IGNORED

Opinions on Spieth

CptShankapotamus
Note: This thread is 2641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Relative to the entirety of a PGA career, Spieth is still in his childhood years of the tour despite his wild success already. But seeing how the emergence and resurgence of so many golfers to the top of the game has resulted in such a competitive landscape to where a more than a handful of guys can win on Sunday, do you all think he will raise his play to a higher level as we have seen previously? He is still playing killer golf, but his performances haven't been out of this world like we saw in the last couple years. This is NOT a "Spieth is declining" post but rather wondering if he can amp up his play to another level given the golf being played around him is better than the past few years. 

I am sure he'll always be in the top 25, maybe top 10 golfers for a while. He seems to have that sort of motivation. I think he will struggle against the long ball hitters if they get on a hot putting streak. He's not the longest hitter, nor the most accurate. I don't think he can lean on his putting to carry him. His game is pretty solid from tee to green, so he'll always be in contention I think. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I haven't done deep investigation of the numbers or anything, but I listened to the "No Laying Up" podcast interview with him where he claimed his coaches have told him that basically he only declined in strokes gained from 60-150 yards from 2015 to 2016, and he still won, what, twice this year, just didn't dominate the majors like 2015.  I think he'll continue to trade off rankings in the top 5 for years and win at least 5-6 more majors in his career.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Regardless of his golf, I believe, after watching him interact with his sister, he is a class act.  I don't always root for him to win but I enjoy watching him compete.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I like Spieth, I think the game is better w/ a Texan in the mix (consult history here). He seems like a thoughtful dude, I wouldn't mind having a beer with him.

I was re-watching the Byron Nelson yesterday on Golf Channel and Spieth was visibly rattled, he even admitted as much to the media. I think he connects with people like that - we can relate to him. So he'll always be popular, polarizing, whatever. 

However, when I think about a generational type of talent playing now, I think about Jason Day. I think Jason Day is going to outlast all these guys who are having success right now. Day has that killer instinct and laser focus I don't see in anyone else.

Edited by Kalnoky
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

However, when I think about a generational type of talent playing now, I think about Jason Day. I think Jason Day is going to outlast all these guys who are having success right now. Day has that killer instinct and laser focus I don't see in anyone else.

I like Jason Day.   I just hope he can stay healthy.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I think he is a top 5 talent. He had the one hole disaster at the Masters that seemed to affect him for quite awhile. His short game may be the best on Tour. He may need to get another coach to help him hit more fairways.

Edited by GLFTPS

46 minutes ago, GLFTPS said:

I think he is a top 5 talent. He had the one hole disaster at the Masters that seemed to affect him for quite awhile. His short game may be the best on Tour. He may need to get another coach to help him hit more fairways.

I think he can overcome that. But it will take another bad hole in a major, where he recovers and still wins, to show him he can win through adversity. All the great major champions Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods, Seve, etc. had that ability.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My take on Spieth will certainly have amazing periods in his game that we have seen previously.  The two things that impress me the most about him are:

1. His mental maturity
  2. His short game

When he was at the top of his game he was hitting is driver plenty long and straight.  I think he can get that back that form without question...maybe it will be streaky but Spieth can work that out.  What is hard to teach is the mental maturity and the way he carries himself.  He gets upset with himself on the course, sure but the kid seems like a vet when he is playing out there.  The short game is another one of those things that you either have that "gift" or you don't.  He was 2nd in strokes gained putting last year and 9th the year before.  His scrambling and strokes gained around the green are also top 25 the last couple years.

I mean, it feels like he had an off year last year but he still won twice and finished 9th in the Fed Ex Cup.  To the OPs point, he's still playing great golf.  I think he can get it back to that level of amazing golf.  Given the competition these days I don't know if he will ever have a Tiger-esque year (8-10 wins, 3 majors), but I certainly can still see another 2015 in the future which isn't all that bad.  :-)

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Jordan Spieth is 23 years old. He has the talent and skills to be Top 5 for many years to come. 4 years on the Tour, already 8 wins. Last season, he played 21 events with only 2 missed cuts while winning 2 events. He finished 9th for the FedEx standings. If that's a off year, I'm not worried for a bit for him.

He has a competitive mindset and maturity beyond his age. He can't overdrive versus the likes of Day, DJ and McIlroy but he can certainly play like Zach Johnson who has a stellar career. Spieth strengths are his short game and putting, focus on improving that and the wins and majors will keep coming for him. Every Tour player has a off year.

Can't wait for the 2017 season start! :beer: 

Right out of the gates, there . .I was starting to get caught up in the hype.  I was thinking - here is a guy who might have the goods to dominate...

Now I'm thinking - here's a guy who will be around and in contention hoisting trophies for many years to come - he may never dominate - but he will have periods of amazing golf, win many more events and more majors.  I would expect him to wrap up his career with half a dozen (or more) major titles.  One of the greats but not the GOAT.  

He is definitely my favorite golfer and he is in a weird spot right now in that even though he is a top 5 golfer, and was number 1 in the world, it sometimes feels like he is an underdog.  Though he is not a short hitter by any standard maybe its because he isn't an absolute bomber like DJ, Jason Day, Bubba, or Rory and yet can still compete on with them on any course.  

I know its an ambitious thought but with how he plays at Augusta I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes his career with the most all time Masters wins even if he doesnt win any other major.

• Upvote 1

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2016 at 6:24 AM, GLFTPS said:

He won a month and a half after that, so I definitely don't think it kept him down too long. He was never going to outperform his amazing 2015 season, and quite frankly, he may never be that dominant again. He'll be a mainstay in the top 10 or 15 for a LONG TIME though! 

He's one of the faces of golf and for great reason. He wears his heart in his sleeve and sometimes looks like a baby, but he's a class act through and through. I can't ever fully commit to him because he went to Texas (said OK State was 2nd choice damnit), but he's one of the handful of golfers I always enjoy watching.

Note: This thread is 2641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!