IGNORED

Muirfield Out of Open Rota, Denies Women Membership

krupa
Note: This thread is 2663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/15605581/muirfield-loses-open-championship-vote-allowing-women-members

Muirfield members voted to maintain their "no women members" rule.  As a result, the R&A has taken them out of consideration for hosting the Open.

As a private club, Muirfield can do what they want, but the mindset seems a more than a little out-dated.

• Upvote 3

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, krupa said:

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/15605581/muirfield-loses-open-championship-vote-allowing-women-members

Muirfield members voted to maintain their "no women members" rule.  As a result, the R&A has taken them out of consideration for hosting the Open.

As a private club, Muirfield can do what they want, but the mindset seems a more than a little out-dated.

The pressure is on for all clubs to be more inclusive. I just don't understand why you would want to attract half the population. But on the other hand, it is their club.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yet this year's host is still men only. And until 2014 St. Andrews was men only.  Augusta National was men only until 2012. I don't agree with clubs not allowing women to join, but I don't see why that has any bearing on them hosting an event. In the end, it doesn't really bother me much either way because we'll still be able to watch them play on fantastic courses.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 minute ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Yet this years host is still men only. And until 2014 St. Andrews was men only.  Augusta National was men only until 2012. I don't agree with clubs not allowing women to join, but I don't see why that has any bearing on them hosting an event. In the end, it doesn't really bother me much either way because we'll still be able to watch them play on fantastic courses.

The R&A doesn't want to be accused of supporting/approving sexism.

10 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The pressure is on for all clubs to be more inclusive. I just don't understand why you would want to attract half the population. But on the other hand, it is their club.

I have read this 3 or 4 times and can't quite figure out what you mean.

2 minutes ago, krupa said:

Like I said, the host this year is still men only. So, I assume that they'll remove this course from the rotation if they don't change their policy as well. Either way, doesn't really make much difference to me because there are plenty of great courses to replace any that they remove from the rotation. I actually figure the next time they do a vote at Muirfield the change will pass though, it only failed by a fairly slim margin.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

6 minutes ago, krupa said:

I have read this 3 or 4 times and can't quite figure out what you mean.

Half the population of the Earth are female. I'm sure the UK has wealthy women who would join a private club.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Half the population of the Earth are female. I'm sure the UK has wealthy women who would join a private club.

It's still confusing what you mean Scott. Are you sure you didn't mean to say "wouldn't?"

I think if a club wants to stay men-only that's their prerogative.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For context, the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews (officially separate from the R&A) only voted to offer membership to women a year and a half ago. Muirfield's slot in the rota isn't going to come around again until the 2020s, and it's still the only championship-worthy venue near the Scottish capital of Edinburgh. This isn't the end of the story; there's still a lot of time for all sides to settle their differences.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I have no issue with a private club wanting to be men only. The R&A has a right to set what ever level of standards they want for a course to be considered for The Open rotation. 

• Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's still confusing what you mean Scott. Are you sure you didn't mean to say "wouldn't?"

Very true, but in Muirfield's case, the course was developed specifically to host the Open Championship. The question is whether the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers believe resisting integration is worth forfeiting the major element of its identity.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

yeah. :-P

Scott

My Swing Thread

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Very true, but in Muirfield's case, the course was developed specifically to host the Open Championship. The question is whether the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers believe resisting integration is worth forfeiting the major element of its identity.

Apparently some members consider that resistance to change is also a major element of their identity:

[A group of members] writing in a letter: "It is accepted that we may have to change, but we should not do so now on the basis suggested.

"A traditional resistance to change is one of the foundations of our unique position in golf and our reputation.

Edited by krupa

5 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I have no issue with a private club wanting to be men only. The R&A has a right to set what ever level of standards they want for a course to be considered for The Open rotation. 

Yup.

I also have no issue with those organizations that limit their membership to only women.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

This isn't much different from the decision by the R&A  not to schedule Turnberry to host the Open, based on its owner's public statements.  The members of Muirfield absolutely have the right to make their own decisions as to who is eligible for membership, just as Mr. Trump has the right to say whatever he chooses to say.  The R&A absolutely has the right to make its decisions based on public statements and membership policies of the various clubs.  I'm guessing that within the next several years the membership at The Honourable Company will find an additional 3 or 4% who will vote to allow female members, and return to its appropriate place in the Open rota.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

16 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This isn't much different from the decision by the R&A  not to schedule Turnberry to host the Open, based on its owner's public statements.  The members of Muirfield absolutely have the right to make their own decisions as to who is eligible for membership, just as Mr. Trump has the right to say whatever he chooses to say.  The R&A absolutely has the right to make its decisions based on public statements and membership policies of the various clubs.  I'm guessing that within the next several years the membership at The Honourable Company will find an additional 3 or 4% who will vote to allow female members, and return to its appropriate place in the Open rota.

I agree with all that, and will add that I would guess it's a generational thing; that as the older members die off, the percentages will swing in favor of change.  

These discussions always go the same direction; "it's a private club, they can do whatever they want!"

Of course they can!  Nobody, including the R&A, is saying any differently.

The R&A is simply also recognizing their right to do as they wish as well ... by excluding them from the Open.  You'd think they'd understand. ;)

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

These discussions always go the same direction; "it's a private club, they can do whatever they want!"

Of course they can!  Nobody, including the R&A, is saying any differently.

The R&A is simply also recognizing their right to do as they wish as well ... by excluding them from the Open.  You'd think they'd understand. ;)

who's on first?  ;-)

When your club membership requirements are less open than that of Augusta National's requirements, you know you're behind the times.

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!