IGNORED

2016 British Open at Royal Troon Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 2841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pretty nice victory speech.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Wow two players finished 20-under in a major in the last 4 majors. Pretty amazing stuff. This one was a little bit more impressive, though, given this course was a lot more trickier than Whistling Straits.

A Lot more trickier than Whistling Straits? That is debatable.

What a finish. Good for Henrik. Another person crossed off the "best w/o a major" list. Looking at you Sergio and Lee for Baltustrol.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

My sleeper pick for the week, J.B. Holmes, won the tournament: I don't know what tournament those two were playing in.

• Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

11 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

A Lot more trickier than Whistling Straits? That is debatable.

-6 was good for third place at Troon. -6 would have gotten you a 24th place finish last year at Whistling. That's what I mean by saying this -20 was more impressive in my mind. Conditions were more difficult to do it in.

Cold-blooded is the only way I can describe those last few holes for Stenson. That putt on 15 was unreal.

-Rich

The big three: -2

Two old guys combined age 86: -37

• Upvote 3

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

12 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

The big three: -2

Two old guys combined age 86: -37

Well the British is the one major the old boys can win. Norman nearly won it at 53. Watson at 59. And four of the last six British Opens have been won by guys in their 40s. One of the two that wasn't 40 was 39.

What a great championship....the best of the year by far

Kudos to Henrik.....what a fantastic display and what more can you say

Kudos also to Phil.....46 and still kickin ass.....certainly disappointing for him, but what a great effort...

Kudos to the R&A for hosting a WONDERFUL tournament and always understanding that things are best when the players are the story.....However impossible it was to make the USGA to look even worse than it did immediately after the US Women's Open, the R&A's effort did just that....god I hope someone from the USGA was paying attention this week.

Edited by BallStriker
  • Upvote 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Some players playing the course after championship is done.

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Don't worry PM, the jug still loves you, your name is etched on it.

image.jpeg

Steve

42 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Some players playing the course after championship is done.

I did not realize that was allowed.  Really speaks to how well received the course was if players will do that.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

-6 was good for third place at Troon. -6 would have gotten you a 24th place finish last year at Whistling. That's what I mean by saying this -20 was more impressive in my mind. Conditions were more difficult to do it in.

Yet the cut line was +3 in more favorable conditions at Whistling. Nasty weather and only a 1 shot difference in the cut line at Troon.

What way to win his first major! Obliterating the field and being a comfortable three shots away from Phil. It was funny to see the final group, their final round scores were way ahead of everyone else. Not often you see that, especially in a major.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I wonder what Henrik and Phil's best ball was for today... Anyone got a line on that? I was playing the Club Championship today (and being official guy who writes the scores on the big scoresheets)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

8 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I wonder what Henrik and Phil's best ball was for today... Anyone got a line on that? I was playing the Club Championship today (and being official guy who writes the scores on the big scoresheets)

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

41 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

Yet the cut line was +3 in more favorable conditions at Whistling. Nasty weather and only a 1 shot difference in the cut line at Troon.

Have to factor in conditions. That's part of the game. That's part of links golf. If it were calm all 4 days, then scores prolly would have looked like Whistling last year when players tore it apart. But conditions were tough. And the fact Stenson was 14 shots better than the third place guy was amazing.

Note: This thread is 2841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!