IGNORED

I am playing in the US Mid-AM qualifier, but I need your help.

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 2744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know the road you're going down, here. Projecting your current rounds onto your tournament round (that hasn't even happened yet) does you no good.  From what i gathered from your post, you're playing too much. Take a week off and get back to it fresh the week before. 

Winn Dri-Tacs are supposed to be great for your wet mitts. Hopefully your caddie will keep the club dry for you. Remember other have experienced the same situations.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

40 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I know the road you're going down, here. Projecting your current rounds onto your tournament round (that hasn't even happened yet) does you no good.  From what i gathered from your post, you're playing too much. Take a week off and get back to it fresh the week before. 

Yeah, pretty much. I am worried I will not shoot within 10 strokes of the course handicap and get a nasty letter from the USGA asking me not to play in a big tournament again. Though, last year there were guys who didn't break 90.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

37 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Yeah, pretty much. I am worried I will not shoot within 10 strokes of the course handicap and get a nasty letter from the USGA asking me not to play in a big tournament again. Though, last year there were guys who didn't break 90.

This is just another round of golf.  You need to go in thinking it's you versus yourself.  Don't let a limit or a certain score get into your head.  The most important shot is the one you're about to hit.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I don't really have much to offer as I've never played big time golf.

I've played competitively in other sports and games, though, and the only thing I can say is to just try and stay in the right frame of mind and maintain your focus. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

58 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I wouldn't worry about that at all. I shot 80+ USGA qaulis and never got that letter. I shot 82 in US open qualifying back in the spring. Ive seen dudes shoot 90+ in those things and still come back next year.  USGA will  take your money as long as you got the handicap. 

• Upvote 2

I just got my letter and all the info for the tournament! I am in the second group off at 8:10am, which is great considering I usually play at 8am. I am in a 3some so we have 4 hours and 39 mins to complete the round to be on pace. 

Question for you guys, this course is very hilly. My caddie and I can use a cart for the practice round, should I?

USGA Mid-Am Entrants,

My name is Sean Mulvenon and I am the Official in Charge for the USGA Mid-Am qualifier at Blessings Golf Club on August 8th. A total of 50 players will be attempting to qualify and due to the strength of the field our site has been awarded three qualifying spots (and two alternate spots). In the event of ties, both for qualifying spots and alternate positions, a playoff will be conducted using Holes 1, 17, and 18 until all spots are assigned. Invitations for alternates to the Championship are based on strength of field and other factors and in the recent past our fields have had alternates selected to play in the Championship.

Mr. Richard Cromwell is the General Manager and Director of Golf at Blessings Golf Club and he has graciously allowed for practices rounds to be completed on Aug 2, 3, and after 2 p.m. on August 7th. Additionally, a list of players has been provided to Blessings and if you contact the club they will make all efforts to allow you to play your practice round on other days if space is available. A nominal fee may be charged for use of a cart, but the practice round has been provided free of charge by Mr. Tyson the owner of Blessings Golf Club. Mr. Cromwell has advised me that Blessings will make a selection of breakfast and lunch items available the day of the qualifier for a small charge.

Caddies will be allowed to use golf carts for the qualifier. It is encouraged that you call and confirm the use of cart for your caddie in advance of August 8th. Again, a nominal fee may be charged for use of a cart by caddies. I would like to remind players that you may not ride in these carts and you are encouraged to avoid sitting in these carts even when the cart is at rest/parked. If the cart does move it may be constituted as a violation (please don’t place us in a position that would require a decision on this issue). Additionally, no spectators are allowed in the carts.

Finally, attached are a series of documents that you are encouraged to review, including:

1)      Tee Times and Pairings

2)      USGA Hard Card of qualifying rules

3)      Notice to Competitors (local rules for qualifier). Note: please read this closely as there are several additional elements to assist the player and pace of play.

4)      Pace of Play Chart and Pace of Play Policies

5)      Additional Notice to Competitors

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

10 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Question for you guys, this course is very hilly. My caddie and I can use a cart for the practice round, should I?

If you're playing your practice round on August 7th, then I would say yes ... no need to make yourself tired for your tournament.

Also, kudos to the club owner for providing you guys with free practice rounds!:beer:

I couldn't get past 4:39 for a 3-some to remain on pace...

:-O  ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I say walk.  Hilly or not, it'll be good to know ahead of time how tired you may get as you play and you can plan accordingly.  You don't want any surprises come the day of, and as we've mentioned before stay within your routine.  Your caddy can use the cart, but you should walk.  

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I would maybe think about walking for the practice round, just to be able to see more of the course at ground level.  But I guess it depends how much of the course is accessible by cart.

have you got yardage and green charts that you can make notes on and check yardages with?

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

I would absolutely take a cart. You can take more time that way without slowing up the pace of play for others. You can have the caddy take the cart and gather extra balls you hit while you putt out. You can take the cart into areas you might get into (if your miss is right, for example, it's easy to take the cart up the right side and see how punitive that miss would be). If you hit a second ball, you can keep up the pace because the cart will move you along. Bottom line, I think it would give the ability to do more during your practice round.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

56 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

If you're playing your practice round on August 7th, then I would say yes ... no need to make yourself tired for your tournament.

Also, kudos to the club owner for providing you guys with free practice rounds!:beer:

This was my thought. Walking 10 miles in a matter of 16 hours would probably wear on me. Also, the owner is Don Tyson - The chicken guy. 

54 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I couldn't get past 4:39 for a 3-some to remain on pace...

:-O  ;-)

I imagine people are slow. I read in the rules you have :40 seconds to hit you shot. 

46 minutes ago, ZappyAd said:

have you got yardage and green charts that you can make notes on and check yardages with?

I have a yardage book and a scorecard. Now that I know the tees, I plan on mapping out my round a bit beforehand and Ill post it here so we can all talk. 

20 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I would absolutely take a cart. You can take more time that way without slowing up the pace of play for others. You can have the caddy take the cart and gather extra balls you hit while you putt out. You can take the cart into areas you might get into (if your miss is right, for example, it's easy to take the cart up the right side and see how punitive that miss would be). If you hit a second ball, you can keep up the pace because the cart will move you along. Bottom line, I think it would give the ability to do more during your practice round.

This was my thoughts too. More time to whip around and see different yardages with my laser and whatnot without holding up groups behind. Plus, we cant play the practice round til after 2pm, so I wont have a ton of time considering some guys wont tee off til after 3 and will expect to finish before dark.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you haven't walked the course at least once, I think you'll see more potentially valuable detail on foot than from the cart path. If you've played it before on foot then not a concern, unless the setup is radically different.

Kevin

I'm going to write down what club I think I should hit on each tee shot and what that should leave me into the center of each green. 

That way I can make small tweaks the day before based on them moving tee boxes or realtime conditions. 

For instance, on #1 tee box 3 is where the brown tees usually are. 241 is the max I want to hit the ball because there is a very steep slope to the native area. So 5 iron leaves me 180ish out to an extreme downhill green which will probably play around 165ish with the slope. 9 iron and a two putt and I'm done. 

image.jpg

Kyle Paulhus

6 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

9 iron and a one putt and I'm done. 

Fixed that one for you. :-D

That sounds like a good idea. I like the fancy yardage book they gave you, it far surpasses any of the ones I've ever gotten from courses.

18 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

I just got my letter and all the info for the tournament! I am in the second group off at 8:10am, which is great considering I usually play at 8am. I am in a 3some so we have 4 hours and 39 mins to complete the round to be on pace. 

I would say no if will be the only time you see the course before you play the qualifier. You'll get a much better feel of the course by walking it than you would have in a cart. Also, you'll be aware of any physical strain walking the course takes and expect it. Carb load the night before and see how you fare. 

12 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

I'm going to write down what club I think I should hit on each tee shot and what that should leave me into the center of each green. 

That way I can make small tweaks the day before based on them moving tee boxes or realtime conditions. 

For instance, on #1 tee box 3 is where the brown tees usually are. 241 is the max I want to hit the ball because there is a very steep slope to the native area. So 5 iron leaves me 180ish out to an extreme downhill green which will probably play around 165ish with the slope. 9 iron and a two putt and I'm done. 

image.jpg

I never got shit like that...lol 

And i have that same rug in my living room. $40 bucks at ross baby! 

My practice round will be 3pm the day before. Should get a good idea of where the pins will be the next morning. 

Planning on lots of fluids and a big pasta dinner that day so I am hydrated and have plenty of energy to walk.

Kyle Paulhus

Note: This thread is 2744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!