IGNORED

8 Stupidest Rules (golf.com)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you agree with the list?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How many of the proposed "Stupidest Rules" do you agree are stupid?

• None are stupid rules
    • 1 or 2 of them are stupid.
    • 3 to 5 of them are stupid.
    • 6 or 7 of them are stupid.
    • All 8 of them are stupid.

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

:doh:

I gave you a real reason.

Also, please define a spike mark. Ball marks are relatively easy to agree upon.

Spike marks? Not so.

I disagree...I think a spike mark is no more difficult to identify than a ball mark.  But the same standard as ball marks could easily apply.  FC's or opponents agree that it's a spike mark and it's tamped down.

As for pace of play, I bet I haven't asked someone, or had anyone ask me more than a handful of times in the last 500 rounds of golf as to whether a ball mark could be repaired.  I wouldn't expect spike marks to be any different.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Right. So you'd give players free reign to spend two minutes smoothing every bump on their entire line. Great.

Like I said… pace of play.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

Right. So you'd give players free reign to spend two minutes smoothing every bump on their entire line. Great.

Like I said… pace of play.

Not what I said at all.

Do you have any other argument against repairing spike marks?

In David's bag....

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Do you have any other argument against repairing spike marks?

Yep. :-)

Time to move on.

You don't like the rule. Noted.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The arguments so far are good enough. 

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yep. :-)

Time to move on.

You don't like the rule. Noted.

You posted right before me. I'll move on now :) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

6 hours ago, Rulesman said:

And if your opponent doesn't agree?

Then it doesn't get fixed.  

Or alternatvely, in a competitive round, you might decide to repair it anyway and be prepared for the subsequent claim....

Just as you'd do with a ball mark under the same circumstances.

In David's bag....

The rule in golf that makes the LEAST sense to me is this:  You slice a ball off the tee and it finds the middle of a lake.  You are allowed by rule to drop where the ball crossed the hazard and play from there.  1 penalty stroke.

With the exact same slice there happens to be a fence (and OB) between you and where the ball land, it's back to the tee box hitting 3.  Stroke and distance PLUS delay of game.

It's just not a practical rule for non-tour play.

My other beef with the overall rules of golf is that I BELIEVE the rules were written and apply to golf being played in pristine conditions and by tour-level players.  I realize golf rules have been around a long time, but I still believe they were written for tour-level players on the best course conditions in mind.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

One man's tamp is another's stamp.

Let's see, now that I have free reign to repair every imperfection on my line of putt, I'll just smack down a line all the way to the hole. Then I'll make more putts, just like at the golf store's putting green (the one with the subterranean channels to the hole). 

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

• Administrator
2 hours ago, dave s said:

The rule in golf that makes the LEAST sense to me is this:  You slice a ball off the tee and it finds the middle of a lake.  You are allowed by rule to drop where the ball crossed the hazard and play from there.  1 penalty stroke.

With the exact same slice there happens to be a fence (and OB) between you and where the ball land, it's back to the tee box hitting 3.  Stroke and distance PLUS delay of game.

It's just not a practical rule for non-tour play.

My other beef with the overall rules of golf is that I BELIEVE the rules were written and apply to golf being played in pristine conditions and by tour-level players.  I realize golf rules have been around a long time, but I still believe they were written for tour-level players on the best course conditions in mind.

• If you see your ball go OB, there's no real delay. Hit another ball from the tee.
  • Most water hazards are not obscured by a bunch of trees, etc. where a ball can be lost. Many OB are.
  • What's wrong with having graduated penalties? OB is a more severe penalty. And for good reason - you've left the golf course entirely. Water hazards, heck, you can still play from them if you choose.
2 minutes ago, Asheville said:

Let's see, now that I have free reign to repair every imperfection on my line of putt, I'll just smack down a line all the way to the hole. Then I'll make more putts, just like at the golf store's putting green (the one with the subterranean channels to the hole). 

Yup. Pace of play.

• Upvote 1

I really don't have issues with any of those rules. Placing instead of dropping would be fine with me, but I really don't care either way on that one.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• 1 month later...

I voted 1-2.

I would somehow modify stroke and distance. I agree with Erik's discussion on this, and agree with it for tournament play, and I don't like a bifurcation of rules, but for the weekly foursome on a crowded course, I'd like to be able to drop and take a stroke in some situations. If you see your ball fly OB, then certainly stroke and distance. If you think it is in, and it turns out it rolled on the other side of the stake, then drop it and take a stroke, rather than hold up play. Same for a lost ball, you thought was in plain sight. Obviously you could have played a provisional off the tee, but didn't anticipate the necessity. I have lost balls in the fairway or light rough.

On a tv tournament once, the player hit a ball into a dry barranca. It was a lateral hazard. The player saw it go in, the tv cameras saw it go in, but because they didn't find it, it was deemed a lost ball and he had to re-tee and play stroke and distance.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

On a tv tournament once, the player hit a ball into a dry barranca. It was a lateral hazard. The player saw it go in, the tv cameras saw it go in, but because they didn't find it, it was deemed a lost ball and he had to re-tee and play stroke and distance.

If the area was indeed marked as a hazard, and there's virtual certainty that the ball is in it, the ball isn't "lost" under the rules, he should have had the lateral hazard options.  The issue may have been the "virtual certainty" part, but the rules are pretty clear otherwise.  If the dry barranca was not marked as a hazard, and many of them are played as "through the green", playing it as a lost ball was his only choice.

I also remember Phil Mickelson hitting one into a dry lateral waste area at Torrey Pines and being forced to play it.  He'd hit a provisional into perfect position, and told people not to look for the ball, but someone did find it, and he had to play it.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If the area was indeed marked as a hazard, and there's virtual certainty that the ball is in it, the ball isn't "lost" under the rules, he should have had the lateral hazard options.

Small point of order, but that's not quite right. Balls can definitely be "lost" in a water hazard.

37 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I also remember Phil Mickelson hitting one into a dry lateral waste area at Torrey Pines and being forced to play it.  He'd hit a provisional into perfect position, and told people not to look for the ball, but someone did find it, and he had to play it.

He took an unplayable and returned to the tee under stroke and distance, but yes, since they'd found his original his provisional had to be abandoned.

Ditto Lickliter.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:26 PM, Asheville said:

What!?!?!  You mean to tell me that I'm not the golf store putting wizard that I thought I was??? :whistle:

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

I'm going to vote with @David in FL on this one.  Tamping down a few spike marks, or repairing a ball mark or two, while waiting for others to play up, is a courtesy to those behind and a nod of respect to the course.  Besides that...it gives you something to do when one, or more, fellow competitors is having a blow-up.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 2638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!