IGNORED

Advice for buying from a pro shop

drmevo
Note: This thread is 2727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently won some pro shop credit ($100) at a semi-private course nearby.  Thing is, I need to use it before November or it expires. I don't really need any clothes or accessories so I was thinking I might put it towards a new driver.  The problem is, while I'm sure I can test it out on the range, they just have regular old range balls and I'm doubtful there's any kind of fitting process.  I also can't really play a round there with a demo club unless I'm someone's guest or I'm willing to shell out $100+ to play off-peak times (which I'm not). 

There's a decent golf shop down the road from the course that offers fittings for $75/hour, with a $50 credit toward a related purchase within 30 days.  I've never had a proper fitting, so would it make sense to go to the golf shop, get fit, assume I'll probably get a custom shaft, go buy the same driver at the pro shop using my credit, and then buy the shaft from the golf store, applying the fitting credit?  When you get fit and end up with a custom shaft, is the shaft price usually totally on top of the full price of the off-the-rack driver, or is there typically a discount since you're not getting the OEM shaft? Obviously different stores do things differently, but I'm just wondering what is common practice. I'm trying not to overthink it but I also don't want to waste my pro shop credit.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I've seen shops remove the stock shaft and you pay the price of the fitted shaft as an add-on (if it's a shop that keeps shafts in stock...i.e., a good "fitter" shop).  And I've seen shops that fit you, then special-order the driver with that configuration.

An out-of-the-box idea, should you be unsure that you really need (or want to go through all of that for) a new driver:  use the pro-shop credit to get a nice gift for a good friend, or someone you feel you owe a gift of gratitude (someone that's picked up a round for you somewhere nice, or a nice dinner, etc.).  Always feels really nice to do that, and is warmly appreciated by the friend.

If you want to reward yourself - and don't decide on the driver - maybe rain gear, or a nice cool weather zip-up, pullover, etc. and hat combo?  

BamaWade

• Upvote 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First thing you should do is to see if any of the professionals there are on staff with anyone. Staff players usually get equipment at wholesale prices or better, so if you make nice you might be able to get deal under the table. Otherwise, you're probably just better off using the card to stock up on balls, gloves or something like that. 

• Upvote 1

There will be an up charge for the difference in price for the shaft you choose, from the standard shaft.  You won't pay for both.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Typically near the end of the season sales will begin and shops also begin to sell off Demo equipment.

Last year I purchased a new driver from my club and they let me choose a shaft from the stock drivers they had on hand which were inter-changeable.

1 hour ago, drmevo said:

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Fitting really is nothing more than achieving a desired launch and ball flight by adjusting weight position, face angle in clubs heads that have adjustments which many have nowadays. Shafts will give you various launch, stiffness with "kick feel" and the ability to work the ball flight.

My suggestion would be to discuss your intentions at the place you intend to use your credit. The staff will gladly assist you and answer any questions.

Also, if you do this in the late afternoon, once you narrow your choice, ask if you can hit a couple of drives on the first hole.

You then can compare the driver using your own brand golf balls and obtain the true distance.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

2 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Also, if you do this in the late afternoon, once you narrow your choice, ask if you can hit a couple of drives on the first hole.

You then can compare the driver using your own brand golf balls and obtain the true distance.

You might also be able to arrange this early in the morning, teeing off on one of the finishing holes.  It wouldn't hurt to somehow give them the impression that you were looking for a place to play regularly next year.  Its much more likely they'll do you a little favor if you're seen as a prospective long-term customer.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Thanks guys, good ideas here.  

1 hour ago, BamaWade said:

An out-of-the-box idea, should you be unsure that you really need (or want to go through all of that for) a new driver:  use the pro-shop credit to get a nice gift for a good friend, or someone you feel you owe a gift of gratitude (someone that's picked up a round for you somewhere nice, or a nice dinner, etc.).  Always feels really nice to do that, and is warmly appreciated by the friend.

I might end up doing this if I don't find any clubs. At the very least I could knock off a few Christmas gifts.

39 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Typically near the end of the season sales will begin and shops also begin to sell off Demo equipment.

Good call, it might pay off big to try to find out when they typically do that. I'm definitely not averse to getting demo gear if there's nothing wrong with it.

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

You might also be able to arrange this early in the morning, teeing off on one of the finishing holes.  It wouldn't hurt to somehow give them the impression that you were looking for a place to play regularly next year.  Its much more likely they'll do you a little favor if you're seen as a prospective long-term customer.

Well, this place has a waiting list with about 150 people on it, and some sort of lottery to determine membership, but that's a great suggestion otherwise.  :beer:

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

There will be an up charge for the difference in price for the shaft you choose, from the standard shaft.  You won't pay for both.

The last couple of years, TaylorMade and Callaway are offering more than a dozen different shafts for their drivers, with no upcharge. They also offer some uber-shafts that do have an upcharge fee. But, you have a lot to choose from these day in "stock" shafts. Likewise, the Titleist D-series drivers offer seven different stock shafts; other OEMs do this too.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

9 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

The last couple of years, TaylorMade and Callaway are offering more than a dozen different shafts for their drivers, with no upcharge. They also offer some uber-shafts that do have an upcharge fee. But, you have a lot to choose from these day in "stock" shafts. Likewise, the Titleist D-series drivers offer seven different stock shafts.

That's good to know as well, thanks.

I called over to the pro shop and it sounds like they don't stock much but they can order just about anything.  I'm somewhat torn because it seems like paying full price for the fitting plus the driver from separate places isn't making the most of my money, but on the other hand, I'd finally have something custom fit, and it would be a chance to get something like a Ping or a Titleist with a bit of a "discount."  I may call the store and see if I could likely squeeze in fitting for another club in the same session so I could use the credit for that.  Then I wouldn't feel like I was squandering it. Come to think of it, I'm not too attached to my 4 hybrid.....O:)

6 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

$100 at a pro shop - what will that get you?
A glove, a pair of socks and a sleeve of balls; maybe a ball marker

Exactly, that's why I don't want to buy that junk that I can buy anywhere else for half the price. I'm leaning towards something that is price-controlled, like a driver (assuming I find one significantly better than my current setup). It might allow me to buy, for example, a custom fit Ping G30 for $200 out of pocket. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Did you end up buying?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I did not yet.  I said I had until November, but really they are there until about Thanksgiving so I have a little more time (although not that much if I'm going to place an order I'd imagine).

My weekends have been stupid busy lately.  I have work appointments near the course and the shop later this week, so I'm hoping to have some time to stop in and see what my options are. For whatever reason I have the G30 on the brain. 

i stopped by the pro shop today at lunch. I actually figured if they had a nice rain jacket I'd buy that, as I don't have anything decent at the moment.  However, pickings were pretty slim. They had a lot of nice shirts and pullovers, but I don't need any of that stuff.  Otherwise, it was just the usual pro shop fare (and pro shop prices).  Nothing that stuck out as a great gift idea either.

I asked about ordering a driver, and sure enough, they could order a G30 for $300 and drop ship it to my house. So, I figured what the hell and ordered a G30 in 10.5 with a regular shaft (cost me $200 out-of-pocket with the credit).  I'll see how I hit it - I've already tried a friend's and hit it pretty well, but it was far from a scientific comparison to other drivers, including mine. I figure I can always get a different shaft for it down the road.

Tagging @iacas since he asked earlier. Thanks for the input all.

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

I asked about ordering a driver, and sure enough, they could order a G30 for $300 and drop ship it to my house. 

@iacas

Ha! You better believe they could. ....But I remember my parents used to give me a Dillard's certificate as part of my Christmas. That was tough until I discovered Cuisinart. Then one year they stopped. .......Not one to knock the OEM's, but when it comes to drivers and fw's you really might be surprised to know there are great options out there at less the cost and better quality. Not clones(personally I don't do clones). Just smaller companies with a little different niche market. 

On 9/28/2016 at 4:50 PM, Wally Fairway said:

$100 at a pro shop - what will that get you?
A glove, a pair of socks and a sleeve of balls; maybe a ball marker

I had about the same at my home course. Actually used it to replace a shaft on a driver. The pro did well to find a reasonably priced shaft for me. Had enough left over for a small bucket to test it out.

Note: This thread is 2727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!