IGNORED

Have you played golf on Thanksgiving or another holiday?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2713 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf on a Holiday  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Have you played golf on any or all of the following?

• Thanksgiving
    • Christmas Eve
    • Christmas Day
    • New Year's Eve
    • New Year's Day
    • Super Bowl Sunday
    • Your & your spouse's anniversary
    • Your spouse's birthday

I had a golf buddy who once played on Christmas Eve (this is in Michigan) and got home to the wife and kids well after dark.  Oddly enough, he was divorced shortly thereafter.

I have swung the club on a few special days, with my wife's "OK".  

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since I hunt almost every thanksgiving morning (this year is an exception), I think my wife would be ok with me playing golf instead. Other than the family get-togethers, holidays aren't that big of deal for either of us. 

As you can imagine @bkuehn1952, the weather in NW Michigan is usually the reason I can't golf on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Jon

All of the above

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The weather usually nixes any of the Fall/Winter holidays, but I enjoy these days with family members.  Birthdays and anniversary are night out celebrations so a daytime round is not an issue.  

I have ticked all the boxes apart from Christmas day and New years day, and that's only because my course is closed. I don't really understand what thanks giving is, and why the hell wouldn't you play when the super bowl is on. In fact, there's probably time to do 18 holes in one the advertising breaks. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

• Administrator

I think I've played all but Christmas Day, and that's only because the weather hasn't worked out. If it was 55 here I'd have played on a Christmas Day.

Maybe I have, though, and just don't remember. Last year I wore short sleeved shirts to play on Christmas Eve.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not actually on Thanksgiving or Christmas, but usually on the Saturday or Sunday afternoon after them. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I did not actually play a round but I hit the range for some practice this morning. A number of courses in my area have shotgun tourneys that went off at 7-730 am. Not sure how well attended they are, I considered it but we need to leave for a family thing at 1130

I couldn't answer as there was no option of "never."  I think at some point it would be reasonable that one day I might play on Super Bowl Sunday & New Year's Eve/Day IF a course was open. I don't see where I'd be given a pass on the others. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Played early this morning. I can give thanks for making my second ever birdie. Short par four. Drive was meh, but in the fairway, 100 yards left. Approach shot to 5 feet. Put it in the hole first putt. Almost followed with a par. I've been sucking but parred 3 holes and one birdie so I am happy.  

I've gone to the driving range on a few of those days. I don't think I've played an actual round though. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Played today as matter of fact !! It was a great day, not busy and you could really get in a good pace. I didnt play that well dang it. I shot 88 , on this perfect day to break 80 haha. Gonna go get after it tomorrow too. Happy Thanksgiving everybody and Hit Em Good !!

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

2 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I've probably played on my wife's birthday, but it was before I met her. ;-)

Amateurs!

Simply schedule her for a "day of beauty" at her favorite spa/salon.

You get double husband points for the gift and the thoughtfulness of actually scheduling it...

...and a free afternoon for yourself!  ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Nope.

And with respect to Thanksgiving:

Even if I'm not preparing the Turkey there are just to many hone-do's to escape. Maybe one of those year's I'll have to incorporate golf as the official venue. Some of the meet-ups here do a golf and dinner thing. That's the only way it's going to happen.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

7 minutes ago, Strat-Pack said:

Played today as matter of fact !! It was a great day, not busy and you could really get in a good pace. I didnt play that well dang it. I shot 88 , on this perfect day to break 80 haha. Gonna go get after it tomorrow too. Happy Thanksgiving everybody and Hit Em Good !!

Forgot to mention i have the best girl ever. She plays with me alot of times. She knows how it is to chase birdies. Lucky for sure !!

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

Note: This thread is 2713 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!