IGNORED

No PGA Tour stop at Trump National Doral Miami

Jeremie Boop
Note: This thread is 2898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/pga-tour-moving-event-at-trump-owned-doral-to-mexico/ar-BBtKrSP

Interesting. Trump's comment on kidnapping insurance may not be too far off either, unless things have changed since I lived down in Mission, TX. When I lived there a few years ago kidnappings in Mexico were extremely common, so much so that my Ex and her family at the time said they wouldn't want to take me over there. They weren't discriminatory on who they'd take either, they'd take whoever they could and get whatever money they could for that person. That said, it's not surprising to see the PGA pulling the event from there, just don't think moving it to Mexico is the best way to go. It's almost like they are doing it as an added dig to Trump because they disavowed him specifically for his statements about Mexicans.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From the article " the tour is leaving for Mexico because it couldn't find a title sponsor. Cadillac's sponsorship ended this year, and it chose not to renew."

and

"The tour has spent a year trying to find a replacement, and it became more difficult as Trump gained notoriety with his caustic comments during his presidential campaign. That began with Trump's announcement that he was running, when he said Mexico was sending its unwanted people to the United States, and that in many cases they were "criminals, drug dealers, rapists."

So basically Trump ran his mouth and scared off sponsors.

And now he is going to use this for political gain: "No different than Nabisco, Carrier and so many other American companies, the PGA Tour has put profit ahead of thousands of American jobs, millions of dollars in revenue for local communities and charities and the enjoyment of hundreds of thousands of fans who make the tournament an annual tradition," Trump said. "This decision only further embodies the very reason I am running for president of the United States."

Does anyone care where the tournaments are held aside from the Masters?

• Upvote 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

3 minutes ago, Elmer said:

From the article " the tour is leaving for Mexico because it couldn't find a title sponsor. Cadillac's sponsorship ended this year, and it chose not to renew."

and

"The tour has spent a year trying to find a replacement, and it became more difficult as Trump gained notoriety with his caustic comments during his presidential campaign. That began with Trump's announcement that he was running, when he said Mexico was sending its unwanted people to the United States, and that in many cases they were "criminals, drug dealers, rapists."

So basically Trump ran his mouth and scared off sponsors.

And now he is going to use this for political gain: "No different than Nabisco, Carrier and so many other American companies, the PGA Tour has put profit ahead of thousands of American jobs, millions of dollars in revenue for local communities and charities and the enjoyment of hundreds of thousands of fans who make the tournament an annual tradition," Trump said. "This decision only further embodies the very reason I am running for president of the United States."

Does anyone care where the tournaments are held aside from the Masters?

I don't really care where tournaments are held at all. I know about not being able to find a sponsor, which again, isn't surprising. What is surprising, is their choice of replacement location.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

2 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Yeah, Florida is really hurting for PGA Tour events.

Don't we usually have a thread every year about the World Golf Championships not being really WORLD Golf Championships if they're mostly in the U.S. anyway? Seems to make sense to me, even if Mexico isn't exactly a world away.

• Upvote 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Mexico City's murder rate is lower than Atlanta, Washington DC, Baltimore, St. Louis, New Orleans, Cleveland, Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, and Miami. Kidnapping rates in Mexico have gone way down recently. Mexico City is massive city - some PGA Tour players being there is barely a blip on the radar. It has generally hasn't seen the same extent of problems that northern Mexico has. But, that's way too nuanced, so yeah, PGA Tour needs kidnapping insurance!

I'd say if we're really worried about safety, we're going to have to get rid of a lot of events in US cities before we even talk about Mexico City.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

The LPGA doesn't seem worried about Mexico City. Why should the PGA?

http://www.lpga.com/tournaments/lorena-ochoa-invitational-presented-by-banamex/overview

I was never enamored with Doral anyway. If they are going to do a WGC event, I would rather it go to different courses so we can see new ones.

• Upvote 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

58 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The LPGA doesn't seem worried about Mexico City. Why should the PGA?

http://www.lpga.com/tournaments/lorena-ochoa-invitational-presented-by-banamex/overview

I was never enamored with Doral anyway. If they are going to do a WGC event, I would rather it go to different courses so we can see new ones.

That's a good point, I don't follow the LPGA at all so I wasn't aware of them already playing down there.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

PGA Tour already plays in Mexico. Graham McDowell won the OHL last Nov. Only golf related kidnapping I can think of is Robert Allenby :-P. And yeah totally ironic.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

This is big news in golf, being the host of a PGA tour event since the 60's, Doral is iconic, but once Trump decided to get into politics his relationship with the PGA was over, albeit a slow a divorce, they just can't have an event with an owner who everyone knows politically, its bad PR for the Tour, so Doral was over from that moment.

It's a good dig by the PGA to move to Mexico though, probably something they've been wanting for a while now.

• Upvote 1

Tim Finchem wants to insist that this move is about sponsorship, not politics, but it turns out that Fortune 500 companies think it's bad business to associate themselves with hatemongers. Good riddance; I didn't like the redesign, anyway.

It will be interesting to see if the tournament catches on in Mexico City.

• Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

8 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Tim Finchem wants to insist that this move is about sponsorship, not politics, but it turns out that Fortune 500 companies think it's bad business to associate themselves with hatemongers. Good riddance; I didn't like the redesign, anyway.

Yeah, send the tournament to gang controlled Mexico City, one of the most dangerous places to visit for Americans and Europeans.  If they were going to hold it outside the US, it should have been someplace in Europe, Mexico City is a horrible choice.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

I actually liked Doral.

It was my favorite course to play on "Tiger Woods Golf".  Was then nice to watch the pros playing those same holes.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

Yeah, send the tournament to gang controlled Mexico City, one of the most dangerous places to visit for Americans and Europeans.  If they were going to hold it outside the US, it should have been someplace in Europe, Mexico City is a horrible choice.  

We visited Mexico City last year. We were there for 5 days. It's not a bad place to visit as long as you stay behind locked doors, and don't drink the water. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

10 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

"The Tour signed an agreement with the resort in 2013 to keep the tournament at Doral through 2023, but that contract included a provision allowing the Tour to move elsewhere if they were unable to find a title sponsor. Cadillac did not renew its sponsorship when it ended this year."

The only Corporation that benefits from sponsoring a "trump" even is Trump.
How does any company benefit when Trump starts running his mouth under their banner?
It would be one thing if the PGA did not need sponsorship's for the purse but that is not how it works.

I like how in yesterdays stump speech, Trump said when he is president he is going to "end this sort of thing"

I am not sure as president how he will force companies such as the PGA to remain in the united states? Would he also make the Toronto Blue Jays play in Buffalo NY?

Edited by Elmer
  • Upvote 2

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

7 minutes ago, Elmer said:

"The Tour signed an agreement with the resort in 2013 to keep the tournament at Doral through 2023, but that contract included a provision allowing the Tour to move elsewhere if they were unable to find a title sponsor. Cadillac did not renew its sponsorship when it ended this year."

The only Corporation that benefits from sponsoring a "trump" even is Trump.
How does any company benefit when Trump starts running his mouth under their banner?
It would be one thing if the PGA did not need sponsorship's for the purse but that is not how it works.

I like how in yesterdays stump speech, Trump said when he is president he is going to "end this sort of thing"

I am not sure as president how he will force companies such as the PGA to remain in the united states? Would he also make the Toronto Blue Jays play in Buffalo NY?

It's kind of surprising he didn't want to sponsor the tournament himself.

• Upvote 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

18 minutes ago, jamo said:

It's kind of surprising he didn't want to sponsor the tournament himself.

Psst...It's because he really doesn't have that kind of money.

26 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I can't wait until January 20, 2017, when President Trump's first act after taking the oath of office will be drafting an executive order banning professional golf in the United States from taking place anywhere except on Trump National courses. Watch out, Augusta National: the Trump government is going to make an eminent domain claim on your property.

• Upvote 3

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

10 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

I don't see that this is any different from the R&A choosing not to associate with Muirfield.  Muirfield's policies were bound to bring negative publicity to any advertisers and sponsors, and the R&A chose to avoid that.  In the same way, Mr. Trump's public stances on many issues were bound to bring negative publicity on any new sponsor of a tournament at Doral, so the potential sponsors stayed away.  Pros aren't going to come and play if they have to bankroll the whole thing themselves, they can play for each others' money when they're at home at Isleworth.

• Upvote 3

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!