, davechen said:

My son and I had a good time walking Woodmont CC to watch a couple hours of yesterday's sectional qualifying.  We got to see Billy Hurley, who was the medalist and we followed local Dennis McCarthy who finished in a 3 way tie for 2nd and then made the Open in a playoff.  At Woodmont the top 3 advanced, so one of the 2nd place finishers was left off.

Also it was cool to walk such a nice course in the fairways and get so close to the players.  The fairways are nicer than some greens I've played.

You can see the pics I took here:
https://goo.gl/photo...TT4C4FgihUyQhj6

Nice pics,thanks.

Just had a look at the Oakmont layout,the Par 3 8TH hole,only 288 yards,haha!!

Edited by Scotsclaff

13 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Why stop at the Sectional level???  If they really cared about us amateurs then they'd create a tournament that excluded those pesky professionals completely!  I'm having trouble coming up with a name though.  Any ideas?

I played in that one at Cherry Hills a few years ago. I need US Open power.  

Edited by Groucho Valentine

19 hours ago, Scotsclaff said:

Nice pics,thanks.

Just had a look at the Oakmont layout,the Par 3 8TH hole,only 288 yards,haha!!

Thats crazy.  I know they did it in 07 but wow. Didn't a bunch of the guys complain about a long par 3 at Merion?  I am excited to watch it  though.

Oakmont #8 plays significantly downhill, has a flat area without bunkers in front of the green that's a very safe landing area and can allow players to roll the ball onto the green Open Championship style if necessary.  It's really not as difficult as it sounds.  I find the Par 3 6th and 16th to be more difficult.  Although, of course, I'm approaching it from the blue tees with amateur skill sets.  

Well, I just looked up the average scores from 2007 before I submitted the post and #8 played as the toughest Par 3, 5th hardest hole overall.  So yeah, 288 yards is tough.

EDIT--Found those stats on this site, in fact.

Edited by Aguirre

"Witty golf quote."

2 hours ago, Aguirre said:

Oakmont #8 plays significantly downhill, has a flat area without bunkers in front of the green that's a very safe landing area and can allow players to roll the ball onto the green Open Championship style if necessary.  It's really not as difficult as it sounds.  I find the Par 3 6th and 16th to be more difficult.  Although, of course, I'm approaching it from the blue tees with amateur skill sets.  

Well, I just looked up the average scores from 2007 before I submitted the post and #8 played as the toughest Par 3, 5th hardest hole overall.  So yeah, 288 yards is tough.

EDIT--Found those stats on this site, in fact.

I look at it as a fantastic challenge for the guys.

I'm pretty miffed at not being able to watch it though,still offshore for another 4 weeks. Bummer!!!

Downhill 288 with a chance to roll it on, sounds like a long iron or hybrid for most of these guys.  I play those kinds of holes all the time.  If I remember right, #6 at Pinehurst could have played as long as 250, and is nearly level.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:36 PM, Golfingdad said:

Any ideas?

U.S. Amateur

23 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I need US Open power.  

16Am_270.png     

Oakland Hills Country Club, Bloomfield Hills, Mich.

August 15-21, 2016

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!