IGNORED

Proposing a So Cal end-of-summer meet up (SEPT 24)

Shindig
Note: This thread is 2681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there So Cal friends.  And anyone else who wants to come visit and play golf with us.

It's been a while since a So Cal TST outing, so I figured I'd try to set one up.

I was going to suggest Labor Day weekend, but I don't know if normal people do things that weekend.  So I'll propose instead August 20 September 24. It's a Saturday and the FedEx Cup playoffs won't have started yet.

I don't have a particular course in mind yet.  This is probably something we'd decide closer to when we know who can make it -- I'll try to make it some reasonable distance from everyone.  

I'm not sure how I'll go about getting prizes/goodies or a discount, but I'll do what I can.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Tagging @mvmac, @tristanhilton85, @Golfingdad… etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

August 20th is a maybe for me. It's right around the time I'll be moving my son into college in North Carolina.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Erik makes a good point.  Everyone who was tagged or posted in the attempt for one in March but not tagged above:  @Big C, @Lihu @Bechambo @Pakoh  @GolfSwine @No Mulligans  @bmartin461 @tonygonz1   @Mark B  @Coronagolfman    @Hacker James  @Ringworld  @jefkve  @bplewis24 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Thanks for throwing it out there @Shindig. Unfortunately, I'm already committed on the 20th of August. 

We also just had a second child arrive two weeks ago, so my weekend availability is going to be pretty spotty for a few months until my wife and I figure out a routine. For the time being, any rounds I play are probably going to be local and/or weekday rounds.

But keep me in the loop and if this thing gets pushed to the winter months, I may be able to make it work.

Consider me a maybe for this one.  Since I'd be coming from NorCal, I'll keep checking back to see if a group of guys are committed before I make plans to head down there.  But I'm open that weekend and flight rates are still reasonable.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I'm flexible on other dates.  Dates that I know I'm unavailable are:

8/13

10/1

I'll actually be in Socal on 9/23 for a work conference...so if you happen to have it that weekend I can make it :-)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bplewis24 said:

I'll actually be in Socal on 9/23 for a work conference...so if you happen to have it that weekend I can make it :-)

Considering the title of the thread, I can't think of a better weekend! :beer:

18 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Considering the title of the thread, I can't think of a better weekend! :beer:

Well, since August 20 and Labor Day weekend don't work for people, want to work with a tentative date of September 24?

And is there a way I can change the top post to reflect the new potential date?

-- Michael | My swing! 

Darn, 0-for-2! I'll be out of town for a work trip that weekend. But (subtle brag alert), it's the good kind of work trip where I get to play some golf. I'll be teeing it up at Erin Hills, WI that day. 

Regardless, that date sounds like it will work for others, so run with that and I'll try to make the next one.

• Upvote 1

Sorry we'll miss you, @Big C.  If this one is remotely successful, I'll try to see to it that one happens in winter (organizing it myself if I need to), and hopefully you can join us then. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

5 hours ago, Shindig said:

Well, since August 20 and Labor Day weekend don't work for people, want to work with a tentative date of September 24?

And is there a way I can change the top post to reflect the new potential date?

Mark me as tentative for that date, should work, but hard to tell at this point.

So it sounds like only a few guys are committed so far, but what location/area are you guys thinking of for this one?

10 hours ago, bplewis24 said:

So it sounds like only a few guys are committed so far, but what location/area are you guys thinking of for this one?

My plan was to see who could make it and try to find a place somewhere near the weighted center of the commitments.  

Alternately, I remember really liking Los Serranos South but haven't played in years, and could offer that as a candidate location that's pretty close to us.  Where in So Cal are you going to be?  I should be certain to not think of you as coming from Sacramento for the day. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

13 hours ago, Shindig said:

Where in So Cal are you going to be?  I should be certain to not think of you as coming from Sacramento for the day. 

I will be in Anaheim (right next to Disneyland) for a Yardi convention.  So I think I'm flying into Santa Ana.  I planned on grabbing a rental car after the convention anyway, so I can drive wherever I need to for the golf.  Ideally I would fly back out of the closest airport to the course, so that's the only reason I'm asking.  I'll check back when we have more people committed.

1 hour ago, bplewis24 said:

I will be in Anaheim (right next to Disneyland) for a Yardi convention.  So I think I'm flying into Santa Ana.  I planned on grabbing a rental car after the convention anyway, so I can drive wherever I need to for the golf.  Ideally I would fly back out of the closest airport to the course, so that's the only reason I'm asking.  I'll check back when we have more people committed.

Is it better for us to stay vague about the plans and wait for more to commit, or do we proceed with more specifics and try to entice more to commit?

Los Serranos is fine - I've only played it once but remember liking it.  Since Brandon is in SA area, we could also consider a "reunion" to our original outing location ... Mile Square.

Also, I've refrained from mentioning it in the recent past because I feel weird asking people to come to me, but I think you guys (who haven't already played there) would really like my home course, Tijeras Creek.

Lastly, we should also keep our eyes open for underpar.com deals that keep popping up.  I just got one today, in fact, for Oak Quarry for $89 for two players.  (The downside to the underpar deals, however, is that we have to be on our toes.  This one only allows tee times 5 days in advance and only works after noon on weekends.)

That's my 37 cents. :beer:

Also, maybe consider petitioning @tristanhilton85 or @mvmac to add the date to the thread title if we're pretty well set on it.

Note: This thread is 2681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!