IGNORED

Dress Codes

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A collard shirt is a medium to dark green garment traditionally worn on New Years Day to promote wealth in the coming year.  There is confusion in some quarters as a collard shirt needn't be collared and a collared shirt needn't be collard.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tend to avoid the courses that allow golfers to wear "Wife Beater" shirts.   (or go shirtless)   That's all I have to say about that!  LOL....these are no doubt lousy courses anyway so it is what it is.

The white socks thing, I believe the original poster was off the target with regard to dress codes.   White socks clash with black slacks/and or shoes.   I generally don't wear socks.   I wear what I call "Crew Top" footies.  They are footies that go ankle high.    I wear both black and white shoes and wear the proper sock depending on the shoe choice.   No course can enforce wearing white socks with black shoes...LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

My friend's country club reportedly had someone complain about my cargo shorts. Cargo shorts don't look great, but they are awesome for holding a few golf balls and tees. I have some more upscale golf shorts, so I wear those a lot, but still don the cargos when playing a public course with low standards. 

And to the Canadien who said that grown men look horrible in shorts, you should probably hit up your local treadmill or elliptical. I sure as heck ain't wearing long pants when it's 95+ and humid. 

I should note that the courses I checked out in Cancun all had a "no short sleeve shirts" rule. You had to wear long sleeve shirts. I've seen Mexican golfers don these shirts before, but I haven't seen very many folks in the states wearing them.

I love the short sleeve golf shirts with wicking material. Would never wear a t-shirt because the drywick or techwick shirts are just so much more comfortable in any kind of conditions.

9 hours ago, Sidehatch said:

And to the Canadien who said that grown men look horrible in shorts, you should probably hit up your local treadmill or elliptical. I sure as heck ain't wearing long pants when it's 95+ and humid. 

I'm under no delusions about my sorry state of physical fitness, but that doesn't have anything to do with it.

Grown-ass men running around in their little shorts like a bunch of kids looks silly to me. It's just my opinion. Obviously you can do whatever you want. 

By the way,  I was on both a treadmill and an elliptical last night, wearing pants.

27 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I'm under no delusions about my sorry state of physical fitness, but that doesn't have anything to do with it.

Grown-ass men running around in their little shorts like a bunch of kids looks silly to me. It's just my opinion. Obviously you can do whatever you want. 

By the way,  I was on both a treadmill and an elliptical last night, wearing pants.

Not sure I wear little shorts like kids.  Maybe they wear shorter shorts in Canada, haven't played there in years.  Nothing wrong with being comfortable on the course though.

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

10 hours ago, Sidehatch said:

My friend's country club reportedly had someone complain about my cargo shorts. Cargo shorts don't look great, but they are awesome for holding a few golf balls and tees. I have some more upscale golf shorts, so I wear those a lot, but still don the cargos when playing a public course with low standards. 

I should note that the courses I checked out in Cancun all had a "no short sleeve shirts" rule. You had to wear long sleeve shirts. I've seen Mexican golfers don these shirts before, but I haven't seen very many folks in the states wearing them.

I love the short sleeve golf shirts with wicking material. Would never wear a t-shirt because the drywick or techwick shirts are just so much more comfortable in any kind of conditions.

Two things.

One, it's a bit rude to basically call @mcanadiens fat because he thinks grown men look horrible in shorts *he lives in Ohio btw, not Canada*. I'm no where near overweight and you'll never see me in shorts either. It doesn't matter how hot it is outside.

Two, there are plenty of t-shirts that are drywick/techwick/climacool etc materials. I have several that I wear. I play golf in anything from jeans and a white tee-shirt to "golf" slacks and "golf" polos with a white belt. What I wear has basically zero effect on how I play unless I'm wearing a long sleeved shirt, as I do have some trouble while wearing long sleeves.

I don't have an issue with what anyone wears when they play, shorts and a tank top or all out professional looking attire. What I care about is how they act on the course. For anyone who has a problem with a course having adress code, you have a simple recourse, don't play there.

6 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Not sure I wear little shorts like kids.  Maybe they wear shorter shorts in Canada, haven't played there in years.  Nothing wrong with being comfortable on the course though.

Again, just for reference, William lives in Ohio not Canada

@mcanadiens I'm beginning to think your forum handle here is throwing people off as to where you live... I'm not sure why I'm getting that feeling. :whistle:

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

oops, my bad

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

9 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

@mcanadiens I'm beginning to think your forum handle here is throwing people off as to where you live... I'm not sure why I'm getting that feeling. :whistle:

So it seems. I was a hockey fan before this area had an NHL team, so that's what that is.

If I were 10 years younger, maybe I'd be @cbluejackets or something like that.

Obviously we know that shorts are allowed in golf competition at most levels.  There's no link between shorts and kids, lol.  Choose not to wear them, fine - but there's nothing wrong with shorts at all - in my opinion.  They make a heck of a lot of sense. 

And besides - dress codes are for things that *aren't* fun like work and funerals and you're third cousin's wedding. 

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

I don't know what little golf shorts you wear but mine are Bermuda style that end right at the knee. 

I think one would look sillier running on a treadmill in pants than a golfer does in golf shorts.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

I'm not seriously suggesting shorts be banned. I just don't care for the look. Obviously society in general has accepted shorts for quite a while now.

Fat men working out is bound to look silly regardless, but I wear pretty standard sweat-type pants at the gym. The same sort of pants that many others do. 

I certainly don't mind dress codes, and I understand them.  A course that you pay $100+ to play is trying to maintain a certain image.  It is for the same reason that they keep the collar around the green perfectly manicured, that they like their guests to be well dressed.   both present a certain image of upscale, with high attention to detail.   

That said, I've never been to a course that was so strict on dress code that you couldn't wear shorts.  As a matter of fact, on the European Tour, golfers are now allowed to wear shorts for practice rounds and Pro-Ams.  

But, in contrast, there is one dress code rule that I very frequently break.  I often golf barefoot.  people often ask me why I do this.  I'm not going to be hyperbolic and suggest that the barefeet gives me a better grip on the course (though there is certainly no grip lost.)  It's just that, frankly, there isn't anything more relaxing than walking around for 4 hours in your barefeet on soft, perfectly manicured grass.   It is just very enjoyable.  

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

13 minutes ago, lastings said:

But, in contrast, there is one dress code rule that I very frequently break.  I often golf barefoot.  people often ask me why I do this.  I'm not going to be hyperbolic and suggest that the barefeet gives me a better grip on the course (though there is certainly no grip lost.)  It's just that, frankly, there isn't anything more relaxing than walking around for 4 hours in your barefeet on soft, perfectly manicured grass.   It is just very enjoyable.  

I've seen players going barefoot, and I can understand the attraction.  I think that when a course prohibits bare feet, its primarily from a liability standpoint.  A player who gets injured stepping on (you name it), and deciding to sue, could take a whole lot of the profits away.  No matter which way the suit ends, the club is out at least the attorney fees, and potentially a lot more.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

17 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Wow, I'm sorry that some of the old folks here dislike shorts. I'm sorry that it isn't the 1920s, but maybe you can go yell at kids to get off your lawn. Seriously, it's the 21st century. Some of us don't like having swamp ass in the middle of a 100-degree day, but apparently you do. Good for you!

8 hours ago, Sidehatch said:

Wow, I'm sorry that some of the old folks here dislike shorts. I'm sorry that it isn't the 1920s, but maybe you can go yell at kids to get off your lawn. Seriously, it's the 21st century. Some of us don't like having swamp ass in the middle of a 100-degree day, but apparently you do. Good for you!

Don't knock the 1920s whipper snapper. Had a lot of fun back then and you wouldn't know anything about it. The 21st century is overrated.

You can keep you speedo-wearing, 100-degree golfing butt out in CA and I'll be fine.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I've seen players going barefoot, and I can understand the attraction.  I think that when a course prohibits bare feet, its primarily from a liability standpoint.  A player who gets injured stepping on (you name it), and deciding to sue, could take a whole lot of the profits away.  No matter which way the suit ends, the club is out at least the attorney fees, and potentially a lot more.

That, and allowing any of the chemicals used in the up keep of the grass to soak into one's feet. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

9 hours ago, Sidehatch said:

I'm almost 70 and and almost all of my friends wear shorts in warm weather for most activities, including golf.  Seeing long pants on a golf course here in Colorado in summer is most unusual.  Mr. Hockey there is an aberration, even among us fogies.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The course we play has had collard shirt, shorts can not be jeans and soft spikes.  They are now changing some with regards to the collard shirt.  These new athletic style shirts that are dry fit can be seen across the course. 

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

Note: This thread is 2810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!