IGNORED

Dress Codes

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The course I am a member of does not have a dress code, however, I confess that I like them. I am playing it's sister course today, which does have a strict dress code. Soft spiked shoes, collared shirts which must be tucked in, tailored trousers or shorts. Shorts must be worn with white socks only. What is strange is that I hate golf snobbery, but I also hate chavy golfers.

What about you ?

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

1 hour ago, paininthenuts said:

What is strange is that I hate golf snobbery, but I also hate chavy golfers.

What about you ?

It's private property it's their choice. I have no issue with it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

White socks only?

• Upvote 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I perfectly understand a dress code and believe you should always have one on a golf course.  I would rather not play on a course that doesn't have one because then you wind up with people dressed very funny.  My philosophy is simple.  A collared T-shirt and pair of tailored pants or knee length shorts.  I don't agree with the white socks only and the soft spike shoes because I find it more comfortable to use sneakers on the course.  I find walking in them easier

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

We have a dress code, as do all of the Country Clubs in my area?  .  A few of the courses require white only when you play tennis.  I've never heard of a white socks only thing though.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I wouldn't be a member or regularly play at a course that had such a strict dress code but I wouldn't say "no" to a round at such a course either. 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

58 minutes ago, jamo said:

White socks only?

I've played at a few courses overseas that required over-the-calf length white socks to be worn with shorts.  

We have a similar dress code at my home club, shirts with a collar and sleeves (sleeveless is OK for women men), no jeans, no metal spikes.  Something like that is common at every private club I've been to.  Its not common at all at most of the public courses around here, although a few of the top end places may require something similar.  To be honest, I dress better for golf than I do for work.  

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Dress code on City of Dayton munis? Not friggin likely. Basically it's keep your naughty bits covered.

Honestly, I'm a slob anyway, so I wouldn't want any strict dress codes. I would say that shorts on a grown man is a terrible look.

I dress what ever way the course allows. If the want a tight ship, thats not a problem. If I can get away with a collared shirt, cargo shorts, and sandals with no socks, I am good that way too. I shoot the same scores, regardless of of my attire. 

I was once stopped at a county owned muni while going to practice wearing a sleeveless tee shirt. After a polite conversation, where I pointed out a very scantily dresses young lady to him, on the first tee, I was allowed to continue on my way. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I don't mind either way. I can wear some athletic pants and a tee shirt or a nice pair of pants and a collared shirt. If I don't know the course I default to the standard nice pants and collared shirt. I only wear spikeless shoes these days so that's never an issue.

*edit* Extra thought occurred to me about this, courses that tend to have stricter dress codes also tend to be better courses for the most part, so when I look one up and see that they have a strict dress code I expect to be playing a very nice course. I don't think I've been disappointed yet. However, that's not to say that I've never played on a nice course that wasn't strict, but it's definitely not as common.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Most of the places near me require a collared shirt the rest is up to you. The private or semi-private courses are more strict on the pants and shoes end of it.  I like it when courses have a strict dress code. 

The collared shirt requirement is a relic from the past.  The clubs didn't want you playing in an "undershirt."  I get that.  What I don't get is dressing down to play golf.  A cheap, flannel shirt is fine...an expensive cashmere sweater is not?  There are some really nice, expensive, collarless shirts out there.  They ought to pass muster.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

It doesn't bother me at all what people wear on the golf course.  Given the choice I would probably prefer to be a member of a club without a code rather than with one, all other things being equal.  However, most clubs near me have a dress code and generally the nicer the course the stricter they are.

Even over my golfing lifetime the dress codes seem to be getting less strict so in another hundred years, if golf is still around, my prediction is that they will have disappeared!

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

As I have previously stated, I think some type of dress code should be in place at courses. It doesn't have to be strict, but it should prevent people from feeling free to take their shirt off during play and show us all their farmers tanned beer gut glory. I think asking people to wear a decent pair of shorts and a collared shirt (golf/polo) shirt is not asking too much. 

...just another way to keep more players AWAY from golf!  Sheesh.

The strict dress code (white socks only?) means someone at the club has to enforce the dress code.  Me?  I'd show up with black socks just to see if anyone said anything.  But that's just who I am.

dave

• Upvote 1

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

What socks with black shorts and black shoes is more offensive to me than someone playing with their shirt off with farmers tan and beer gut.

I am a fan of the dress code, even though there are times I would like to sneak out in the early evening in my shorts and a t-shirt.

I did play a really upscale local men's only club. We passed the practice tee and there was a guy in cut off blue jeans and no shirt. Come to find out he was a local sports celebrity and that was his daily ritual. When I asked about a dress code, the member told me there was no formal dress code, but they frowned on you coming to the dining room naked, you needed at least a towel on.  

• Upvote 2

One other point I would like to make about dress codes, and I suspect this applies more to courses that are not ultra exclusive, in a time when we are looking to grow and expand the game, I think courses should educate people who come dressed outside of the rules of the dress code. If you are collar shirt course and a person comes dressed in a nice, but non-collar shirt, you can remind him that its a collar only facility and send him off the first tee. This would do more for the game than to send the guy home with a bad taste in his mouth about that stodgy old game of golf.

I realize there are lines and most of us have good enough sense to know when something meets the intent of the dress code, even if not the letter of the law. 

My wife and I were out late one evening in February. Course was nearly empty as the sun was setting. My wife was wearing a pair of denim stretch pants. I have been trying to get her playing for 3 years and she was going to play a few holes. Her first shot, she is walking back to the cart and a guy we had not seen before, comes up to the cart and tells me, "she can't play in those denim because we have a no denim rule." Keep in mind these are not blue jeans, they are not tacky and she could have had on shorts / pants that were much more "offensive" that met the rules.  As a result, my wife has no desire to play golf. I told her there is one like that in every club, but that was the rule and I should have told her (like that would have done any good).

Common sense.......well, it isn't so common.

I'm not a fan.  But, I think private clubs should be able to make any rule they like and I'll respect that and dress accordingly.  But if the course has a code and the members trash the course?  (seeds, cigarette and cigar butts, ball marks, unraked traps.....)  then they clearly have stupid priorities with their members.  I believe this is a clear indication that the priority is NOT about 'the golf', it's more about "the club".  I'm about the golf - YMMV

I''d rather have a no smoking policy than any other thing.

Tucked in shirts bothers me.   Untucking while playing is a comfort thing.

I prefer to play in a collared golf shirt, but only because I think I get better comfort and freedom of movement than a t-shirt.

Long pants when it's hot?  I won't choose to play at that course.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!