IGNORED

Northern climate golfers, how many more rounds do you think you'll get in?

cutchemist42
Note: This thread is 2696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How many more rounds in 2016?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How many more rounds will you play in 2016?

• None, I'm done.
    • 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-20
    • 21+

Played through November last year because of the mild fall in eastern Ontario. A couple of courses stayed open in December, and I actually got out for a round on Christmas Eve. I hope to be skiing by then this year, but I imagine we'll get in at least 20 more rounds before we shut it down.

On October 7, 2016 at 1:16 PM, newtogolf said:

I'm hoping to get in at least 10 more rounds before the weather gets too bad.  

Define 'too bad'. :-P

snow golf.jpg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Only my second year living in the north (NYC area) so am unsure. I am guessing only 2-3 times based on the frequency I have been able to make it out to the courses thus far. 

Also, I don't appreciate my avatar calling me a sandbagger! Lol!

Edited by nycgopher

-4 this morning, snow on the ground. expecting slight warming, melting over the next few days. Probably gonna see two or three more cold rounds before they close.

My course released the grounds crew for the year a week and a half ago, so no more mowing until spring.  The pro shop shut down for the year.  They'll probably leave the flags out another couple weeks, but the cups stay in place through the winter, so us members can keep playing until the snow sticks.  I plan on playing at least a handful of more rounds - as long as the temp is above 40F.

John

On Sunday, October 09, 2016 at 8:56 AM, boogielicious said:

Define 'too bad'. :-P

snow golf.jpg

Is that a pic of you out playing?  I would def go out and play in the snow if a course stayed open.

We have frost on the ground this morning.  Too bad!  I got a Sat and Sun Tee time this weekend to make up for a couple of weekend of 0 golf!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Courses here are generally open year round, except for when there is snow on the ground. Our handicap season lasts for another month. So, I would expect to be able to get in another 2-3 rounds on my handicap, but then that's done until March.

In general, I'll play on and off throughout the winter. I try to get out and play once a month, which is generally not a problem. This time of year isn't that bad for weather; it's the spring that really sucks. We get storms fairly often, and if they happen at the wrong time, you won't be playing golf. I had two tournaments cancel last year because of storms, even though they were the only two weekends where it was bad.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

It really depends, last year I played all the way up until Christmas eve but others it snows by the end of October. I'm hoping to get another 5-10 rounds in before moving to indoor range work.

We're scheduled to play Saturday 10/15.  Mid-60s and dry.  Sounds like a good day for golf in NE Ohio!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I live on the east coast of the UK. I played right through the winter last year, and even teed off when it was -6*. The course was waterlogged some of the time, but we were very understanding when it came to giving relief. Fortunately we had no snow.

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I would say we have about another 3 maybe 4 weeks of decent golf weather here in the northeast. For me, thats like 5 or 6 more rounds and a couple of range sessions. 

But as long as its sunny with low winds and the greens aren't frozen, I play all winter long if I can find a course thats open. Though i don't practice at all during the winter. 

• Administrator

I added a poll and figure I'll play six to ten more times.

P.S. Add polls when they make sense for the topic, y'all. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I can usually play throughout the year but Oct and Nov are very dicey with weekends getting completely washed out. Like this weekend.

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 4.58.22 PM.png

Michael

I didn't think I'd enjoy playing in 40º weather but we played 27 yesterday and I dressed appropriately.    The sun came out and we ended with temps in the low 50s.    The sun made it worthwhile.   Of course, in Michigan, we have more sunless days than most.   Next week is suppose to be in the mid 60s so I'll be out almost every day.    

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I can play most of the year, but January and February we sometimes get some snow. It only last a few days to a week and the layoff is nice as we come back wanting to play some more. Sometimes playing every week 3-4 times while fun can get repetitive  and a break is nice to have. 

Note: This thread is 2696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!