IGNORED

The Funniest Shots

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Back when I was truly a horrible player I was matched up with a couple guys I didn't know. It was a medium/long par 4 on one hole with a lake along the left side. I hit a long, low tee shot into the lake. Then, I took my drop. Then, I chunked the next shot about 30 feet. By now, the other two guys are waiting for me up on the green. So, I think I took a 9-iron from about 120 out and it went into the cup. Ugliest par of my life.

The other day my left-handed son (11) was next to me on the range (facing me). He topped a driver and the ball gently flew right up, about face-high, right in front of me. I just casually reached out, caught it in my left hand, and tossed it back to him. We both laughed...

Edited by HitAndGiggle

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

One day a shrunken old man, maybe late 80's came out to the range, very jovial, introduced himself to everyone, big smiles, etc. At this time the ball collector was making a very close pass, less than 25 yards away I'd say. So, naturally everyone stands down. Everyone except the old man, who hit teed up his driver and sent a low rocket directly at the ball collector, smacking the cage with a loud clang - like he was trying to hit the kid or something.  

Edited by Kalnoky

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last Sunday on a short par 3 over water. Thinned a 9i and hit a terrible slice. As the ball flew I knew it was going into the other fairway but NO. It hit a palm tree right of the green, line drived back to the green, rolled just past the stick and stopped 10 feet from the cup. Par!

my get up and go musta got up and went..

47 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

Last Sunday on a short par 3 over water. Thinned a 9i and hit a terrible slice. As the ball flew I knew it was going into the other fairway but NO. It hit a palm tree right of the green, line drived back to the green, rolled just past the stick and stopped 10 feet from the cup. Par!

You didn't make the birdie putt?!!! :-O

- Shane

57 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

I played 9 holes last fall some time and had not one, not two, but THREE drives, all good contact, all way off line, head into the trees, loud smack, trunk contact, ricochet back out near the middle of the fairway.

Unsurprisingly, that was an indication of how well I was striking the ball generally, and I didn't take those gifts and put up a good score for the 9 or anything.  In fact, I can't remember 100%, but I'm pretty sure I didn't par a single one of those three holes...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

16 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

You didn't make the birdie putt?!!! :-O

I forgot you didn't get to see me putt when we played lol.

1 hour ago, jetsknicks1 said:

I forgot you didn't get to see me putt when we played lol.

C'mon man! Putting is easy. ;-)

Spoiler

Not so easy when if your knees are knocking together.

- Shane

7 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Ya know. I never knew that until i saw it on TST. Oddly enough my putting has been on the rebound ever since.

11 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Hide contents

Not so easy when if your knees are knocking together.

No such thing as a gimme when I'm holding the flat stick buddy. :hmm:

I don't know about funny, but probably more ironic, or lucky.

I've only hit under par twice in my life.  The second time was this last summer.  I was hitting fairways and greens and just playing pretty much regulation golf.  Even on the front and 1 under on the back.

This was the absolutely the worst shot of the the entire day - 9th hole, I'm even - no bogies, no birdies so far.  Just clean.  I hit a decent drive down the left side and leave a perfect 9i (135 yds) to the hole from the first cut sitting up perfect lie - easy.....no problem......don't even have to try.....yeah right

Fatty McFatfat came into play, the ball is on a line to land 20 yards short and way off to the left of the green.  bushes and trees over there, I'll likely have to take my medicine and maybe won't even have a line to the green at all.  It's not even halfway to landing and I've already given up bogie or double in my mind on this hole.

It hits the cart path and takes a big hop back to the right and 'away' from me - ends up middle of the green with a decent 25 footer.

not funny, but cool that the worst strike of the day turned out to be another GIR and saved the round.  Some days are just your friends - makes up for the 19 of 20 days when they aren't.

Bill - 

I was playing with a buddy of mine, about 25+ years ago.  The course's driveway runs parallel to hole number from behind 200 yards behind the teebox and finally curves away from the hole about 175 yards down the fairway and everyone parks along curb b/c it's next to the clubhouse.  I step up, and tee my ball up on the right side of the box.  I proceed to hit the tee marker with my drive, it flies back about 50 yards and hits the windshield of my buddy's blazer!  I couldn't stop laughing! 

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

The shot itself wasn't too funny, but given the circumstances it was.  I was playing with an old friend who hadn't played in a while and was a bit rusty.  He was particularly having trouble on the ninth after slicing his drive into tree infested rough.  A punch, a couple topped shots, and a chip that hit a tree branch later, he was finally left with an open look at the flag about 10 feet off the green.  I had chipped on to the green and was waiting for the better part of five minutes to take my par putt while his downward spiral ensued.  He then proceeded to chip in for double bogey before looking at me and saying "well, I'll just wait on you to finish up..."

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Last season I hit a thin shot on a par 5 that skipped twice across the pond onto the green.   The golf gods were with me.  I had a couple other lucky bounces that day.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

7 hours ago, rehmwa said:

It hits the cart path and takes a big hop back to the right and 'away' from me - ends up middle of the green with a decent 25 footer.

not funny, but cool that the worst strike of the day turned out to be another GIR and saved the round.  Some days are just your friends - makes up for the 19 of 20 days when they aren't.

It wasn't part of an epic round or anything, but I've got a good cart path ricochet story too.

Short par 4, just over 300 yards, down in LA so I can roll it on with a good drive, the hard fairways, and the dry warm air.  Take out the big stick, swing too hard being all excited about driving a green and all, hit a nasty pull hook.  Lucky for me, the cart path runs down the left, pretty far left, then bends right as it starts the turn to run up behind the green.  Duck hook comes down just past the start of the bend, hits right at the meeting point of the far side of the cart path and the curb, rockets back to the right, stops 15-20 feet from the hole.  Two putt birdie.  Easy :banana:

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

One I recall was at a local course where #10 is a dogleg par 5, with the second shot going left up a hill so steep we nicknamed the hole the "Matterhorn"! My buddy cracked a nice drive out there and hit a second shot that looked like it had a chance for the green. But, it drifted just a little right, hit a slope, and bounced onto the cart path.

And here it came! It was amazing how true the ball bounced down that cart path. So much so, that it almost wound up at my buddy's feet! He only had to take about 10 steps to set up for his third shot!

18 hours ago, mdl said:

It wasn't part of an epic round or anything, but I've got a good cart path ricochet story too.

Short par 4, just over 300 yards, down in LA so I can roll it on with a good drive, the hard fairways, and the dry warm air.  Take out the big stick, swing too hard being all excited about driving a green and all, hit a nasty pull hook.  Lucky for me, the cart path runs down the left, pretty far left, then bends right as it starts the turn to run up behind the green.  Duck hook comes down just past the start of the bend, hits right at the meeting point of the far side of the cart path and the curb, rockets back to the right, stops 15-20 feet from the hole.  Two putt birdie.  Easy :banana:

When I was 13 I nearly drove a short par 5........it had a road that ran down the entire left side.  I was maybe a 200 yard driver at the time, I can't even guess how many bounces it took.  I was so excited to find the ball (and not hitting any cars) about 30 feet from the green that I sculled the pitch shot completely over and double bogied the hole.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!