IGNORED

YouTube Instruction Discussion

RussUK
Note: This thread is 1884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Either you trust the instruction you're receiving or you don't. If someone is paying for instruction and at the same time, looking at YouTube videos, there's probably an issue.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can agree with much of what has been said regarding You Tube videos, RG weekly tips, infomercials and the like. All too often, some of these guys simply re-package an idea that has been around for years as if they have made a break through. Things like, keeping your right elbow in front of you, stay connected (Ledbetter, Haney, et al).  I do however, have followed  instructors that seem to make more sense and have a more realistic method of explanation (Martin Chuck being one). Even so, nothing really new. I guess King Solomon summed it up best: "There is nothing new under the sun, for all is vanity".  oh...Hogan did a pretty good job too.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

On 11/22/2016 at 0:56 PM, JonMA1 said:

Either you trust the instruction you're receiving or you don't. If someone is paying for instruction and at the same time, looking at YouTube videos, there's probably an issue.

Just speaking for myself . .I used to watch a ton of youtube videos even while getting paid instruction . .granted, I only went in for lessons every few months.  But the reason was not that the paid instruction was bad . .it was, at first, that I wanted to consume golf instruction 24/7 just about ...after that I transitioned to a place where I would use Youtube videos to help me "get" my priority piece . .because I would typically leave my lesson knowing *what* to do . .but not really understanding *how* to do it.  Nowadays, though . .I tend to learn things during my actual lesson time and don't really have need anymore for Youtube videos . .except just for fun.  

None of this is all that "ranty".

The thread should be called the YouTube Instruction Discussion. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• boogielicious changed the title to YouTube Instruction Discussion
2 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

Good idea. Changed.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

To be fair it was only a slight rant but it did quickly become quite positive so good point.

I found a couple of clips that really helped recently. I dont normally watch pro swings as many of the male pros swing so fast even the slow motion clips are rubbish....however, having watched LET player (and golf's first lady....according to Mr Crossfield) Sophie Walker swing on home made clips i really understand the sequencing of the down swing as she has a very deliberate swing and noticable hip slide. I also think i may have a soft spot for her too.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

20 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Just speaking for myself . .I used to watch a ton of youtube videos even while getting paid instruction . .granted, I only went in for lessons every few months.  But the reason was not that the paid instruction was bad . .it was, at first, that I wanted to consume golf instruction 24/7 just about ...after that I transitioned to a place where I would use Youtube videos to help me "get" my priority piece . .because I would typically leave my lesson knowing *what* to do . .but not really understanding *how* to do it.  Nowadays, though . .I tend to learn things during my actual lesson time and don't really have need anymore for Youtube videos . .except just for fun.  

I suppose if you're looking for instruction that supports what you're being taught, it might be a good thing. Maybe another swing thought or drill that might help what you're working on.

When I'm looking at other sources, YouTube, Golf Channel, etc., I'll pay attention up to the point of when they say something completely contrary to the things I believe to be true. It's not that I "know" what's right, just that I'm trying to simplify the process. Trying out too many contrary opinions would complicate it for me.

Jon

I think that if you have a solid understanding of your game and tendencies that you might pick up a nugget or two from YouTube videos. As for me, I just enjoy watching different personalities talk about the golf swing. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, easyjay39402 said:

I think that if you have a solid understanding of your game and tendencies…

That list is ridiculously short, and includes roughly 0 golfers with above a 9 index.

I barely have a handle on that stuff and it's what I do for a living. And I'm good at it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I wonder why Me and My Golf and other popular YT channels are so popular. Me and My Golf and Chris Ryan's channels have high production values, great presentation and very easy to digest but to me, they sound very similar and it's still basically self-diagnosis. You have Mike Malaska's channel where his sort of "one tip rules them all" of internally/externally rotating the trail/target arm early would be disaster for me but lots of people swearing by it. I really just wonder how many people are really improving their swings from these videos. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

I wonder why Me and My Golf and other popular YT channels are so popular. Me and My Golf and Chris Ryan's channels have high production values, great presentation and very easy to digest but to me, they sound very similar and it's still basically self-diagnosis. You have Mike Malaska's channel where his sort of "one tip rules them all" of internally/externally rotating the trail/target arm early would be disaster for me but lots of people swearing by it. I really just wonder how many people are really improving their swings from these videos.

Almost nobody. But golfers love to think that they're one quick tip away from breaking through.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think Youtube videos can be useful if they are used properly. 

Improper use would be searching for an answer, trying to diagnose your own swing, watching videos with too many different ideas.   The result is total confusion.  Why can't I hit the ball solidly?   Maybe it's my grip.   Maybe it's my stance, maybe I need more lag, maybe I'm not shifting my weight.   Etc etc etc. 

I think there is a good use, though, and that is, if it's one thing in particular you're working on.  If you already know you need to shift your weight better, you might look at some videos with some tips and drills on how to shift your weight.    But then the thing to do is to go back to your instructor and tell him, I know I need to shift my weight better, here is what I'm trying, and have him tell you if you're on the right track. 

Recently I went to the range and was hitting the ball fat, and could not stop hitting the ball fat.  So I went to youtube and found a video by Chris Ryan where he talked about 3 possible reasons why a person might hit the ball fat.  It helped a lot.  My next lesson wasn't for a week, and I didn't want to go back to my instructor and waste time talking about why I'm hitting the ball fat.   When I see him today, I'm going to tell him my experience and the solution I found on youtube, and he can tell me if I'm on the right track. 

I think watching videos can accelerate the learning process, if used properly, but they are no substitute for a good instructor. 

22 hours ago, RussUK said:

To be fair it was only a slight rant but it did quickly become quite positive so good point.

I found a couple of clips that really helped recently. I dont normally watch pro swings as many of the male pros swing so fast even the slow motion clips are rubbish....however, having watched LET player (and golf's first lady....according to Mr Crossfield) Sophie Walker swing on home made clips i really understand the sequencing of the down swing as she has a very deliberate swing and noticable hip slide. I also think i may have a soft spot for her too.

Looking at Pro swings helps a bit I think. You see commonalities that all great golfers have and many things that are different. This is was the 5 Simple Keys are based on, lots of research into what the commonalities are. 

But to really improve, you need to see your swing and see how you compare to those commonalities. You may be able to do it by yourself, but a well trained eye will certainly help more.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Reading this thread, I find it interesting.    I'd like to make an analogy  between a Youtube  golf watcher and an addicted gambler.   Each is looking for that one nugget that will put them over to the next level.   Whether it's a tip on the point spread on the Michigan / Ohio game or a better understanding on not hitting a fat shot, it's still the internet age that the quick fix is the way to faster understanding.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I've been trying to make sense of this concept. I still can't get my head around it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

42 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I've been trying to make sense of this concept. I still can't get my head around it.

Ha ha. I'm not gonna render judgement, cause I dunno shit, but I had to stop at the halfway mark for fear of completely ****ing up my swing. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Great topic. Overall I would say YouTube is fantastic as a knowledge base for information on the golf swing. The issue is that it is not organized. I mean that it is like a puzzle, a big one, and not only is it hard to solve just as a puzzle all by itself but also the pieces are all over your house. In different rooms and some of the pieces are not for your puzzle. So now you walk back to your puzzle thinking you have found "the piece" only to realize it's for another puzzle. So you get frustrated and go searching for more. And on and on.

At least that is how I have found it. 

I do know that today I know a ton more than I did at 20. I wish that I had YouTube because it would have avoided me going the wrong direction so many times. I was never going to be a professional golfer but I would be much better off now. 

The fact is though that mostly it is distracting. It is not going to magical make you better. There is not one video out that shaves 1-2 strokes immediately. There is knowledge though. And in concert with a smart professional and your video camera you can get better. It may be a light to think about something you are working on that can help you think about it another way. 

• Upvote 1

Michael

2 hours ago, mchepp said:

I do know that today I know a ton more than I did at 20. I wish that I had YouTube because it would have avoided me going the wrong direction so many times. I was never going to be a professional golfer but I would be much better off now. 

as I often say..."I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then".  I solved the puzzle by watching only Martin Chuck. I do pay casual attention to the occasional "post" however, separating the wheat from the chaff.....and there's lots of.......well, you know already.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 1884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!