IGNORED

How many three-putts (or more) did you have today?

woodzie264
Note: This thread is 2065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

33 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I guess the upside is that you must have a pretty good full swing to shoot an 86 with that many putts. 

It's just maddening to give yourself chance after chance for birdie or at least par, only to walk away from the hole with a bogey.

Eh, it comes and goes.

My irons have always been the best part of my game.  When their on I never feel like I'm out of a hole.  I've saved par from some awful locations thanks to really good iron play.  However, with my handicap being what it is, when their off I have to scramble like crazy.  The distance control is almost always there, the direction isn't always what I would like it to be.  I've started going through some swing changes and currently my irons are my most frustrating part of my game.  I had a couple days in a row where I seemingly couldn't miss (by my standard) and posted an 80 and a 78 and since then I've caught a case of the hooks which is manageable with 7 iron through my wedges, but it led to a few rounds where I was very hesitant to hit anything less than my 3 wood off the tee.  Those led to rounds where I felt like I struggled just to keep it in the mid 80s.  At least I've been hitting my driver well....

That 43 putt day was my putting low point.  I changed my entire practice routine for a few months just to pay more attention to my putting.  I still describe myself as a streaky putter, but I haven't had a day anywhere near that bad in 5 months.  That day was essentially the perfect storm.  One side of my game was firing on all cylinders while another went apocalyptically bad.

• Upvote 1

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Five 3 putts today in a round of 88. Also had four good looks at birdie and didn't sink one. Frustrating because I'm playing really well atm. 

I recently changed from cheap two piece balls to Chroms Softs. I'm loving the feel with my irons and wedges, but I'm not enjoying putting with them. For whatever reason I just can't seem to get the weight right for any length of putt. Hopefully I can figure it out because they're fantastic for other parts of my game.

• 4 weeks later...

One - big improvement over last round

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• 3 weeks later...

0 - only played 9 holes

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

yesterday's round...I had two...One was just a palm face plant... Money hole with my group.  Closest to the pin and par to win cash.   I hit my shot to about 20' and left myself about a 4' putt.   I walked up to the putt and without looking at the slope tried to bang it in the back of the cup.   That isn't what I was taught at Aimpoint Express!  3 putt and no $$.   

The second was about 70' down hill.   I still need to work on my speed....from Bead/Speed/Read. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

It wasn't today, but the last time I played I putted like an absolute beginner! First time playing that course this year. It features large greens that are quite fast and have a lot of contour that doesn't always LOOK like a lot of contour! Seriously, there are times I can't tell uphill from downhill on these things!

Just 4 days prior we played another course, who's greens are hardly pushovers, and I putted lights out! To save my sanity I'm chalking it up to inconsistency due to it being early in the season!

0... ZERO!  Picked up a new putter yesterday.  Early morning round, today, with no chance to try the putter on grass.  Had a 15 footer on #1 for my first putt.  No idea how the putter would work.  Rolled the 15 footer in.  From then on, it was magic.  My playing partner and I have probably played close to 100 rounds together.  He said he'd never seen me putt "lights out" like I did today.  As with any club, there is a honeymoon that can end pretty quickly.  Hopefully, the honeymoon with this putter lasts a long, long time.  Thanks to the putter... and some excellent ball striking... went 38/38 for a 76.  "Goodbye, Mr. Three Jack!" 

• Upvote 2

I putt like crap, and never realized it until my ball striking improved. Granted, I don't practice like I used to but over  spring break I was ball striking like never before, I was hitting 15-17 greens a round over the course of the week (played everyday), and never shot under par, shot between 72 and 75 each round. Each round I had at least 3 three putts. Not to make excuses but these south Texas greens can get pretty slick in the heat of the day. 

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9.0 Aldila Rogue Silver X-Stiff I Taylormade M2 3 wood Fujikara 661 Speeder X-Stiff I Callaway Apex 3 Iron UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F5 X-Stiff I Mizuno MP-59 4-PW Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff I Mizuno Wedges (Blue) 52_56_60 Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex I Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 USA Edition I Taylormade Tour Preferred 

• 2 weeks later...

Strange round yesterday. Had 34 putts total:

• Six 1-putts
  • Four 3-putts.

(They had aerated the greens a couple of days ago.)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Dumb question, but I am supposed to count putts from off the green, correct?

Never mind. I just looked it up and I shouldn't be counting those as putts.

Last round: Five 3-putts (I think all of those were from on the green).  But I countered that with five 1-putts, which is likely a personal best.

Jon

0. Now have gone my last 63 holes without a 3 putt.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Well, the same thing happened today at the same course. Only it was worse! Today a buddy and I played a 2 man scramble against a couple of friends. When you're three jacking as a two man team, that is bad!

Another word about the greens. Yes, they are large, undulating and fast, but they seemed to pass a threshold today. They were SCARY fast! To be that fast this early in the year, after 10 straight days of rain, 2 nice days, and some more rain just last night and this morning, is kind of mind boggling. It's nowhere near peak season, and I can see them having some pace of play problems if these greens get any faster.

I think they're going to have to slow them down, and I'm sure they know how to do that. It's just that I have never seen greens this fast, this early.

Only one 3 putt this week, probably good for me. Hit the green on a 188 yd par 3 finished about 30 feet from the pin (one of my best shots for the round), and managed to 3 putt. Downhill, sidehill putt that ran way past. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Edited by Midpack

7 three putts today.

Played 36 holes, shot 83 for the first 18 with 6 three putts.  Had birdie putts on 10 holes, only managed to make 2 of them.  Played frustratingly well, just couldn't get the ball in the hole.  Second round only had 1 three putt.  Shot a 77.  Much better :-P.

Today was odd, even during the first round my putting didn't feel off.  Normally when I rack up the putts I have no confidence in my stroke.  Today the stroke was fine, and I felt I could roll the ball where I wanted too.  Only problem was for 18 holes my ability to read greens was broken.

Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD

23 hours ago, baller7345 said:

7 three putts today.

Played 36 holes, shot 83 for the first 18 with 6 three putts.  Had birdie putts on 10 holes, only managed to make 2 of them.  Played frustratingly well, just couldn't get the ball in the hole.  Second round only had 1 three putt.  Shot a 77.  Much better :-P.

Today was odd, even during the first round my putting didn't feel off.  Normally when I rack up the putts I have no confidence in my stroke.  Today the stroke was fine, and I felt I could roll the ball where I wanted too.  Only problem was for 18 holes my ability to read greens was broken.

Read more  

Take the positive.  Absent the 6 extra putts on the first round, those are 2 extraordinarily good rounds for a 12 hcp.  If you maintain that level of ball striking, you're going to drop a bunch of hcp strokes very quickly!  :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Take the positive.  Absent the 6 extra putts on the first round, those are 2 extraordinarily good rounds for a 12 hcp.  If you maintain that level of ball striking, you're going to drop a bunch of hcp strokes very quickly!  :beer:

I need to update that number.  As of tomorrow I'll be a 10.1.  Still minus the 3 putts two very good rounds, even if the first one frustrated me.

Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD

Note: This thread is 2065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!