IGNORED

Is Walking Your Dog on Golf Courses Dangerous?

golfdu
Note: This thread is 1476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I've been wondering about bringing my dog along with me when I play golf as it's literally the perfect activity to do with a dog, walking the dog on a nice wide open field with fresh grass for multiple hours. My dog is a certified service dog (I'm mostly deaf and I had to get her certified so she'll be allowed in apartment buildings that don't allow pets, which is so many!). I'm guilty of taking her on very short walks like most dog owners do, and I'd like to make it up to her always being inside the house by taking her out to the golf course with me.

But I have some concerns, which is golf courses keeping their grass fresh with pesticides. Does almost every golf course use pesticides for their grass? And if so, will it be dangerous for the dog to walk on and make her sick?

Frankie

Best advice I could give, would be to a, check with the golf course, and b, be sure to pick up after her. Nobody wants to step in dog poop on a well manicured golf course. Probably 98% of golf courses use pesticides. Biggest danger would likely be from ingestion but its hard to say for sure how harmful they could be to your pet. There are also other concerns such as errant golf shots, mowers, and other wildlife that may be present on the golf course. Sounds like a great idea but there are an awful lot of factors to consider. Dogs rule! Cats drool

:)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, golfdu said:

Hey guys, I've been wondering about bringing my dog along with me when I play golf as it's literally the perfect activity to do with a dog, walking the dog on a nice wide open field with fresh grass for multiple hours. My dog is a certified service dog (I'm mostly deaf and I had to get her certified so she'll be allowed in apartment buildings that don't allow pets, which is so many!). I'm guilty of taking her on very short walks like most dog owners do, and I'd like to make it up to her always being inside the house by taking her out to the golf course with me.

But I have some concerns, which is golf courses keeping their grass fresh with pesticides. Does almost every golf course use pesticides for their grass? And if so, will it be dangerous for the dog to walk on and make her sick?

Most golf courses don't want dogs or what they leave behind.  The three I play most often have signs saying so.  The only dogs allowed on my home course are those that the goose chaser brings with him, and they are there for one purpose, and that's to "encourage" the geese to hang out somewhere else.

As far as hazards, it won't be any more hazardous to a dog than it is to the coyotes that live on or near most courses around here.  They seem to thrive there.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

No danger to the dog.  This would be a dream for me.  Saw a guy at the range at a club once, with his dog comfortably laying in his cart, waiting to head out for 18.  No courses I play allow it but I always have thought how great it would be to bring my pup out with me.  Alas...

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I wouldn't be driving a golf cart with my dog on it, that's way too dangerous. My idea is having her on a leash attached to the push-cart as we walk. She'll follow the push-cart and stay with the push-cart and sit as I take my shot. I'll make sure she stays away from the green as I putt. That's my opinion of the proper dog etiquette.

Frankie

There are quite a few courses in my area that are surrounded by homes. Quite a few times, in the later evenings, I have seen folks walking, and/or playing with their dogs on the fairways. Chasing balls, or frisbees. Kids riding their bikes on the cart path with their dogs running along side. 

As for pesticides, I don't think there is too much danger for a pet. IMO pesticides do more harm to the ground water supply that it soaks into more than anything else. 

One thing I would not let a pet do is drink out of water hazard, which in a lot cases is reclaimed water, which probably has pesticides in it. 

Personally I wouldn't take my dog with me while golfing. To many other critters out there running, or crawling around. That said, if I saw a golfer with their dog with them, it would be no big deal to me. Well trained pets are great companions. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Dog owners love their dogs so naturally assume everyone else loves their dog too which is far from reality. Spend time with your dog....but not at the course. 

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

1 hour ago, Topper said:

Dog owners love their dogs so naturally assume everyone else loves their dog too which is far from reality. Spend time with your dog....but not at the course. 

Not true at all. We realize some people don't know the joy of the love and companionship a dog brings to life. But that is different from the OP's dog. His dog is a service animal and is legally permitted everywhere the OP is regardless of signs stating otherwise. Or your feelings on the matter.

It depends on the course, depends on the dog. Only dog I've seen that goes along during a round is occasionally this guy will bring his small mixed breed that rides in the golf cart basket behind the seats. Cool dog, dosent make a peep. No one has a problem with it

3 hours ago, golfdu said:

I wouldn't be driving a golf cart with my dog on it, that's way too dangerous. My idea is having her on a leash attached to the push-cart as we walk. She'll follow the push-cart and stay with the push-cart and sit as I take my shot. I'll make sure she stays away from the green as I putt. That's my opinion of the proper dog etiquette.

I don't follow. Why is it more dangerous to have the dog in the cart? Seems safer,  and also less of of an interference to everyone else who might not be dog enthusiasts.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Even though you can take your service dog where you want, I would suggest finding a course that is dog friendly if you can.  I know of three in my area though one of them is private and $$$$ - Del Mar Country Club.  The others that I know of in San Diego area are Goat Hill, and Emerald Isle, both are executive courses.

No way I would walk my dog on the course. There are so many chemicals applied throughout the year, I just can't believe it would be safe.

7 minutes ago, RH31 said:

No way I would walk my dog on the course. There are so many chemicals applied throughout the year, I just can't believe it would be safe.

This. 

But if you're ok with that, I would say it depends on the dog. If its well trained and you clean up behind it, i cant imagine there being a problem at most places as long as there are not a lot of players out. 

One of my regular partners at my home club used to take his golden retriever with him almost every time he played.  The dog was extremely well trained, and many of us liked the dog even more than we liked his master.  So I'd have no problem with a properly trained dog walking along with you (assuming you clean up after him).

I DO have a significant issue with people who walk their dogs on the course without any regard to the actual golfers.  Those people are putting themselves in danger of being struck by an errant golf ball.  Even though they're technically trespassing, I'm sure there would be a significant lawsuit if someone was injured.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I think another issue is the dog suffering from heat.  Pet dogs don't usually go for 4-5 hour walks in the hot sun.  I'd choose an executive, or par 3 or just play 9, or have a riding cart for just you and the dog.

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

One of my regular partners at my home club used to take his golden retriever with him almost every time he played.  The dog was extremely well trained, and many of us liked the dog even more than we liked his master.  So I'd have no problem with a properly trained dog walking along with you (assuming you clean up after him).

I DO have a significant issue with people who walk their dogs on the course without any regard to the actual golfers.  Those people are putting themselves in danger of being struck by an errant golf ball.  Even though they're technically trespassing, I'm sure there would be a significant lawsuit if someone was injured.  

Did you ever ask the dog to fill out your foursome? :-P

My 13 year old beagle would need to ride in a cart. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

Did you ever ask the dog to fill out your foursome? :-P

My 13 year old beagle would need to ride in a cart. 

The dog's handicap was too high, we have strict rules about who gets to play with us.

And sadly, as Riley got older, he too needed to ride in the cart, but he still seemed to love coming along for golf.  He's no longer with us, and the rabbits and field mice and other critters can relax a bit.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

One course I play somewhat regularly the owner's dog rides around with the cart girls. It's cute as hell I'm not gonna lie. His name is Blue and he just rides shotgun with her. He looks just like Lassie and he'll sit there all good while she's serving the golfers. Never seen a dog on the course before there.

Note: This thread is 1476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!