Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kpaulhus

I am playing in the US Mid-AM qualifier, but I need your help.

Note: This thread is 1134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

234 posts / 23661 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hardspoon said:

image.png.7b9b9deac8d12a5477e16213843fdbc8.png

James McNeal should definitely be checking his mail regularly...

I wouldn't doubt it. Like wise for Mr. Bowers, Mr. Guinn. and Mr. Paulhus. 

Now might also be a good time to point out that the 7 players who WD'd  at this qualifying site very likely withdrew prior to the day of the event. A check of the other Mid-Am qualifying sites shows that those who started the round, but failed to finish, would have been identified as NC (no card). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

13 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

I wouldn't doubt it. Like wise for Mr. Bowers, Mr. Guinn. and Mr. Paulhus. 

Now might also be a good time to point out that the 7 players who WD'd  at this qualifying site very likely withdrew prior to the day of the event. A check of the other Mid-Am qualifying sites shows that those who started the round, but failed to finish, would have been identified as NC (no card). 

Dude seriously.  Who cares, I don't know Kyle other than on this site, but what do you care if his handicap is accurate or not.  Others have indicated his playing ability, so I'll go with their assessment.  I've played lots of tournament golf over the years and have played well and other times not so much.  But at the end of the day it's about trying to play to the best that you can and see what you can do.  His play, my play or anyone else's play has no bearing on you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@kpaulhus, Thanks for taking us through your entire experience.  hope it gives other people the drive to do the same. I look forward to joining you on the same journey next year. 

Keep up the good work man. :beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Pendragon said:

I wouldn't doubt it. Like wise for Mr. Bowers, Mr. Guinn. and Mr. Paulhus. 

Now might also be a good time to point out that the 7 players who WD'd  at this qualifying site very likely withdrew prior to the day of the event. A check of the other Mid-Am qualifying sites shows that those who started the round, but failed to finish, would have been identified as NC (no card). 

guinn.jpg

Ken here has been a low cap for at least a year and shot worse than Kyle. How's that figure Sherlock (@Pendragon)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/11/2016 at 8:48 PM, David in FL said:

You'll note that both the tournament thread and the handicap index threads are mine, so I understand both.  I also play enough tournament golf that I get it, because I post my fair share of mid-to-upper 80 rounds myself

This is a huge thing that I think is being overlooked. 

On 8/11/2016 at 8:53 PM, kpaulhus said:

Outside of an annual member guest and 3 club championships (usually in the 2nd flight) this was my first real USGA event. I expect to play much better tournament golf going forward. 

The first "real" tournament I ever played in I carded 108-116 at a time when I held a 22 handicap (on a par 70 with CR of 71.5 and slope of 124). I should have, if I played to my handicap, shot no worse than mid 90's or so. The truth of the matter is that tournaments are hard. Looking at the score that @kpaulhus posted I can only say that it took some real guts to come back from a 49 on the front to shoot 39 on the back in a tournament. Most people (myself included far too often) will just give up once they have a bad stretch of holes and never really recover in any form.

Bottom line is, you will never be able to play to your handicap in the first tournaments you play in. Tournaments have increased pressure, more difficult setups, and the added mental weight of knowing you will be judged against others. It's not fair to expect someone to come out and shoot a top 10 round (handicap is generated with the top 10 rounds in the last 20) when they haven't had experience in that situation before, in the same way that it's not fair to expect a new driver to immediately jump on the highway for a big road trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/12/2016 at 5:32 PM, Valleygolfer said:

guinn.jpg

Ken here has been a low cap for at least a year and shot worse than Kyle. How's that figure Sherlock (@Pendragon)?

I think you're missing the point. The fact that Kyle shot 88...or that Ken shot 92...isn't the issue. Heck, anyone can have a bad round.

The bigger point I was trying to make (evidently not all that well) was that Kyle's newly achieved 2.7 index probably wasn't all that valid, and his recent posting history is making my point for me. Dropping one's index from 8.6 to 2.7 in just 2 months is pretty remarkable...hell, it's virtually impossible...and Kyle's scores since 7/1 more resemble his postings from earlier in the year when his handicap was in the 7 to 9 range. As of the just-released 8/15 revision, Kyle's index has more than doubled from the 2.7 he had on 7/1, up to 5.7. In his last 20 scores, his differentials have been 7.6 or higher 14 times, and he's been able to play to his index twice. At his home course, his current index gives him a course handicap of 7, regardless of which tees he plays. He's now pretty much where he was a few months ago when he was shooting a bunch of 85's.

In the grand scheme of things, most of us can likely agree that this whole issue is rather inconsequential. I must admit, though, that it gives me a bit of enjoyment to see folks like yourself express such self-righteous indignation over my daring to question what's happened here. But the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. Call me Sherlock all you like, but the facts speak for themselves. All you need to do is look at the scores Kyle's posted since July 1. All I'm suggesting is that those scores give us a pretty good picture of where Kyle's game is right now, only a week after he teed it up in the Mid-Am qualifier. Gee, has it only been a week?

It's past my bedtime. I usually don't stay up this late, but I wanted to update everyone on Kyle's new, and likely more realistic, index. I had to do it tonight since my wife and I are leaving in the morning for two weeks in Alaska, which will mean no golf for me for all that time. Bummer! It'll be a great trip, though. See ya, Sherlock. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, Pendragon said:

I think you're missing the point. The fact that Kyle shot 88...or that Ken shot 92...isn't the issue. Heck, anyone can have a bad round.

The bigger point I was trying to make (evidently not all that well) was that Kyle's newly achieved 2.7 index probably wasn't all that valid, and his recent posting history is making my point for me. Dropping one's index from 8.6 to 2.7 in just 2 months is pretty remarkable...hell, it's virtually impossible...and Kyle's scores since 7/1 more resemble his postings from earlier in the year when his handicap was in the 7 to 9 range. As of the just-released 8/15 revision, Kyle's index has more than doubled from the 2.7 he had on 7/1, up to 5.7. In his last 20 scores, his differentials have been 7.6 or higher 14 times, and he's been able to play to his index twice. At his home course, his current index gives him a course handicap of 7, regardless of which tees he plays. He's now pretty much where he was a few months ago when he was shooting a bunch of 85's.

In the grand scheme of things, most of us can likely agree that this whole issue is rather inconsequential. I must admit, though, that it gives me a bit of enjoyment to see folks like yourself express such self-righteous indignation over my daring to question what's happened here. But the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. Call me Sherlock all you like, but the facts speak for themselves. All you need to do is look at the scores Kyle's posted since July 1. All I'm suggesting is that those scores give us a pretty good picture of where Kyle's game is right now, only a week after he teed it up in the Mid-Am qualifier. Gee, has it only been a week?

It's past my bedtime. I usually don't stay up this late, but I wanted to update everyone on Kyle's new, and likely more realistic, index. I had to do it tonight since my wife and I are leaving in the morning for two weeks in Alaska, which will mean no golf for me for all that time. Bummer! It'll be a great trip, though. See ya, Sherlock. 

 

'Self-righteous indignation' came after you 'appeared' to question Kyle's honesty. We could all do the same to each other. I don't know you personally. Your posted HC could be BS too. You may cheat when you play. I don't know. But no one calls you out.

And calling other posters names kind of shows the true side of your personality. No one supports your self righteousness either. So please cease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Pendragon said:

I think you're missing the point. The fact that Kyle shot 88...or that Ken shot 92...isn't the issue. Heck, anyone can have a bad round.

The bigger point I was trying to make (evidently not all that well) was that Kyle's newly achieved 2.7 index probably wasn't all that valid, and his recent posting history is making my point for me. Dropping one's index from 8.6 to 2.7 in just 2 months is pretty remarkable...hell, it's virtually impossible...and Kyle's scores since 7/1 more resemble his postings from earlier in the year when his handicap was in the 7 to 9 range. As of the just-released 8/15 revision, Kyle's index has more than doubled from the 2.7 he had on 7/1, up to 5.7. In his last 20 scores, his differentials have been 7.6 or higher 14 times, and he's been able to play to his index twice. At his home course, his current index gives him a course handicap of 7, regardless of which tees he plays. He's now pretty much where he was a few months ago when he was shooting a bunch of 85's.

In the grand scheme of things, most of us can likely agree that this whole issue is rather inconsequential. I must admit, though, that it gives me a bit of enjoyment to see folks like yourself express such self-righteous indignation over my daring to question what's happened here. But the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. Call me Sherlock all you like, but the facts speak for themselves. All you need to do is look at the scores Kyle's posted since July 1. All I'm suggesting is that those scores give us a pretty good picture of where Kyle's game is right now, only a week after he teed it up in the Mid-Am qualifier. Gee, has it only been a week?

It's past my bedtime. I usually don't stay up this late, but I wanted to update everyone on Kyle's new, and likely more realistic, index. I had to do it tonight since my wife and I are leaving in the morning for two weeks in Alaska, which will mean no golf for me for all that time. Bummer! It'll be a great trip, though. See ya, Sherlock. 

 

Really? I am changing your name to "Pot" instead of Sherlock. Kyle has been pretty transparent about this whole deal and knew he dropped in HC a lot to be given the chance to play in this. It is not clear why you enjoy the "wet blanket" so much. If he is lying the scores will show in tournament play repeatedly. I don't know Kyle from Adam but I was interested in this process and chose to not be cynical and negative in his prep. HC process has some very weak points at times and calculations don't lie. I really did not look into how he got to the current cap, really didn't care either but I am sure that the 67 threw a wrench in the calculation.

Just an fyi, no one really likes anyone who polices everyone else, warranted or not (unless it is your job). Enjoy your vakay, I hear Alaska is amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Valleygolfer said:

Really? I am changing your name to "Pot" instead of Sherlock. Kyle has been pretty transparent about this whole deal and knew he dropped in HC a lot to be given the chance to play in this. It is not clear why you enjoy the "wet blanket" so much. If he is lying the scores will show in tournament play repeatedly. I don't know Kyle from Adam but I was interested in this process and chose to not be cynical and negative in his prep. HC process has some very weak points at times and calculations don't lie. I really did not look into how he got to the current cap, really didn't care either but I am sure that the 67 threw a wrench in the calculation.

Just an fyi, no one really likes anyone who polices everyone else, warranted or not (unless it is your job). Enjoy your vakay, I hear Alaska is amazing.

Well, a 67, a 75, and an 73 within the same revision really is what caused the drop.

I hate to say that this weekend I played some terrible golf and probably make @Pendragon look like he is right. Sucks. Just how one can make a hole in one (or albatross in my case), its almost impossible, but it happens. 

I am capable of shooting some very good scores. My club championship is this coming weekend. Hoping I can live up to the hype and not shoot 85 all 3 rounds. 

I also play a lot of golf. More than anyone I know. My handicap can fluctuate a lot in one revision as I don't practice all week and play 1 round of golf. I played 6 rounds from Thursday to Sunday this week. 

scores.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Boy I'm glad I didn't let you guys know last year my handicap went down from a 7.1 to a .3 and then back up to a 5.4 and now trending down to a 1.9. I would have been ridiculed. Good luck in your club championship, doesn't matter your handicap just play your game. You don't have anything to prove to anyone!

I caddied in a group this year in which a very successful player who actually played on TV in the PGA professionals championship this year, and who has played PGA events multiple times 10+ shoot an 89 and get a letter in US Open Qualifying. So it can happen to anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, MasonAsher2014 said:

Boy I'm glad I didn't let you guys know last year my handicap went down from a 7.1 to a .3 and then back up to a 5.4 and now trending down to a 1.9. I would have been ridiculed. Good luck in your club championship, doesn't matter your handicap just play your game. You don't have anything to prove to anyone!

You would've wouldn't have been ridiculed by any member whose criticism was worth listening to. The vast majority of people here would've been happy to see that much progress for you and followed along to see where it led. There's only a select few who've got piss in their cornflakes when they see the surprising accomplishments of others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To all those of you doubters out there.  The above is the scores for one of the pro's playing in the Olympics this year.  He came 59th out of 60, but I picked his to show the variations in scores for four days.  Let me assume that he is a + handicapper.

He certainly practices at least 4 to 5 days a week.  Golf is his life, unlike most of us here on TST who work for a living and play golf for the love of the sport.  If he can shoot a 68 on one day and 80 on another day at the same course, what chance do us amateurs who can't practice anything remotely close, have of consistently shooting our handicap.  The par of the course is 71 for reference.

Capture.JPG

Edited by pganapathy
attaching file that I couldn't paste

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

You would've have been ridiculed by any member whose criticism was worth listening to. The vast majority of people here would've been happy to see that much progress for you and followed along to see where it led. There's only a select few who've got piss in their cornflakes when they see the surprising accomplishments of others. 

Wouldn't have, not would've have. Kind of gave the opposite message as what I meant there because I didn't check my spelling on my phone. Sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Wouldn't have, not would've have. Kind of gave the opposite message as what I meant there because I didn't check my spelling on my phone. Sorry!

It was clear what you meant. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, Pendragon said:

The bigger point I was trying to make (evidently not all that well) was that Kyle's newly achieved 2.7 index probably wasn't all that valid, and his recent posting history is making my point for me.

Look, I think this sentence (and the implication behind it) is where you get into trouble. What do you mean, when you say his index wasn't "valid?" To my mind, the only thing that makes a handicap invalid is if someone is either cheating, or posting scores that they didn't actually shoot. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that's not what you meant to imply. 

Rather, if you meant to say that Kyle's index was artificially low because of a hot stretch of golf, that's a more reasonable takeaway. But even if that's the case.... so what? I think anyone who has maintained a handicap for a reasonable length of time has had periods like that. You get hot for a few rounds, knock a few strokes off your index and eventually a rough patch hits where you have difficulty shooting your index for a period of time. That's golf. It doesn't mean your new lower index was any less valid the old higher one that preceded it. You were just posting the scores and letting the chips fall where they may.

To Kyle, we were all rooting for you to do well. And I give you a lot of credit for coming back here, not just to post the recap, but to address some naysayers along the way. It takes guts to do that. 

A few months ago, I posted a lead-in within the TST Member Tournament Play thread. I mentioned that my Club Championship was coming up in June and that I would post the results once they were completed. Anyone who was paying close attention might have noticed that I didn't do that. Long story short, the round didn't go anywhere near the way I was hoping it would. And the simple fact was, I didn't want to even think about the event, let alone post a lengthy recap. Maybe someday I will. But kudos to you for coming back and taking it head on. And good luck in your club championship!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Heck of a job battling back on the final 9 holes.  Tournament golf is a different animal and I applaud you for finishing your round with some solid golf.  Good luck in your Club Championship this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

LOL at the last 3-4 pages of this thread......jfc....I am ramping up to play in my state mid-am shortly and will certainly NOT be posting anything about it around here....people are just too damned uptight and serious.....not life and death

All that said, I did really enjoy this thread Kyle and appreciate you putting yourself "out there" to share your experience -- I can certainly appreciate the perspective of the first time playing in a bigger event -- sometimes you just need to take a leap and put yourself in those positions -- I remember the first time playing in my State AM tourney and I could barely breath standing over my first putt, just praying to lag it up from about 22 feet...LOL

 

Good stuff

 

Edited by BallStriker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BallStriker said:

LOL at the last 3-4 pages of this thread......jfc....I am ramping up to play in my state mid-am shortly and will certainly NOT be posting anything about it around here....people are just too damned uptight and serious.....not life and death

All that said, I did really enjoy this thread Kyle and appreciate you putting yourself "out there" to share your experience -- I can certainly appreciate the perspective of the first time playing in a bigger event -- sometimes you just need to take a leap and put yourself in those positions -- I remember the first time playing in my State AM tourney and I could barely breath standing over my first putt, just praying to lag it up from about 22 feet...LOL

 

Good stuff

 

Feel free to post.  I believe it has only been one with the negativity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...