IGNORED

Lifting my left heel?

lmkhl
Note: This thread is 2752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was considering lifting the left heel on my backswing for better rotation and to get a full shoulder turn. Do you think that will affect my swing path? If I'm a slicer, could that makes things worse or better?

I'm going to try it on the range this weekend, but if anyone knows the pros/cons of lifting the left heel versus having it planted, that would be great!

I started doing this a while back and so researched it a bit . . .conventional wisdom seems to be that if you want to lift your left heel . .fine.  There really isn't any trade-off.  If you're not really flexible, it may be better to lift your left heel.  Perhaps, at one time, it was thought that keeping it planted made you more accurate . . but I don't think that's the case now. 

My personal experience - after lifting my left heel for a while, though . .I ended up not lifting it.  Instead, I turn back until it feels like it *wants* to lift . .so I might lighten the pressure under it but not totally lift it.  I suck either way, though . .so keep that in consideration, lol.   

I wouldn't lift it intentionally or keep it planted intentionally. I have a friend (who shall not be tagged) who lifts it and often plants it inside of where it was. I would call this very bad. 

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here are my thoughts after dealing with this for the past 6 months...

Lifting the left heel will help your turn, but if you lift it too much and pull your left knee too much toward the right one it may also cause you to raise up making it tough to get back square.  I think this promotes an over the top swing which will cause a slice, shank, topping, etc.  This is from personal experience.

I have tried all sorts of techniques for the left heel.  And for me keeping it planted restricts a turn too much.  What seems to work, at least for me, is to move the knee straight out toward the ball when I make the turn. This does cause my heel to raise a bit, but it feels more controlled and I think it keeps me more centered.  You do have to make sure to shift your weight to the right on the backswing or you can reverse pivot.

John

18 hours ago, lmkhl said:

Was considering lifting the left heel on my backswing for better rotation and to get a full shoulder turn. Do you think that will affect my swing path? If I'm a slicer, could that makes things worse or better?

I'm going to try it on the range this weekend, but if anyone knows the pros/cons of lifting the left heel versus having it planted, that would be great!

Lots of outstanding players have lifted their left heel, but I see much less of it with today's group of fine players.  Without understanding your swing, we nobody can give appropriate swing advice.  I'd suggest that, instead of blundering about on your own, trying this and that, it would be a good idea for you to find a decent golf instructor to work with.  You can post videos of your swing on this website and get some excellent advice.

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

Be sure to "Reveal Hidden Contents" so that you understand how that section works, and how to take and post good videos.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I work pretty hard not to, though I have the tendency to anyway if I'm not paying attention (Here's a picture of me failing to keep it flat - it was a decent drive anyway).  ((it's also a picture indicating I need to eat more salads, but that's beside the point))

I think a stable base is a big deal.  I could be wrong.  But I'm trying to eliminate anything that's not strictly part of the movement needed and I've been getting good results.

MWSnap 2016-09-23, 09_34_22.jpg

Bill - 

Don't pay any attention to what the left heel does. Just make your swing. If it comes up, fine. If it doesn't, fine. The mistake is to think that it has to do something (or not). Let it do what it does.

Edited by The Recreational Golfer
completeness
  • Upvote 1

I noticed in a recent self video that my left knee tends to point inward on backswing. As I read in a recent article - I then focused on keeping it pointed at my foot, not bending in. Then there are those who claim the key to consistency is left knee bend, pointing to legendary pros as extreme examples http://www.somaxsports.com/video.php?analysis=jim-furyks-left-knee

:hmm: confused....

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

Here's some pretty good swing advice:

In my view, a stable base, and appropriate hip rotation, are important factors in a golf swing.  I'm sot sure that lifting the left heel adds much to either one.  I don't know that a specific amount of bend in the left knee is critical either, although some bend is necessary if you're going to make your hips rotate properly.

Again, finding proper instruction for YOUR swing is much more valuable than reading and trying stuff from magazines and websites to see what works for you today.  

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I have been experimenting with lifting the lead heel for about 2 years now. I am pretty happy with how it helps to increase my shoulder turn. I would highly recommend it as long as you don't sway and still get your weight forward at impact. 

• Upvote 1

Michael

I am in the camp that does not worry what the left heel is doing. I do notice that my lead knee travels towards the ball (a little outward versus toward the right). The only time I try to intentionally keep the left quiet, is when I am feeling "twitchy" and want to relax the body overall, stay centered, and  keep calm and loose. Usually during these times, I achieve the proper tempo to actually "hit" rather hard, even though I feel slow and easy on the back swing.  I use the word "slow" cautiously, it is not a contrived slow, just a relaxed feeling.  Just like "Seve" used to say..."Swing Easy - Hit Hard"

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

7 hours ago, zero said:

I noticed in a recent self video that my left knee tends to point inward on backswing. As I read in a recent article - I then focused on keeping it pointed at my foot, not bending in. Then there are those who claim the key to consistency is left knee bend, pointing to legendary pros as extreme examples http://www.somaxsports.com/video.php?analysis=jim-furyks-left-knee

:hmm: confused....

Is posting something from Somax intended to be a troll? The stuff that I've seen from them doesn't seem very reputable in terms of golf knowledge. Changing the unique stuff that Furyk does could well kill his top level accuracy and consistency.

I agree with @DaveP043 that if you don't move the lead knee away from the lead foot, I don't see how you can rotate your hips properly without putting a ton of unnecessary strain on your lower back.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

• Administrator
12 hours ago, rehmwa said:

MWSnap 2016-09-23, 09_34_22.jpg

Would love to see you turn your feet out and learn to turn your hips. You're not getting the upper body turn and are over-bending the right elbow to get a "full" backswing.

You likely sway your hips back too. I know this thread's not about you, but I wouldn't use that image as a "good" example of lifting your left heel. You likely wouldn't need to lift your left heel with a better pivot, @rehmwa.

9 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Here's some pretty good swing advice:

In my view, a stable base, and appropriate hip rotation, are important factors in a golf swing.

Bingo.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

15 hours ago, natureboy said:

Is posting something from Somax intended to be a troll? The stuff that I've seen from them doesn't seem very reputable in terms of golf knowledge. Changing the unique stuff that Furyk does could well kill his top level accuracy and consistency.

I agree with @DaveP043 that if you don't move the lead knee away from the lead foot, I don't see how you can rotate your hips properly without putting a ton of unnecessary strain on your lower back.

I know nothing about somax, just Googled knee bend.

Edited by zero

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

22 minutes ago, zero said:

I know nothing about somax, just Googled knee bend.

Re. that video, focusing on the left knee as the single factor making Furyk's swing excellent is blind, ignorant reductionism. Basically they are saying Furyk succeeds because he get his weight to his lead side in the transition / early in the downswing and squats a bit for power. Duh. Just save yourself headaches and ignore their loud blathering vids.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

You can be like Tiger and keep your foot flat and restrict your hip turn.  Of course your low back will give out like Tiger too.  Not many of us are athletes and train to protect our bodies from injury.  Lifting your heel allows your hips to turn with your shoulders lessening your chance of back injury.  Increased leg action does the same.  Look at Byron Nelson (11 wins in a row), Ben Hogan, Arnie, Jack, Bubba...  As one with a fused spine and living on pain pills for over 25 years, I could not play golf if I didn't allow my hips to turn either by lifting my heel or allowing my hips to turn. When I play well I shoot high 70's to low 80's.  Modern teaching seems to be shortening careers.  I'll stick with old school.

On 9/23/2016 at 10:15 PM, iacas said:

Would love to see you turn your feet out and learn to turn your hips. You're not getting the upper body turn and are over-bending the right elbow to get a "full" backswing.

You likely sway your hips back too. I know this thread's not about you, but I wouldn't use that image as a "good" example of lifting your left heel. You likely wouldn't need to lift your left heel with a better pivot, @rehmwa.

Bingo.

thanks, E.  the shot is after the top of my swing of course, shaft flex indicates.  So the turn is already half used up.

I'm working really hard to reduce my backswing - so i think you got something there in the upper body turn comment that I think relates, still,

my big miss is a pull left when I don't complete my hip turn, so I think you got something there too in the same comment - if I'm getting armsy, then the body turn is likely stifled on both ends of the swing.  I'll bet you have good comments about clearing my hips when I get something posted (to a 'my swing' post, not this one)

Hip sway is non-existent - but I'll show proof in video when I can.  (That was hard to eliminate, I'll tell you that).  Mostly it's about pressure loading without all the extra hip travel.  I'll tell you that this picture sure looks like I've traveled back over that right foot, probably was that day...so I still have work to do.  I hate falling back on my old habits....and I think I have been ......   (nice catch)

I'm WAY overdue posting a new swing - I'll see what I can get up soon - I'd really like the feedback on video, always better than just a snapshot.  When winter hits, we'll be in the golf dome taking vids and I need a couple drill items so I can use my winter better.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!