IGNORED

Tiger Woods is playing in the Safeway Open in October

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Heeeeere's Johnny!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ARMEL, Ind. – Perhaps this won’t be a lost year for Tiger Woods, after all.

Woods announced Wednesday that he "hopes" to make his long-awaited return to competition Oct. 13-16 at the PGA Tour’s Safeway Open in Napa, Calif.

The Tour’s season opener will be the first of three events that Woods will play before the end of the year: He also intends to tee it up in the Turkish Airlines Open (Nov. 3-6) and Hero World Challenge(Dec. 1-4).

“My rehabilitation is to the point where I’m comfortbale making plans, but I still have work to do,” he said in a statement released on his website. “Whether I can play depends on my continued progress and recovery. My hope is to have my game ready to go.”

Woods hasn’t played a competitive round since Aug. 23, 2015, when he posted a season-best tie for 10th at the Wyndham Championship. A month later, he underwent a second microdiscectomy, then had another follow-up procedure on his back a few weeks later. He has dropped to No. 711 in the world ranking.

Updates on his progress this year have been scarce, as fans were left to read the tea leaves after Woods made various appearances in his home simulator, on the range at a junior clinic, at hiscourse opening and at media day for the Quicken Loans National. The most recent update came on July 19, when his agent, Mark Steinberg, told GolfChannel.com that Woods would not play the rest of the season and that he was “continuing to make progress … and will continue to rehab and work hard to then assess when he starts play for the ’16/’17 season.”  

Turns out he could be back for the first event of the new season.

"It could be a fun fall," he said. "It was difficult missing tournaments that are important to me, but this time I was smart about my recovery and didn’t rush it."

Woods has played the Safeway (formerly known as the Frys.com Open) only once, in 2011. He had committed to play the event last year as part of an agreement with PGA Tour commissioner that allowed Woods and seven other players to participate in an exhibition in Turkey in 2012. He later withdrew because of injury.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

It's good to hear he is coming back, but still a little weary whether he is 100%--I hope he is.

Hopefully, he won't go through that chipping yips.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

This is good news, good for the sport and good for the Tour.
Now let the debate begin:
a) He is going to win a major in 2017
b) He is going to struggle like we mainly during 2014
c) He will return as we saw him in 2013

Maybe I should come out of my retirement as a caddie, that is if Joe Lacava doesn't still have that loop.

Players play, tough players win!

I realize the guy IS Tiger Woods, but how does he get into a tournament with a 711th world ranking?  Sponsor exemption? Other?

Just curious on the above question.

That said, I sincerely hope he's physically well enough off to compete.  Golf is always more worth watching when Tiger plays an event.  All the best to him.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, dave s said:

I realize the guy IS Tiger Woods, but how does he get into a tournament with a 711th world ranking?  Sponsor exemption? Other?

Uhh… he was player of the year in 2013. He's got a lifetime exemption to the PGA Tour.

I'm pretty sure if Jack Nicklaus wanted to play he'd qualify, too.

Heck, even with the 2013 stuff, I'm pretty sure he'd still have status if he was a regular guy with a few wins who took a medical leave.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Uhh… he was player of the year in 2013. He's got a lifetime exemption to the PGA Tour.

I'm pretty sure if Jack Nicklaus wanted to play he'd qualify, too.

Heck, even with the 2013 stuff, I'm pretty sure he'd still have status if he was a regular guy with a few wins who took a medical leave.

This is the same as some big amateurs getting exemptions....except Tiger can play anywhere he wants. 

I do hope Tiger makes a solid showing, but I dont expect him to win any of the 3 tournaments he entered.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

2 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

Has the mythical "needle" one hears so much about started moving yet, (outside of the Sand Trap, of course)...?

I would hazard a guess that his being in the tournament will at least boost the viewership for the first two days and if he makes the cut then all four days.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

Has the mythical "needle" one hears so much about started moving yet, (outside of the Sand Trap, of course)...?

Yes. Everyone immediately sent emails, Twitter started talking, etc.

Is the needle as big as three years ago? No, of course not. Still bigger than, say, news about Rickie Fowler. Much.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Lifetime exemption sounds like it'll get him into any tournament any time, no questions asked.  What I wanted to know.  Thanks.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

I hope it isn't a train wreck...

While I'd love to see the old Tiger I beleive it could be another disaster

40 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

This is good news, good for the sport and good for the Tour.
Now let the debate begin:
a) He is going to win a major in 2017
b) He is going to struggle like we mainly during 2014
c) He will return as we saw him in 2013

Maybe I should come out of my retirement as a caddie, that is if Joe Lacava doesn't still have that loop.

Maybe none of the above. Maybe he'll make an average, but not too disappointing, return. If I had to predict, I'd choose B.

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Booooo... Jason Day interjects with dose of pesky realism:

Yet Jason Day, the world No 1, played down early hopes. “Even though we’re expecting big things, I won’t expect too much from Tiger,” Day said. “It’s tough to come back and be as sharp straight away.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/sep/07/tiger-woods-return-golf-injury-layoff

Edited by ScouseJohnny

Glad he is coming back but have zero confidence his back is going to hold up.  Swinging a club thousands of times at 115-120+ MPH with the back surgeries he has had is a recipe for more disaster.  I know he is using very good doctors, trainers, etc. but the best team in the world is not going to miraculously heal a 40 year old guy who has put a ton of mileage on his body.

If he can come back and make one last big run these next 5-7 years Pro Golf may experience its best run ever with all the talent that is on tour now.

3 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

Booooo... Jason Day interjects with dose of pesky realism:

Honestly, I don't think many people are actually expecting him to come back and tear up the tour. If he makes cuts consistently and/or shows up near the leader board in the first few months playing I would classify that as a win for him. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 2818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!