IGNORED

The Perfect Round of Golf

rehmwa
Note: This thread is 2595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

57 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

So "perfect" for you is scored based.

I scored 18 under on my Wii - does that count?

and for each 3 group hole = -4 (birdie birdie eagle) separately

Actually no. That's not what I said. I said, theoretically, -18 could be the definition, but that for me, what others have said, very well by the way, applies.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/4/2017 at 7:31 PM, sjduffers said:

Actually no. That's not what I said. I said, theoretically, -18 could be the definition, but that for me, what others have said, very well by the way, applies.

that's fine - I was more fishing for what people consider perfect performance so I focused on that aspect of your post (pretty much depends on what someone considers the purpose of particular shots - one could take it to an extreme or practical basis - probably a topic like that would just result in semantic arguments anyway (apparently), so I'm happy it took a different track).  The squishy stuff is interesting, but more of a tangent for me.

Bill - 

Come on boys and girls lets take this up a notch!

1. Great layout perfectly manicured preferably somewhere tropical.

2. Perfect weather

3. A foursome or two with some good friendly action.

4. Shoot in the 70's.

5. Jessica Alba on the 18th green  with some refreshing beverages

6. That one guy in your group (you either know who I am talking about or.. hmmm!) couldn't make it that day.

7. Same thing tomorrow except a bit later tee time. (see number 5 above ;-))

My favorite rounds have always been big destination outings with some friends--usually 2 or 3  4-somes.  

So I guess my perfect round would be playing on top of my game against 11 of my buddies, in 75 & sunny weather, with a 6 pack on ice.  Less focused on performance than many in this thread, but that's my perspective on the "perfect" round.  

24 minutes ago, ev780 said:

5. Jessica Alba on the 18th green  with some refreshing beverages

And I like this suggestion.  I'll throw that into my perfect round too 

28 minutes ago, ev780 said:

1. Great layout perfectly manicured preferably somewhere tropical.

As a long time muni golfer, perfectly manicured gives me the creeps. It's almost like taking a divot is like pooping on some rich guy's rug.

My perfect rounds are those that meet my goal for that day.  I've had one.  I was with a friend playing Cleghorn Plantation near Rutherfordton, NC.  Our group of friends used to play there every year but life gets busy and this year it was just he and I.  I never broke 80 in all the rounds I played there and my goal was to do that this year.  Was pretty sure it would be the last year of going there.  Course was a par 71.  Last day, last round I play the front in +7.  The first eight holes of the back I had three birdies, four bogies and one par.  Last hole (par 5), good drive, good 2nd but 3rd is short right of green.  Chip to 4'.  Make the putt for 79.  Have not been back there since.  No one else wants to drive that far (about 12 hours) any more when we have so many good courses in Michigan.

Another masochist ensnared by golf

Perfect round? Hit every green in regulation or shoot even par.

I play many great rounds throughout the year when the conditions, company and my play is excellent, but I wouldn't call any of them "perfect".

The coach was the patriarch of a golfing family. One son played division 1 and was on the tour for a while, another son played at least community college level, maybe more but I lost track. The wife and daughter played as well, and they were a formidable team in any kind of family scramble.

One afternoon the rain had run most everyone away, but I hung around because it was my only day off, and I wanted to play a few more if I could. The showers ended without too much effect on the course, and I asked the coach if he wanted to play a few. We played 9 holes for a buck a hole. At the time, though unofficial, I probably played to around a 10-12 index; he was at least a couple better. Of course we played level.  We both shot 38 and I won a dollar. 

Another group I once frequented played for a quarter a hole but you had to at least have bogey, fifty cents for pars, and a dollar for birdies. Dollar on the front, back, and total stroke scores, and dollar greenie on every par three. Usually one or two groups of four, and every man for himself. It was rare that a net $10 changed hands.

I am not a big gambler, nothing more than the stakes above, but it does give an additional little needle among good friends, and the good friends are the most important component. I enjoy the solitude of the occasional solo foray, but a nice day with good friends is as good as it gets.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Here's what comes to mind:

A nice course (gotta be a bit better than the muni's I play). A gorgeous day. Partly cloudy, 70s or so. A couple or few foursomes worth of friends there- some who are good at golf, and perhaps some who totally suck. Some scramble up to the course right as we're about to tee off, but most are there reminiscing about old times as we warm up on the range or whatever.

Then I feel comfortable over every shot, and pretty much hit every shot solidly. Doesn't mean every fairway or every green- but I've gotta make 18 nGIRs- definitely. No thin shots either- all nice gentle draws!

That puts me at about 9 pars, 9 bogeys- maybe a bit better if I get the breaks. No three-putts! No duffs around the green. A reasonable shot at par for every hole- let's say nothing outside 20ft.

Then it's beers and burgers in the clubhouse, and no hurry to get anywhere in particular.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I'll echo a lot of what has been said here about a great round of golf with your friends, beautiful day without any other worries or thoughts.  Very rare that it happens that way.  I've had a few rounds where I was completely in the zone and had no thoughts other than aiming and swinging.  Still remember those like it was yesterday.

With that said, I'll leave this here.  Something I'll still read from time to time.  :-)

cvr9780684803647_9780684803647_hr.jpg

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

On 2/4/2017 at 5:50 PM, sjduffers said:

I think an 18 under par (e.g. 1 birdie per hole) would be the textbook definition

I started with 100% Fairways hit and 100% GIR and 2 (or less putts) - ie. played every hole as intended without any true play errors.

But I was close to this definition as 'perfect play' - not only is every hole played without error (my definition), but this takes it to the next level where every 'shot' is done ideally.  i.e., not only do we hit the fairway, but it's placed where it needs to be for the optimal approach (or layup on a 5) - not only do we hit every green, but it's also placed close enough that each GIR is also a legit birdie opportunity - and then we have to make that putt rather than take 2.........

Probably you have the more true definition if we are using the word 'perfect' (without going into the extreme example of each shot landing precisely on the exact blade of grass we chose).  Where I was just going as a minimum standard being every hole played as designed or better (no scrambling, never hitting from the rough).

Bill - 

43 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Probably you have the more true definition if we are using the word 'perfect' .  Where I was just going as a minimum standard being every hole played as designed or better (no scrambling, never hitting from the rough).

True dat. To push it further, great golfers can usually get on a par 5 green in two shots, so they could get another 4 shots by making eagles on the typical 4 par 5s of your average par 72 course, for a total of 22 under par, so the ideal (ie most perfect) round would be 50 on a par 72! ;-) :beer:

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

So far it seems  defining what is a perfect round of golf has different meanings to most of us. I find it hard to define what my perfect round would be. Is it conditions, length or play, people you play with or shooting an exceptional round of golf? I think a perfect round of golf for me could never be reachable.  But a great day on the course would be in the 70* range with sun. Shooting my age and having my group also shooting there best scores. Time of play under 3 1/2 hours with the group ahead and behind moving along at the same pace. The last one I would expect is a beautiful tree lined course similar to those built pre 70's in the northeast part of our country. 

It's a great question. For me, a really competitive four-ball game with close friends going down to the last on a great course, with everyone having played well and contributed. Personally, I'd want to have driven well (not necessarily every fairway, but had a good day) and hit good iron shots. Essentially, no really bad shots - duffs, hooks/slices. With the putter, I'd want to have made a number of good putts, but not necessarily every putt. I think for me, perfect is far more about the feeling I'd associate with the round than the actual numbers. Sure, -10 in a competition would be phenomenal, but I wouldn't feel as good.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Note: This thread is 2595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!