IGNORED

Chris Berman Out As Face of NFL for ESPN

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 2598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've never minded Berman, I just can't stand how he talks and talks and talks and talks until he absolutely has no breath left and his voice gets all gravelly and he has to take a giant BREATH

• Upvote 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

Goodness. I thought he was done years ago. I don't remember the last time I watched ESPN.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

Goodness. I thought he was done years ago. I don't remember the last time I watched ESPN.

Same here - short of actual live sports I never watch it anymore either.

Agree with all above that his schtick has been off the charts annoying since forever ago.

Hope he retires from the Pebble pro-am too.  One look at his swing is enough for me to vomit in my mouth a little.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Chris Berman legitimized the everyman approach to re-por-tage.  He was the fat guy on the couch who never shut up.  Aren't we all a bit like that?  I enjoyed his shtick...until I saw him trying to play golf.  After that I couldn't help thinking (expletive deleted)  how is it possible, with that much free time........?

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Jeez, the haters! Berman is the guy who put ESPN on the map! Remember when the network was launched? They were the outfit with the goofy name that broadcast Aussie Rules Football and Romanian Water Polo!

Admittedly, Berman went over the top a while ago, but ESPN has a habit of abusing their on air talent. Just look at the people who have left the place!

For instance, I heard Berman tell a story about how some management suit told him to stop with the nicknames. You know. Cody "Bad Moon" Riesen, Michael "Eeh Hee" Jackson. So, Berman stopped. Soon they were flooded with letters, calls, and e-mails asking what the Hell happened to the nicknames!? Turns out the viewership loved them! The suit went away and Berman stayed!

Also, I think it was Berman's idea for ESPN to broadcast the NFL draft. He told about how they called for a meeting with the Commish and the top brass. They presented the idea and were met with blank stares! You want to do what? Berman explained about how much chatter there was out there about which team should draft who. They talked the NFL into it on a trial basis and it's been a fixture ever since!

And just how "pretty" is your golf swing!?

• Upvote 1

Chris Berman is a rare real-life example of Flanderization.

(WHUPT!)

(Backbackbackback)

(Insert '70s AOR-inspired nickname that goes over the head of anyone under 40 here)

(Schwammee!)

• Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator

I never liked him.

Ever.

If he was on I changed the channel. 

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've always enjoyed his segments.. always wanted to watch his recaps Sunday and Monday nights back in the day.  I haven't really watched tv for the past 5-8 years though so I didn't witness his downhill slide, but have read bad press about him.

It was probably time to go for him a few years ago, and btw I also enjoyed the nick names!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

I haven't really watched tv for the past 5-8 years though so I didn't witness his downhill slide, but have read bad press about him.

He went downhill from a decade ago?

HOW????

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
13 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

OK, so who do you like? Jack Buck and his "Miami Vice" beard?

Not the topic here.

Jack Buck died in the early 2000s no?

• Administrator
Just now, Golfingdad said:

Charlie Rymer did pretty funny "swing analysis" on Berman this morning.  Gave it to him pretty good too - I should have recorded it. :P

I just saw that. Something like the 10 or 11 things he did wrong in the swing.

And most of them were reasonably accurate. :-)

#11 was "wipes club with hand" and #10 was "begs for cheering" I think.

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2017 at 8:41 PM, iacas said:

I never liked him.

Ever.

If he was on I changed the channel. 

100% in agreement. Totally obnoxious. 

On 2/10/2017 at 0:37 PM, iacas said:

Not the topic here.

Jack Buck died in the early 2000s no?

Awww, so sorry! I meant Joe Buck! Hell! I'm 64 years old! Is it any surprise that that I remember Jack Buck more than Joe? Back when I was a kid, I'd have my cheesy little transistor radio under the covers with me, and if the "air" was right, I could dial in KMOX out of St. Louis and listen to Jack Buck call the game!

Please forgive me my misspeak!

Note: This thread is 2598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!