IGNORED

Cheating

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 2716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Cheating?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever PURPOSELY cheated in a golf tournament/match?

• Yes- It's not cheating if you don't get caught
    • No- Never! Cheaters are scum in golf
    • Yes- In my early youth ( I was caught, or I grew up)
    • No- I have had the urge sometimes. However, I know the ramifications if caught.
    • Other- What is cheating? I'm kinda like a Gary Player or Vijay Singh type.

6 hours ago, Gunther said:

I've cheated relative to the rules of golf in both tournaments and money games.  But never have I cheated relative the rules established for that round.  E.g., in some of the tournaments I've played in, it's been preferred lies, for no reason really (wasn't wet), so I've taken advantage.  In our money games we allow pulling out of divots or footprints in a bunker, or rake and place if the bunkers are shit, I've done all that too.  But I've always played by the rules established for that particular round.

If I am playing in a money game, especially with guys I don't know I always ask for the "local rules". There is no sense hitting out of a fairway divot if the field is given relief. And I have been surprised by some of the creative things people come up with! In a real competition, it always pays to check the sheet. 

But cheating on purpose? Nope. It's the rules that we play by. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

In competition? Not on purpose, but I have when I wasn't clear on the ball drop from parallel shoulder rule. Would hold the ball above shoulder height in an attempt to make the ball bounce and 'sit up' higher in rough. I am clear now.

I have been blatantly cheated against and have lost money in competition though. The A-hole counted shots selectively and found the ball every time no matter how deep in the trees. I was new in the group and swallowed it. Scum.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I posted yes. But I don't think it's not cheating if you don't get caught. Cheating is cheating regardless.

I have never played in a tournament or organized match, but I have cheated while playing by myself and keeping a "legit" score for my records.  I have picked up tap ins before, left the flag in, played ob as a lateral hazard.

I suppose that would make me a bad person to some.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

31 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

I posted yes. But I don't think it's not cheating if you don't get caught. Cheating is cheating regardless.

I have never played in a tournament or organized match, but I have cheated while playing by myself and keeping a "legit" score for my records.  I have picked up tap ins before, left the flag in, played ob as a lateral hazard.

I doubt anyone thinks you're a bad person as long as you haven't cheated during a tournament or money game.   All the things you've listed as doing during casual rounds or even when posting for handicap work against you if you don't post an accurate score.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, CoachB25 said:

I used to get to golf with a group of guys that were seniors and real good men.  However, once in a great while, we would have this guy who would show up and in no uncertain terms, he was a cheat.  Unfortunately, he started to show up more and the core group of guys either changed the time that they played and one changed courses.  Why do people cheat?  I not only can't understand it, I sometimes get out of control over it.  I think I am the reason that these guys made changes because one day I could not let it go.  We were only playing for who would buy a drink at the turn but this guy never bought.  He always was "creative" in his score.  So, one day I told him he needed to buy and when he complained, I went through his score card the way it should have read.  He was off by 5 strokes.  I do regret it and should have just let it go. 

F that. Too many people let things slide. Sounds like this d bag ruined your game.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

13 hours ago, 14ledo81 said:

How do you live with yourself???????????????

13 hours ago, 14ledo81 said:

Technically you should have not voted or voted no. If you were in a match you would have taken a provisional or not done any of the other offenses.

I will pick up a putt of a few inches in a casual round but I would never intentionally break the rules during a match, which are usually for $$.   

16 hours ago, 14ledo81 said:

Nope, not bad person at all. Not for the rest of us. Absolutely keep at it... :-D.

I love vanity cappers who have to play by rules in competition!! The constant look of befuddlement (but, but, I NEVER play this bad..) on their faces is priceless. Worth the price of admission..

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

On 10/7/2016 at 3:26 PM, CoachB25 said:

I used to get to golf with a group of guys that were seniors and real good men.  However, once in a great while, we would have this guy who would show up and in no uncertain terms, he was a cheat.  Unfortunately, he started to show up more and the core group of guys either changed the time that they played and one changed courses.  Why do people cheat?  I not only can't understand it, I sometimes get out of control over it.  I think I am the reason that these guys made changes because one day I could not let it go.  We were only playing for who would buy a drink at the turn but this guy never bought.  He always was "creative" in his score.  So, one day I told him he needed to buy and when he complained, I went through his score card the way it should have read.  He was off by 5 strokes.  I do regret it and should have just let it go. 

No regrets.  Kusos to you for having some cajones.  Anyone who is as blatant as the guy you describe has to be called on it.  Someone has to have the guts to stand up and make him face the music.  His actions are inexcusable.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On Friday, October 07, 2016 at 4:26 PM, CoachB25 said:

I've had 2 similar situations.  One a dentist who used to be scratch and the other a former college player who entered a few mini-tour events.  I find that the guys who used to be good have the hardest time coming to grips with mediocrity.  They were horrendous cheats in all facets, from foot wedges, to literally dropping balls out of their pocket, to giving the wrong score.  It was left to me to confront them, as is usually the case and I ultimately told them both, you're welcome to play with us but you can't join the money game.  

I felt guilty in both situations and resented them, who were the actual cheaters, for making me feel like the bad guy.  Most guys in our group supported me but there were a couple who felt I should have just let it go.  I couldn't do it.  I felt I had to protect the integrity of our money game, there were often 30 guys involved.  Neither one of them ever came back and I think everyone was happier for it but it was awkward in both cases.

Edited by Gunther

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Thanks for the responses.  I guess I regret how over the top I was when he reported his score.  I kept track in the other cart of his score and his real score.  Ironically, it was one of the few times I rode in a cart since I almost always walk. Then again, that was why I thought I'd keep his score.  Cheating by 5 strokes on 9 totlal holes is absolute cheating.  I ran into one of the older guys the other day and told him I will be retiring in 2 years and can't wait to play with them on a regular basis all year long.  He commented that they no longer get together but then said he'd love to get that group back together to play.  I will be a part of that since, as I said, they are really good guys.  Several of these guys retired early and so, our age difference isn't that great. 

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

21 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

Either we have a lot of liars, or just isn't representative of the American population

Maybe you are just at a site with higher integrity golfers, stef...

5 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

Either we have a lot of liars, or just isn't representative of the American population

It depends upon the kind of club you belong to and the guys you play with.  One of my players was playing in a match and had a lost ball.  She was asked by some parents as to what type of ball she was playing and the number.  She knew both.  They found a ball matching.  When told that they found her ball, she looked at it and said it is not mine.  The parents were amazed.  She said that she had been taught that golf is a game of honor and so she could not claim that ball.  She said she puts a dot on hers and that ball had 2 dots.  That is what we should expect from everyone we play with.

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

6 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

Wait...an elective poll with 43 responses, on a site made up of golfers serious enough to join and contribute, might not be representative of the American population?

Shocking. :doh:

What % responses would be representative of the American population? Fill us in, please!

- John

On 10/7/2016 at 5:56 PM, 14ledo81 said:

Thats not a big deal because it doesn't really affect others. I will do that when I play casually with friends and such. Also thanks to UIL High School Golf Rules I do get to play OB as a lateral hazard- its great.

Note: This thread is 2716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!