Sign in to follow this  
colin007

2016 British Open at Royal Troon Discussion Thread

Note: This thread is 1556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

419 posts / 27581 viewsLast Reply

2 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Did we just see the knockout punch?

At any other course I'd say yes, but as @Hardspoon pointed out, those bunkers can be really penal.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess NBC must be lagging in L.A. because I just saw Stenson's 51-foot birdie from the fringe.  Must be the time difference. 

1 minute ago, Elrey Desol said:

in related Open Championship news, the player in 3rd place pumped one OB.

nice coverage NBC. shm.

I think NBC is doing fine. I can't blame them for not showing a guy 13 shots back that isn't really one of the more popular guys in golf. This is a 2-way battle. That's all most of us really care about.

1 minute ago, Elrey Desol said:

in related Open Championship news, the player in 3rd place pumped one OB.

nice coverage NBC. shm.

Third place is in a different tournament right now.

I bet Phil eagles 16 now.

Just now, ChrisP said:

I think NBC is doing fine. I can't blame them for not showing a guy 13 shots back that isn't really one of the more popular guys in golf. This is a 2-way battle. That's all most of us really care about.

J.B. Holmes isn't popular?

(not being difficult, I just think of him as a popular player)

Just now, ChrisP said:

i know. i know.

for purely selfish reasons, i.e. gambling, i'd like to see what other guys are doing on the course ahead of the final pairing.

I'm surprised Phil didn't hit 3W off the tee, he needs to be more aggressive as Stenson doesn't seem to be cracking under the pressure.  

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

J.B. Holmes isn't popular?

(not being difficult, I just think of him as a popular player)

People know who he is, but I wouldn't call him a guy that people turn on the tv to want to see.

1 minute ago, ChrisP said:

People know who he is, but I wouldn't call him a guy that people turn on the tv to want to see.

Reasonable definition and good point. 

The championship scoring record is 267, set by Greg Norman in 1993; Stenson is on track to break that by a stroke if he pars out. If Stenson can get to 19-under, he would tie the Open scoring record to par (Tiger Woods, 2000) as well as the scoring record at any major (265, David Toms, 2001 PGA).

Pretty good shot for Henrik out of the stuff.  Phil for eagle?  I remember the 2010 Masters with his two eagles in a round.  I seem to recall they were consecutive that year. 

OH COME ON.  I've never been more disappointed to see a birdie.

I hate when announcers say that.  "I don't think he has what it takes to win a major" or didn't think anyway... C'mon guys like Todd Hamilton, Ben Curtis, Shaun Micheel and Rich Beem have major wins on their resume...

Note: This thread is 1556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!