IGNORED

Does Anyone Still Wear Traditional Golf Shoes?

Note: This thread is 2634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As golf equipment and fashion have evolved since I started playing 40 years ago, I have had no problem staying current with modern trends, except in one area...shoes.

images.jpg

I can't get on-board with the current shoe styles.  I used to have a thing for shoes.  I wouldn't call it an obsession or anything like that, but if I saw a cool pair of shoes, I bought them.  It was only with golf shoes.  Mainly FootJoy Classics.  I currently have 13 pair of Classics, plus a pair of Nike, Dexter, Etonic and Callaway.  All very traditional styles.  I think they look better with slacks and are overall classier. Anyone else feel the same way?

• Upvote 2

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, 1badbadger said:

As golf equipment and fashion have evolved since I started playing 40 years ago, I have had no problem staying current with modern trends, except in one area...shoes.

images.jpg

I can't get on-board with the current shoe styles.  I used to have a thing for shoes.  I wouldn't call it an obsession or anything like that, but if I saw a cool pair of shoes, I bought them.  It was only with golf shoes.  Mainly FootJoy Classics.  I currently have 13 pair of Classics, plus a pair of Nike, Dexter, Etonic and Callaway.  All very traditional styles.  I think they look better with slacks and are overall classier. Anyone else feel the same way?

I grew up on sneakers and all my memories of shoes like this were from having to dress up for school. I try to get away with wearing my Nike Pegasus on any occasion I can in daily life because I find them so damn comfortable. For golf, I just bought the Adidas Tour 360 Boosts last week to replace my Adidas Tour 360 ATVs, and I think they look awesome. A mix of classic style by having a full leather upper, but definitely athletic looking. I wouldn't wear something crazy athletic and off the wall like the Foot Joy Freestyle, but I would err in that direction over a more classic shoe like you pictured. But wear whatever you love, man. I prep out with polos and Vineyard Vines everything, so I don't have a leg to stand on in terms of fashion sense.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Yep.  Footjoy Icons here.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Last year I bought Footjoy Contour (black) just because they are waterproof and so comfortable.   I would be open to something different when these die.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I cant see my self going back to a leather saddle shoe, no. Im happy with all the new construction and lighter materials alot golf shoes have now. As a walker, weight is key for me. I love the TW14 shoe. So much so i bought two more pairs of them after the originals i bought finally wore out. I bought a pair of the nike lunar control last year and loved those to. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

images.jpg

I've wondered why they still allow spikes like that.  Wasn't protecting the greens the reason for not permitting metal spikes?  Those certainly tear up a green more than the old style metal spikes.  I want to be considerate and keep the course in good shape.

They don't look very comfortable either.  I walk courses, I look for comfortable shoes for a long walk.  I also want a shoe without an elevated heel.

I use these:

true linkswear.JPG

I also like shoes. I have been eyeballing the Footjoy Professional Spikeless, which is a hybrid of the old style golf shoe w/ a modern sole. I think it looks classy, and especially with pants. But I will work on my swing before more before I can justify that expense. 

• Upvote 1

G/Fore Gallivanter IV - these are a great blend between traditional style looking golf shoe that performs and feels like the new age "athletic" style golf shoe.  They have a built in "spike" so to speak.  They are part of the shoe but very similar to the replaceable plastic of most shoes today.  Anyways, I've been looking for some 11 or 11.5 and can't find them anywhere.  Luckily, the 2017's are set to come out beginning of March I believe.  

https://www.gfore.com/men-shop/gallivanter-shoes.html

Their shoes are a thing of beauty and not nearly as expensive as the FootJoy ICON Black and the ECCO Tour Pro, which are similar for their respective brands.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, dkolo said:

I grew up on sneakers and all my memories of shoes like this were from having to dress up for school. I try to get away with wearing my Nike Pegasus on any occasion I can in daily life because I find them so damn comfortable. For golf, I just bought the Adidas Tour 360 Boosts last week to replace my Adidas Tour 360 ATVs, and I think they look awesome. A mix of classic style by having a full leather upper, but definitely athletic looking. I wouldn't wear something crazy athletic and off the wall like the Foot Joy Freestyle, but I would err in that direction over a more classic shoe like you pictured. But wear whatever you love, man. I prep out with polos and Vineyard Vines everything, so I don't have a leg to stand on in terms of fashion sense.

I never thought I would wear the FJ Freestyles, until I tried them on. I usually wear running shoes, and they feel like running shoes with soft spikes. I'm not crazy about the looks, but my feet feel good.

1 hour ago, No Mulligans said:

I've wondered why they still allow spikes like that.  Wasn't protecting the greens the reason for not permitting metal spikes?  Those certainly tear up a green more than the old style metal spikes.  I want to be considerate and keep the course in good shape.

They don't look very comfortable either.  I walk courses, I look for comfortable shoes for a long walk.  I also want a shoe without an elevated heel.

I use these:

true linkswear.JPG

That type of soft spike can certainly tear up a green.  I've accidentally dragged my foot while walking on a green and it can do some damage.

As far as comfort goes, I think they are very comfortable, but they are very heavy.  Especially the Classic Dry Premier which has an all leather sole.  The Classic Tour has a synthetic sole and is 15% lighter, but still much heavier than modern shoes like the pic you posted.

• Upvote 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

6 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I never thought I would wear the FJ Freestyles, until I tried them on. I usually wear running shoes, and they feel like running shoes with soft spikes. I'm not crazy about the looks, but my feet feel good.

Yeah they're really comfortable and they have some colorways that aren't completely garish, but I didn't want a shoe with only 6 spikes. But I'm with you, golf is a sport, so a more athletic type of shoe makes more sense to me. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

one pair of very traditional all black FootJoy's & one pair of the FootJoy HyperFlex

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

13 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

I use these:

true linkswear.JPG

Any type of spike/shoe can tear up a green.  Soft spikes don't really do damage to the greens unless someone is running around like a fool, or dragging their feet around.  The biggest culprits are people not repairing balls marks, idiots throwing their clubs around, natural occurring events (storms, diseases, rednecks in pickups).  At least that was my experience from several summers on a grounds crew, back in the day...

23 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

images.jpg

I prefer leather soft spike shoes, they are comfortable once broken in, provide a lot of lateral support, are better in wet conditions, and I mostly walk (you can change out the spikes when they wear down).  But not a fan of the two tone saddle look.

I do have a pair of FJ spikeless, they are comfy, but not my preference 

Edited by Denny Bang Bang

I like to look of the older, oxford golf shoes. But, I have a narrow foot and most of these require a special order, if a model even comes in narrow.

My workaround? I go with Nike and Adidas, running shoe companies whose medium-width golf shoes are narrower than other shoe lines. They fit me just fine.

I gone with an Adidas oxford shoe, white trimmed with tan, and Nike Air Tour Sport (circa 2012), one pair each black and white.

The Nike shoe is halfway between a running shoe and an oxford, with firm leather uppers. All three are very water-resistant and very durable.

These shoes have soft plastic spikes - Champ Stingers - and I have replaced them several times. If I'm playing on a full golf course, I always wear shoes with spikes. If I'm practicing on the range or playing a par 3 course, I'll sometimes wear cross-training shoes. But if it's out among the hills, I go with spikes.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Only one brand fits my foot shape well - Nike's.  So I've had a Lunar (something) for a long time - 3rd new pair is now sitting and waiting for the snow to melt, the 2nd pair is in the trunk for golf dome time, but they are getting worn out.

I have 3 criteria for golf shoes

• comfort
  • durability
  • comfort

for the last 35 years of wearing shoes, it's only in the last 5-10 years or so that golf shoes have fit as good or better than just a tennis shoe and not tear my feet apart.  and it's pretty much been that the more they look like cross trainers and the LESS they look like dress shoes, the better.  So the OP picture?  I avoid that like the plague.

I could not care less about fashion..  I'm playing golf, not walking a runway.

Bill - 

I always liked the look of the wing tip style golf shoe, whether saddle or all black.  Many of us think of that style as traditional.  Unfortunately it seems like the wing tip style is now primarily found in the more expensive versions of a shoe company's lineup.  So my frugality has somewhat forced me to adopt a more modern styling.  Right now I wear Footjoy Contours (one pair all black and the other b&w saddle).  Don't know what the replacement pairs will look like but they probably won't look like running shoes or sneakers.

Brian Kuehn

i still like the traditional look of the saddle shoe and that is what I have always worn.  These are usually higher priced shoe and I have played foot-joy for quite a while.  I do admit that the sole of my 2 year old all leather Foot Joys came loose late last season and the only shoe my size and style I could find was a pair of Foot Joy Green Joys (synthetic uppers).  I have played about 7 rounds of golf with them and they performed better than expected.  I could have bought higher end sneaker looking shoes but I wanted the saddles.

I think I prefer the saddle look. To me, that's what a golf shoe is supposed to look like. But I'm all for innovation and making them perform better. Just leave me a style option that at least pays homage to the traditional look.

But honestly, the shoe companies certainly shouldn't make any decisions based on my feedback. I'm still rocking the $35 FJ's I bought 10 years ago. Just replaced the spikes and re-glued the soles last month. Good as new. :-P

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Note: This thread is 2634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!