IGNORED

Oddest, Unique, Unusual Rules Situation

bkuehn1952
Note:Β This thread is 2584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

In a tournament setting, what is the most unusual/odd/strange Rules situation have you found yourself? Β My typical advice to a first time or novice tournament player is learn the basics. Β Frankly, it is rare to have to deal with anything much more complex than a water hazard or O.B.

Mine was in a match where my opponent pulled a drive over a pond, hit a tree which bounced back into the hazard. He prepared to drop on the near side, allowing him a clear shot to the green. I pointed out that his ball cleared the hazard and last crossed on the opposite side. Β That spot, when lined up with the flag, was well blocked by trees.Β 

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

In a tournament setting, what is the most unusual/odd/strange Rules situation have you found yourself? Β My typical advice to a first time or novice tournament player is learn the basics. Β Frankly, it is rare to have to deal with anything much more complex than a water hazard or O.B.

Mine was in a match where my opponent pulled a drive over a pond, hit a tree which bounced back into the hazard. He prepared to drop on the near side, allowing him a clear shot to the green. I pointed out that his ball cleared the hazard and last crossed on the opposite side. Β That spot, when lined up with the flag, was well blocked by trees.Β 

He was right, see 26-1c. Not that unusual, really.

6 minutes ago, Martyn W said:

He was right, see 26-1c. Not that unusual, really.

Good point but in this instance itΒ was a water hazard and not a lateral water hazard. Β I believe the option to drop on the opposite side (equidistant) is reserved for lateral water hazards.

Brian Kuehn

1 minute ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Good point but in this instance itΒ was a water hazard and not a lateral water hazard. Β I believe the option to drop on the opposite side (equidistant) is reserved for lateral water hazards.

Pretty unusual for a WH to have an opposite margin. I can't picture your scenario but it sounds like it was a LWH since he 'pulled a ball over a pond'.

Hole #3, maximum of two putt. The reason being the Ohio Open was played at the course that year. We had a drought and the tournament was around the time of the Ohio Open. This particular green was severe to the point it was unfair to play. Years later they built another green complex off to the side to replace that green.Β 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

19 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Β 

Mine was in a match where my opponent pulled a drive over a pond, hit a tree which bounced back into the hazard.Β 

Does this match the situation?

Β 

Β 

teewater.jpg

1 hour ago, Rulesman said:

Does this match the situation?

Β 

Β 

teewater.jpg

That's what I was imagining too. There are several holesΒ I play where a similar situation could occur (some just due to slopes on the far side, others due to trees), and I don't think any are marked as lateral.

- John

If it is a yellow hazard, then the drop would be over on the far side. Β If the sketch is close to the real situation, then part of the hazard should/could be marked red.

When/if the new rules come out, this should be mostly irrelevant. Β This is one complication that shouldn't exist any more.Β 

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

A player hit his tee shot into some trees after which I went to this area and asked if he wanted help looking for his ball. I found a TMP 3, which is the same kind as he said that he hit.Β  He chipped the ball out, hit his approach shot to the green and then called me.Β  The ball was not his. I sent him back to the tee to start over again, with a 1 stroke for the lost ball and 2 strokes for the wrong ball.

My two mistakes:Β  (1) I did not give him the unused portion of the 5 minutes to continue search for the original ball.Β 

(2) I was unaware that and did not ask if he had hit a provisional ball.Β  He had and had actually picked it up.

Consequently, he incurred an additional penalty for picking up the provisional ball and so would have hit stroke 8 from the tee.

Decisions 27-2b/10 covers this scenario.Β 

Β 

Β 

Here is the best one that I've run across:

A right handed player pulls his approach left of the green and his ball is resting about 2 inches from a tree, his only swing to advance the ball is to play left handed. However when he takes his stance to play left handed he is standing on a cart path.
So he gets relief from the cart path, plays the shot right handed and gets up & down.

• Upvote 1

Players play, tough players win!

And, Wally, as you know, so long as hisΒ nearest point of relief was properly determined,Β that's legitimate. D24-2b/17.

"Age improves with wine."
Β 
Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

• 4 weeks later...

The most unique one I have encountered was playing on a course with a short par 4 dogleg right.Β  I step up and cut the corner putting the ball on the back fringe.Β  After the group realizes what I did they tell me it's an illegal shot and that I have to re-tee and hit 3.Β  I argue the point for a while but all they would say is local rule says you can't cut the corner.Β  No local rules were discussed prior to start but I was a long ways from home and it wasn't worth it.Β  How should this be handled or what could I have done different sans asking for every "local rule" be read prior to start.

4 hours ago, bpburner said:

The most unique one I have encountered was playing on a course with a short par 4 dogleg right.Β  I step up and cut the corner putting the ball on the back fringe.Β  After the group realizes what I did they tell me it's an illegal shot and that I have to re-tee and hit 3.Β  I argue the point for a while but all they would say is local rule says you can't cut the corner.Β  No local rules were discussed prior to start but I was a long ways from home and it wasn't worth it.Β  How should this be handled or what could I have done different sans asking for every "local rule" be read prior to start.

Such a 'local rule' would not conform to the USGA and R&A's requirements. ie would not be approved or authorised

Edited by Rulesman

10 hours ago, bpburner said:

In a tournament, you'd get a local rules sheet. Β For casual play, local rules are usually listed on the scorecard. Β If its not written, its not in effect.

6 hours ago, Rulesman said:

Such a 'local rule' would not conform to the USGA and R&A's requirements. ie would not be approved or authorised

Even though not acceptable by the ruling bodies, sometimes rules of this type are used, primarily for safety reasons. Β If its in effect for a specific event, a player is probably better off playing in accordance with the local rule, rather than trying to argue the point after breaking it.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

35 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

In a tournament, you'd get a local rules sheet. Β For casual play, local rules are usually listed on the scorecard. Β If its not written, its not in effect.

Even though not acceptable by the ruling bodies, sometimes rules of this type are used, primarily for safety reasons. Β If its in effect for a specific event, a player is probably better off playing in accordance with the local rule, rather than trying to argue the point after breaking it.

I've seen a few instances where a course has such a policy in effect for general play in the interest of safety and pace of play. Β When you have one guy in a group waiting for the green to clear on a short par 4, it can really create a bottleneck. Β If the rest of the group isn't long enough to cut the corner,Β that one guy makesΒ the whole lot stand and wait, which usually means that the following group is already at the tee waiting by the time your group heads up the fairway. Β Put one of those guys in every second or third group and it just makes a mess of that hole. Β Then too, sometimes the green can't be seen from the tee, so player safety is a significant factor in such a policy.

It may not be allowed underΒ the rules, but that doesn't stop some courses from making such a policy and enforcing it for casual play.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Not in tournament, just a normal round.Β  We come to a hole where a tree service was cleaning up an area after removing a tree from the corner of a dogleg L hole.Β  Guy in our group hits his ball and it comes to rest 2' up the tree stump in a large vine wrapped around the tree which was now gone.

He wanted a free drop due to work being done ON the course and cited 'ground under repair.'Β  In fact, there was a can of red spray pain that was to be (and 'to be' is the operating phrase here) used after cleanup and before the stump was actually removed.Β  The course has hundreds of old-growth oaks, maples, etc.Β  Some die and they are taken out immediately and in similar fashion.Β  After further inspection of site, the red paint hadn't been applied to the area.

As good friends would do to another, we busted his chops giving him the 'play it where it lies, or take an unplayable penalty' decision.Β  Finally, he took a whack at it, dislodged it from its resting place between the inch-thick vine and the stump and put it back into play.

Of course, we let him know he could have dropped it on his line back to the tee without penalty in our game!Β  He wasn't happy with us but wouldn't have had a shot on a 'free drop' anyway.

It's just fun to mess with your boys when something ridiculous happens on the golf course!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I know you asked about tourney situations, but I have just have to chime in.

Shortly after joining this forum I asked a question about a particular situation a playing partner encountered. He hit his ball into the front left bunker on a short part 3. His ball came to rest against the maggot riddled carcass of a dead squirrel that was surrounded by a cloud of blowflies!

I allowed him to drop somewhere else in the bunker and play from there with no penalty. After all, how was he responsible for the carcass in the bunker? And I couldn't blame him for not wanting to get anywhere near the ball that rested against it! So, he abandoned that ball, played another, and we bitched like Hell when we got back to the clubhouse!

But here, I was informed that he should have been assessed a penalty! HUH!? How anal is that?!

Note:Β This thread is 2584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!