IGNORED

What's your 78 yard club?

sirhacksalot
Note: This thread is 2781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Slice of Life said:

This is one of many differences between a 3 and 20 handicap. 

I have one, and one shot only for any specific distance that I can get to work with relative consistency lol

I'm right there with you,  I can manufacture some but like I mentioned before where I play there are a lot of forced carries and if you don't carry and are short the ball usually don't run, unless its a skulled wedge / thin bullet.  No rough can stop those.

On another note I practiced some 1/4 swing  / quick pitchie video swing hybrid 8 irons and was surprised the amount of check i was able to get.  Its still a lil too wild but maybe something I can add with more practice.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

middle/front pin: 85 yards with my 60 degree wedge. If i miss hit it, it would be arround 78/80 yards.

back pin: same wedge but punched down to the middle of the green landing at about 75 yards, specting 5/10 yards roll (i use long balls).

My favourite is probably a sawn off lower 52,  but might use a 56 or a PW depending on slope, wind and landing spot/roll conditions.

Carry or total? Do I have room for a rollout/rollup or do I have to nail it to the green? For high 70s carry and minimal rollout, that's probably my 56* sand wedge in a full swing addressed two balls back from centered. That'll punch it out about 75-80 yards and keep it in its own ball mark. If I have room to roll, I'll hit a full 52* wedge centered, or a soft pitching wedge (same backswing amount, about 80% swing power).

7 minutes ago, Liko81 said:

Carry or total? Do I have room for a rollout/rollup or do I have to nail it to the green? For high 70s carry and minimal rollout, that's probably my 56* sand wedge in a full swing addressed two balls back from centered. That'll punch it out about 75-80 yards and keep it in its own ball mark. If I have room to roll, I'll hit a full 52* wedge centered, or a soft pitching wedge (same backswing amount, about 80% swing power).

I'll have to try that, as far as room etc. I  posted a specific hole a few posts up.  Thanks for the idea.

In general it's 'most' of a SW (3/4ths?) - or all of a LW if I'm making clean contact that day

for weird situations, I'll reserve the right to any other club in the bag.....now, if you had asked what my 77 yard club was,....

Bill - 

What club do you guys use to spin the ball back with? I feel like I have more control at 78 yard with a 9 iron rather than SW. Given a nice clean lie ,a soft cover ball and clean grooves I feel more comfortable using a 9 or 8 iron 3/4 swing hit steeply and ball lands 80-85 yards and spins back several feet . That might be the ideal shot if pin is at the front 

Edited by dchoye

78 yards is in interesting number...56 most of the time, could be a 52 or 60 depending on conditions, actually seldom will be a 60 unless long is jail.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Half swing 50 degree, full pitch shot with PW, or full swing with 54. 

The half swing 50 is my favorite. 

Primary Bag  | PING G410+ 9deg | Titleist 917F 16.5deg | TM rescue hybrid 18deg | King Cobra Black Utility 21deg | TM P790 5-AW Recoil shafts | TM MG2 54/58 Wedges | TM Spider X putter 

I half swing a 58* with a considerable amount of lag that usually gets me to 60 yards on the nose. For an extra 15-20 yards I usually just take a light, but full swing with the ball in the middle of my stance.

That or just club up to a sand wedge and play a knock down.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

a fat 9 iron. 

• Upvote 2

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

1 hour ago, DrvFrShow said:

a fat 9 iron. 

Lol, sounds like a very recent experience.  

I had this shot yesterday and all cylinders were firing.  Choked down 3/4-swing 60 (cuz I was Killin my irons), right over the pin, 15 feet.  Missed the putt.  

Anyway, I say that cuz on another day I'd have to hit a full choked-down 60.  If you're swinging well, all your distances are going to be different.  Momentum and confidence have huge impacts on club selection, irrespective of playing conditions.

Edited by Gunther

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Lol, sounds like a very recent experience.  

I had this shot yesterday and all cylinders were firing.  Choked down 3/4-swing 60 (cuz I was Killin my irons), right over the pin, 15 feet.  Missed the putt.  

Anyway, I say that cuz on another day I'd have to hit a full choked-down 60.  If you're swinging well, all your distances are going to be different.  Momentum and confidence have huge impacts on club selection, irrespective of playing conditions.

Yeah it was. 11th hole. Short par 5 with a dogleg left. I pulled my drive and it also had a draw on it. The ball went off into the hardpan, but it wasn't too bad. Somehow I had a shot. Granted it was a blind shot, but when I measured it with my laser it was 130 yds. over some trees. So I pulled my 9 iron figuring it would land about 5 yds short and bounce up on and roll up to the flag. I caught it fat and left a 50 yd shot to the green. Eagle and opportunity blown. Then I pitched on and didn't do a very good job of that leaving myself a 35 foot putt which I three jacked for a bogey, costing me the hole to my opponent. :cry:

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Had exactly 78 yards to the pin yesterday, uphill.  Hit a smooth sand wedge to 79 yards and a bit left of the pin.  I doubt my gap wedge is viable for this shot unless I choke down and shorten my swing.

—Adam

Been working on my long game and putting and this is tough shot to keep routine 

Been using either a PW or GW and depending on the lie and slope.  Either high pitch like shot or lower punch wedge  I find that if I alter my grip slightly. Intermesh for punch wedges and ten finger for pitch  I can get more feel for the distance control 

Note: This thread is 2781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!