IGNORED

Driver leaks right with inside-out swing

Note: This thread is 2538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have this problem and it's caused by spinning out the hips too soon, before the weight shift, getting stuck.

I don't know why it's only an issue with driver, with irons and woods I slide my hips just fine, but with driver I just unwind from the top too soon and push/slice a lot, it's strange.

For me the fix is tempo, think weight shift towards the target before dropping the arms and turning the hips, use the legs, the trail leg should feel the weight going back, and then let it go before the hips turn, keep the elbow at the shirt seam, tempo like a ballet.

• Upvote 1

I like that description @MrDC. 
As I am fighting an spin-out, I am trying to be passive with my lower body.
But I never understood how to do a weight shift and not turn the lower body.
I need to get to the range to try to "let the weight go forward before the hips turn".
Do you have any good drills for that?

43 minutes ago, barnum1 said:

I like that description @MrDC. 
As I am fighting an spin-out, I am trying to be passive with my lower body.
But I never understood how to do a weight shift and not turn the lower body.
I need to get to the range to try to "let the weight go forward before the hips turn".
Do you have any good drills for that?

Use a 8lb medicine ball or any weighted ball and use it like a golf club and take normal swings and throw the ball in your finish.  You'll feel if your twisting or not and how the weight moves in your swing.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hitting a fade with a driver is not a bad shot. A slice with a driver is a bad shot. So is a hook.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Not sure if this applies to you, for me if I have tension in the arms/wrists/hands it's hard for me to square up the club face at impact.  For me, getting rid of the tension helps.

Have you seen this thread?

Here's the ugly truth...

There's probably a number of things you still have to learn about your swing if you're having the slice problem. While you're learning, choke up an inch. As a shorter club will naturally swing more upright, this will reduce your swinging over the top (out to in). A shorter club will also be easier for you to control - you will keep it on the swing path longer and build more club speed.   

Edited by tshapiro

• 6 months later...
On 7/1/2016 at 9:45 AM, colin007 said:

Generally, as the club is coming down it's heading on an in to out path, hence why is it's easier to draw irons as they should still be on the way down when the contact the ball. OTOH if you're hitting up on the driver, as it ascends and "turns the corner" it starts heading left, so you either need to close the stance a little or learn to love the cut.

I thought you might enjoy these resources as possible approaches to the different feel w/ driver we were discussing at the range.

Spoiler

Driver swing feels / looks different:

Edited by natureboy
  • Upvote 1

Kevin

2 hours ago, natureboy said:

I thought you might enjoy these resources as possible approaches to the different feel w/ driver we were discussing at the range.

Hide contents

Driver swing feels / looks different:

:beer:

Thanks bro! Onwards and rightwards, lol

Colin P.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Well at least a baby fade. High draws in '17. :beer:

Spoiler

I just had another thought. How's your greenside sand game? I can get out okay, but I tend to be a bit steep / too deep and distance control suffers. I think I hit it too much like a regular irons with hands ahead / delayed release.

Phil Mickelson in his short game videos states once that there was some kind of correlation between driving and bunker play (haven't seen it and no idea if it's true). I wonder it it has something to do with the different feel / timing of the more sweep release / wider arc linking sand shots & driver vs the irons that we doesn't seem to be clicking.

Kevin

@barnum1, @colin007 & I were discussing the iron vs. driver issue at the range and one of the challenges for me has been that not only is setup different, but so is the whole swing...at least in some subtle ways that 'feel' very different.

As I look for better ways to conceptualize and feel the difference I've come across some online resources that I shared in posts with Colin. May or may not apply to your specific swing struggle, but possible food for thought. Here's a few more.

Spoiler

This one is super-long and technical with lots of 3-D motion charts (hard to follow), but points out some pro vs. amateur tendencies and possible sources of an iron-driver disconnect (if you want a deep look). The best part was the case study around 30 minutes in (where the vid below should start). The big point I took from it is that pros adjust their swing as the club gets longer and/or they tee it up and this helps them look similar at impact on video, while amateurs try to swing 'the same' and they end up looking very different at impact.

Kevin

having suffered from a bad push slice since i took golf up, I actually find gripping the crap out of it is what straightens me out, no idea why

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

On 1/18/2017 at 5:16 PM, colin007 said:

You gotta try the 'feel' in the Tour Striker video (2nd video of post #27). It seems crazy intuitively. Feels like you're throwing power away. But I swear with the ones that clicked my swing was a bit faster with less effort. Hit some nice high baby draws with decent carry for me. Maybe has something to do with maintaining width coming down with the relatively light (vs irons) and/or longer driver, or getting the hands lower earlier?

Give it at least half a bucket to click. Start out with relatively easy swings to get the feel / timing before you try cranking any. Make extra sure to get to the lead side before you do anything & not to raise your chest up (as always).

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Thanks for the input!

I especially think the difference between Driver and Iron swings was enlightening. I've always heard that they should be the same, but not really agreed.

About the Tour Striker video (2nd video of post #27), I'll try that out when spring comes to where I live...

4 hours ago, barnum1 said:

I've always heard that they should be the same, but not really agreed.

I'm with you on this, or at least I have yet to find more similarities than differences.

Jon

On 1/22/2017 at 6:39 AM, barnum1 said:

Thanks for the input!

I especially think the difference between Driver and Iron swings was enlightening. I've always heard that they should be the same, but not really agreed.

About the Tour Striker video (2nd video of post #27), I'll try that out when spring comes to where I live...

Here's some more you and @colin007 might find of interest. @RandallT, there might be some mental pictures / feels of potential interest to experiment with or run by your instructor if you are still battling steepness.

Spoiler

For perspective, Michael Jacobs was one of the popularizers of the downswing feel of throwing behind you that Martin Chuck was using in his video lesson in one of my earlier posts. Jacobs based it on a study by Dr.Stephen Nesbit that better players had a wider hand path arc coming down that narrowed at impact while higher handicappers were the opposite.

Kevin

• 3 months later...

Finally back to golf again after the winter :-)

I still struggle with the driver swing, but I've find something that seems to work. I try to feel the hands starting to release at the top of the swing. I know this is not by the book, and for the iron swing I do the opposite (try to hold the release as late as possible).
But it is the only way for me to get the timing right, and maybe it's not a big difference in reality (but a big difference in feel). I will try to make a video to see what it really looks like.

Fascinating game...

Note: This thread is 2538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!