Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
krupa

Muirfield Out of Open Rota, Denies Women Membership

Note: This thread is 1273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

206 posts / 11226 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/15605581/muirfield-loses-open-championship-vote-allowing-women-members

Muirfield members voted to maintain their "no women members" rule.  As a result, the R&A has taken them out of consideration for hosting the Open.

As a private club, Muirfield can do what they want, but the mindset seems a more than a little out-dated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, krupa said:

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/15605581/muirfield-loses-open-championship-vote-allowing-women-members

Muirfield members voted to maintain their "no women members" rule.  As a result, the R&A has taken them out of consideration for hosting the Open.

As a private club, Muirfield can do what they want, but the mindset seems a more than a little out-dated.

The pressure is on for all clubs to be more inclusive. I just don't understand why you would want to attract half the population. But on the other hand, it is their club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yet this year's host is still men only. And until 2014 St. Andrews was men only.  Augusta National was men only until 2012. I don't agree with clubs not allowing women to join, but I don't see why that has any bearing on them hosting an event. In the end, it doesn't really bother me much either way because we'll still be able to watch them play on fantastic courses.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Yet this years host is still men only. And until 2014 St. Andrews was men only.  Augusta National was men only until 2012. I don't agree with clubs not allowing women to join, but I don't see why that has any bearing on them hosting an event. In the end, it doesn't really bother me much either way because we'll still be able to watch them play on fantastic courses.

The R&A doesn't want to be accused of supporting/approving sexism.

10 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The pressure is on for all clubs to be more inclusive. I just don't understand why you would want to attract half the population. But on the other hand, it is their club.

I have read this 3 or 4 times and can't quite figure out what you mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, krupa said:

The R&A doesn't want to be accused of supporting/approving sexism.

Like I said, the host this year is still men only. So, I assume that they'll remove this course from the rotation if they don't change their policy as well. Either way, doesn't really make much difference to me because there are plenty of great courses to replace any that they remove from the rotation. I actually figure the next time they do a vote at Muirfield the change will pass though, it only failed by a fairly slim margin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, krupa said:

The R&A doesn't want to be accused of supporting/approving sexism.

I have read this 3 or 4 times and can't quite figure out what you mean.

Half the population of the Earth are female. I'm sure the UK has wealthy women who would join a private club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Half the population of the Earth are female. I'm sure the UK has wealthy women who would join a private club.

It's still confusing what you mean Scott. Are you sure you didn't mean to say "wouldn't?"

I think if a club wants to stay men-only that's their prerogative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For context, the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews (officially separate from the R&A) only voted to offer membership to women a year and a half ago. Muirfield's slot in the rota isn't going to come around again until the 2020s, and it's still the only championship-worthy venue near the Scottish capital of Edinburgh. This isn't the end of the story; there's still a lot of time for all sides to settle their differences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no issue with a private club wanting to be men only. The R&A has a right to set what ever level of standards they want for a course to be considered for The Open rotation. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's still confusing what you mean Scott. Are you sure you didn't mean to say "wouldn't?"

I think if a club wants to stay men-only that's their prerogative.

Very true, but in Muirfield's case, the course was developed specifically to host the Open Championship. The question is whether the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers believe resisting integration is worth forfeiting the major element of its identity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's still confusing what you mean Scott. Are you sure you didn't mean to say "wouldn't?"

I think if a club wants to stay men-only that's their prerogative.

yeah. :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Very true, but in Muirfield's case, the course was developed specifically to host the Open Championship. The question is whether the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers believe resisting integration is worth forfeiting the major element of its identity.

Apparently some members consider that resistance to change is also a major element of their identity:

Quote

[A group of members] writing in a letter: "It is accepted that we may have to change, but we should not do so now on the basis suggested.

"A traditional resistance to change is one of the foundations of our unique position in golf and our reputation.

 

Edited by krupa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I have no issue with a private club wanting to be men only. The R&A has a right to set what ever level of standards they want for a course to be considered for The Open rotation. 

 

Yup.

I also have no issue with those organizations that limit their membership to only women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This isn't much different from the decision by the R&A  not to schedule Turnberry to host the Open, based on its owner's public statements.  The members of Muirfield absolutely have the right to make their own decisions as to who is eligible for membership, just as Mr. Trump has the right to say whatever he chooses to say.  The R&A absolutely has the right to make its decisions based on public statements and membership policies of the various clubs.  I'm guessing that within the next several years the membership at The Honourable Company will find an additional 3 or 4% who will vote to allow female members, and return to its appropriate place in the Open rota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This isn't much different from the decision by the R&A  not to schedule Turnberry to host the Open, based on its owner's public statements.  The members of Muirfield absolutely have the right to make their own decisions as to who is eligible for membership, just as Mr. Trump has the right to say whatever he chooses to say.  The R&A absolutely has the right to make its decisions based on public statements and membership policies of the various clubs.  I'm guessing that within the next several years the membership at The Honourable Company will find an additional 3 or 4% who will vote to allow female members, and return to its appropriate place in the Open rota.


I agree with all that, and will add that I would guess it's a generational thing; that as the older members die off, the percentages will swing in favor of change.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

These discussions always go the same direction; "it's a private club, they can do whatever they want!"

Of course they can!  Nobody, including the R&A, is saying any differently.

The R&A is simply also recognizing their right to do as they wish as well ... by excluding them from the Open.  You'd think they'd understand. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

These discussions always go the same direction; "it's a private club, they can do whatever they want!"

Of course they can!  Nobody, including the R&A, is saying any differently.

The R&A is simply also recognizing their right to do as they wish as well ... by excluding them from the Open.  You'd think they'd understand. ;)

who's on first?  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When your club membership requirements are less open than that of Augusta National's requirements, you know you're behind the times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...