IGNORED

The Funniest Shots

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2650 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can name three shots which I found hilarious. 

Two consecutive shots today, one by me, and one from my friend. He took his first, he plays off of twelve and is a handy golfer. A fairway shot which he topped, there was so much spin on it, it ended up 2 feet behind him. It was then my turn. I was in the trees but with a gap between them. The nearest tree was about 20 feet away, and I scuffed the ball, it hit a tree, bounced back and ended up exactly where it was. I took another shot without moving an inch. The funniest was last winter when I played against one of our green keepers, who is also a keen golfer. The tee was very wet and very muddy (we don't have mates). He had a cigarette in his mouth, and when he drove he hit the ground so hard the mud flew up, knocked the cigarette out of his mouth, and it burnt the end of his nose. I just wish I had videoed it. 

Yours please

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

A buddy went flag hunting on a 145-yard par three with the pin on the far right of the green. He missed right of the green and hit a sprinkler head that was angled just so that the ball jumped 40 feet up in the air and back left, barely hit the flag stick and ended up on the rim of the hole.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

A fairway shot which he topped, there was so much spin on it, it ended up 2 feet behind him.

Those shots don't rebound because of spin (if they had any it would be topspin); they rebound because they "bounce" out of the earth - the impact makes them go down and forward, so they "bounce" out backward and up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I remember hitting a pull hook 2H trying to make the green in 2 on a par 5, It rolled and rolled and then hopped up and on the way down it smacked the lip of the cart path on the right which bounced it up in the air to the right and it landed about 1 ft. on the green lol. Technically on in 2! It looked so sad though.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Oh, just thought of another one. Shanked a 5 wood shot, and the only thing that stopped it going out of bounds was a hare. He wasn't very happy, but wasn't hurt either.

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I have to say it was @missitnoonan's notorious shot out of a bunker at Oakland Hills on #11. He had to stand in a bunker to hit his ball that was not in the bunker and about thigh high. We could only see his torso sticking up out of the bunker as he addressed the ball and took some practice swings. Our friend said, "It looks like Dorf on Golf." I literally fell to the ground laughing. It took several holes to compose myself again.

- Shane

At Algonquin GC in St. Louis, the No. 16 hole produces a shot a couple of times a year that's funny for all except the person who hits it.

The 565-yd. par 5 comes out of a chute of trees from the tee box. You guessed it! Ever so often someone jerks a tee shot, hits a tree 20 feet ahead, and ricochets out of bounds behind the tee area. Laying three, and still a long way from home.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

This goes way back when I was a relative golf noob in the early 1990s....................

Let me attempt to paint this picture: ........a shortish par3 playing steeply downhill through the trees.    My group finished the hole and the next tee was a back-track trek up the hill to a teebox nearly next to the par3 box......We are waiting for the fairway to clear as a guy tees off on the par3 we just finished playing..........we hear the ball crack into the trees.....and curse words......and screams of elation shortly after!!    You guessed it.....the guy hit the trees and caught a ricochet from the trees.............and jarred it.  HOLE IN ONE....bounce out of the trees into the cup.  LOL..................EPIC!!!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Playing a course with two holes running parallel, I pushed a drive into the right rough. Hit my iron shot up to the green; it was a bit wet and sloppy so it left a muddy, irreparable divot hole. On the next hole, I pushed my drive...and it landed in the exact same divot hole.

I had to laugh.

- John

A couple of years ago I was playing with some friends and one guy hit his tee shot to the right where it landed right behind a small tree that was less than an inch in diameter.   The ball was about an inch behind the tree and an inch or two to the right, so theoretically, he had a clear shot towards the green but on his follow through, he would hit that little tree.  We all told him to take his medicine and chip back out into the fairway, but he decides that little tree isn't going to stop him, so he takes a mighty swing and comes up with just a shaft.  That little tree took the head of his club clean off.  He's standing there watching the head of his club go flying down the fairway.  

Another story, a couple of months ago, a friend of mine was teeing off, and he tends to tee his ball a little high, so he swings and goes under the ball, barely touching it so it pops straight up into the air, the ball is hanging in the air right in front of him, so he grabs the ball out of the air, pulls a new tee out of his pocket, and re-tees it as if nothing had happened.  

Love this thread, as I've started to realize the worst moments tend to make the best stories later on!

2nd shot of the day during a normal round this past Summer and was trying to come back over the trees from the wrong fairway on a mid-length par 4.  Caught it thin and sent a rocket right into the branches.  Rattled around a couple of times, then popped out softly and went straight down a well-marked irrigation pipe running beneath the course...made for a pretty good laugh haha.

- Bill

• 1 month later...

It happened again.  Same guy who tees his ball above the height of his driving club, which is a fairway wood.   First swing, his club goes clean under the ball, wipes out the tee, and puts just enough back spin on the ball for the ball to wind up a couple of inches behind where he had teed it.   He tees it back up, and second swing, exact same thing!   So he finally takes my advice and tees it nice and low where he can't possibly go underneath the ball, except, this time, he swings and digs a big deep trench under the ball so it goes straight up in the air and lands about 20 feet away.   That was so funny. 

this probably does not qualify as a "funny" shot,but was unexpected. Elevated green, could not see the hole. Chipping from about twenty yards, skulled the ball so that it just barely cleared the edge of the green, rolled about thirty feet into the hole for a blind birdie.I think I was more upset about not being able to see it drop than I was about mis-hitting it.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Tried to smoke a hybrid to the green in league play from around 8 feet or so from behind a tree and apparently drilled the tree about dead center.  The ball ricochet back at my face almost as fast nearly striking me.  Wound up loosing about 20 yards, the hole, and a good laugh by them.  

1 hour ago, Hatchman said:

Tried to smoke a hybrid to the green in league play from around 8 feet or so from behind a tree and apparently drilled the tree about dead center.  The ball ricochet back at my face almost as fast nearly striking me.  Wound up loosing about 20 yards, the hole, and a good laugh by them.  

I did that once on at a 100 year old tree with huge limb. Hit the limb dead center, after what seemed a long delay, the limb fell to the ground, no tearing, just a thud.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 2 weeks later...

A gentleman was paired with our group by the starter who I had never met before.  He was in his mid to late 30's and was a bogey player.  We were getting close to making the turn, so we were well into the round and on the tee box of a par 4 and we  were all hitting a driver.  He addressed the ball and took a big rip at it, but he hit the ball on the back of the heel just barely grazing it...

main-qimg-c3c3ed61db24d1036f0c5dcc1619ef27.png

The ball trickled between his legs and rolled about 6-8' behind him.

main-qimg-2b0e8959b741969ef7bb2ecebdc3d7aa-c.jpg

I've played a lot of golf, but I had never seen this before.  It was really funny...to us.  He wasn't too happy about it, so we were trying not to laugh, but weren't doing a good job.  It was an impossible shot...the ball literally went 90* from where he was aiming and slow-rolled between his legs and ended up directly behind him.

Two holes later he did it again.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Last year, I hit my 3H coming up an uphill par 5.  The course driveway crosses perpendicular about 100 yards in front of the green, which is where my nice long hybrid shot was heading, but I was too far downhill to see exactly where it landed.  Got in the cart all smug and cruised on up, about 50 yards from the driveway I notice a golf ball heading down the driveway, look on my hole and see absolutely nothing.   It stopped rolling 200 yards or so down and 2 holes over.  So my shot traveled about 180 yards and rolled another 200 for 380 yards. Longest and worst 3h yardage I've ever had, haha

Edited by Weizenbier

Note: This thread is 2650 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!