IGNORED

USGA/R&A Introduce "Modernized" Rules

iacas
Note: This thread is 2199 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 minutes ago, dsc123 said:

Are we allowed to adopt some of these rules in our current play, and still report the rounds for handicap purposes? 

I hope @iacas will weigh in on this too, but I believe you should play under the currently valid rules if you want to post your scores.  I think these revised rules are out there for review and comment, but are not in effect at this time.  For the most part, these revised rules will tend to reduce or eliminate some penalties, tending to lower scores a little.  We all want our handicaps to go down, as an indication of improving skill.  But I don't want my handicap to go down because I'm playing under "easier" rules than the rest of the competitive community, that puts me at a disadvantage when I compete against those other guys.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, dsc123 said:

Are we allowed to adopt some of these rules in our current play, and still report the rounds for handicap purposes? 

No.

Though the Newport Cup may be played under some of these Rules. Assuming there's an actual "book" of them by then. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, DaveP043 said:

I hope @iacas will weigh in on this too, but I believe you should play under the currently valid rules if you want to post your scores.  I think these revised rules are out there for review and comment, but are not in effect at this time.  For the most part, these revised rules will tend to reduce or eliminate some penalties, tending to lower scores a little.  We all want our handicaps to go down, as an indication of improving skill.  But I don't want my handicap to go down because I'm playing under "easier" rules than the rest of the competitive community, that puts me at a disadvantage when I compete against those other guys.

I'm sure you're right. 

It'll just be kind of frustrating when I hit one into the trees, can't find it, really want to play it as a lateral, and now know that the rules may soon allow it.....but not today.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Just now, dsc123 said:

I'm sure you're right. 

It'll just be kind of frustrating when I hit one into the trees, can't find it, really want to play it as a lateral, and now know that the rules may soon allow it.....but not today.

Kinda like the olden days, before premarital sex was so commonly accepted....you KNOW you'll get to _______ soon, but not tonight.  :-P

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

List of all the proposed rules.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/test-item-graphics/

The USGA and R&A announced a series of proposed changes to the Rules of Golf, which would take effect in 2019. Here's a complete list of the topics addressed, including what the new rule would be and what the current rule is.

BALL AT REST: Topics Description of change
Player accidentally moves his or her ball during search

New rule: No penalty.

Current rule: 1-stroke penalty.
Player accidentally moves his or her ball or ball-marker on the putting green

Current rule: 1-stroke penalty (with exceptions).

Standard for deciding whether the player caused his or her ball to move

New rule: The player will be found to be the cause only when it is known or virtually certain (meaning at least 95%) to be the case.

Current rule: Weight of the evidence/more likely than not.
How to replace a ball lying off the putting green when it moves and its exact original spot isn’t known

New rule: Replace the ball on its estimated spot; if that spot was on, under or against attached natural objects, replace the ball on that spot on, under or against those objects.

Current rule: Drop the ball as near as possible to the estimated spot.
BALL IN MOTION: Topic Description of change
Player’s ball in motion accidentally hits the player, his or her caddie, the person attending the flagstick or the attended or removed flagstick 

Current rule: 1-stroke penalty (expect it is a 2-stroke penalty when the accidental deflection relates to the flagstick or the attendant).

TAKING RELIEF: Topics Description of change
Where a ball must be dropped 

New rule:  Drop in a defined relief area.

Current rule: Sometimes the drop is in a specified area, sometimes it is on or as near as possible to a spot or a line.

Where a dropped ball must come to rest

New rule: The ball must come to rest in the relief area where it was dropped, or else the ball must be re-dropped.

Current rule: The ball must be re-dropped if it rolls to any of the nine specified areas (Rule 20-2c), such as rolling more than 2 club-lengths from where the dropped ball struck the ground.

Measuring the size of the relief area where a ball must be dropped and played

New rule: The relief area is measured by a fixed distance of 20 inches or 80 inches from the reference point or the reference line;this can readily be measured by using markings on the shaft of a club.

Current rule: Measured by using 1 or 2 club-lengths (with any length club the player chooses).

How to drop a ball

New rule: The only requirement is for the player to hold the ball above the ground without it touching any growing thing or other natural or artificial object, and let it go so that it falls through the air before coming to rest; to avoid any doubt, it is recommended that the ball be dropped from at least one inch above the ground or any growing thing or object.

Current rule: Stand erect, hold the ball at shoulder height and arm’s length.

Time allowed for a ball search

New rule: A ball is lost if not found in three minutes.

Current rule: A ball is lost if not found in five minutes.

Substituting ball

New rule: A player may always substitute a ball when taking relief.

Current rule: The player must use the original ball when taking free relief (with exceptions); a substituted ball is allowed only when taking penalty relief.

Embedded ball

New rule: A player may take relief without penalty for an embedded ball anywhere (except in sand) in the “general area” (new term for “through the green”), unless a Local Rule has been adopted restricting relief only to areas cut to fairway height or less.

Current rule: Relief is allowed only in areas cut to fairway height or less, unless a Local Rule has been adopted allowing relief anywhere (except in sand) through the green.

AREAS OF THE COURSE: Topics Description of change
Replacing a ball on the putting green when it moves from its spot after it already had been lifted and replaced 

New rule: The ball must always be replaced on its original spot, even if it was blown by the wind or moved for no clear reason.

Current rule: The ball is replaced only if a player or outside agency caused it to move; otherwise, the ball is played from its new location.

Repairing damage on the putting green

New rule: A player may repair almost any damage (including spike marks and animal damage but not including natural imperfections) on the putting green.

Current rule: A player may only repair ball-marks or old hole plugs on the putting green.

Player touches the line of putt or touches the putting green in pointing out a target 

New rule: No penalty, so long as doing so does not improve the conditions for the player’s stroke.

Current rule: Loss of hole/2-stroke penalty (with exceptions).

Putting with an unattended flagstick left in the hole 

New rule: No penalty if a ball played from the putting green (or anywhere else) hits the unattended flagstick in hole.

Current rule: Loss of hole/2-stroke penalty if the ball is played from the putting green and hits the unattended flagstick in hole.

Areas the Committee may mark as a penalty area (where relief with 1-stroke penalty is allowed)

New rule: Red- and yellow-marked “penalty areas” may now cover areas of desert, jungle, lava rock, etc., in addition to areas of water.

Current rule: Relief is allowed only from “water hazards.”

Player moves loose impediments, touches the ground with hand or club or grounds the club in a penalty area when the ball is in the penalty area

Expanded use of red-marked penalty areas

New rule: Committees are given the discretion to mark all penalty areas as red so that lateral relief is always allowed (but they may still mark penalty areas as yellow where they consider it appropriate).

Current rule: All water hazards should be marked yellow, except where their location on the course makes it impossible or unreasonable to drop behind the hazard; only when this is the case may these water hazards be marked red as lateral water hazards.

Elimination of the opposite side relief option for red penalty areas

New rule: A player is no longer allowed to take relief from a red penalty area on the opposite side from where the ball last entered that penalty area, unless the Committee adopts a Local Rule allowing it.

Current rule: A player is always allowed to take relief from the opposite side of a red-marked lateral water hazard.

Player moves or touches a loose impediment in a bunker when the ball is in the bunker

Player touches sand in a bunker with his or her hand or a club when the ball is in the bunker 

New rule: No penalty except when a player touches sand (1) with his or her hand or club to test the conditions of the bunker or (2) with the club in the area right behind or in front of the ball, in making a practice swing or in making the backswing for the stroke.

Current rule: Any touching of sand with hand or club results in loss of hole/2-stroke penalty (with exceptions).

Unplayable ball relief options 

New rule:  A player may take relief outside the bunker back on a line from the hole through where ball was at rest for 2 penalty strokes.

Current rule: No relief outside the bunker (other than in playing from where the player’s last stroke was made).

EQUIPMENT: Topics Description of change
Use of clubs damaged during round

New rule: A player may keep using any damaged club, even if the player damaged it in anger.

Current rule: A player may use the damaged club only if it was damaged in the “normal course of play.”

Adding clubs to replace a club damaged during round

New rule: A player may not replace a damaged club, unless the player was not responsible for the damage.

Current rule: A player may replace a damaged club if it is “unfit for play” and was damaged in the “normal course of play.”

Use of distance-measuring devices (DMDs)

New rule: The use of DMDs is allowed, unless a Local Rule has been adopted prohibiting their use.

Current rule: DMD use is prohibited, unless a Local Rule has been adopted allowing their use.

PLAYING A BALL: Topics Description of change
Caddie standing behind a player to help with that player’s alignment

New rule: A caddie is not allowed to stand on a line behind a player while the player is taking his or her stance and until stroke is made.

Current rule: A caddie is allowed to stand on a line behind a player while the player is taking a stance and preparing to play, but must not stand there while the player makes the stroke. 

Caddie lifts and replaces the player’s ball on the putting green

New rule: A caddie may lift and replace the player’s ball on the putting green without the player’s specific authorization to do so.

Current rule: 1-stroke penalty if done without the player’s specific authorization.

WHEN TO PLAY DURING ROUND: Topics Description of change
Recommendations on how to play promptly

New rule: Recommends that players make each stroke in no more than 40 seconds, and usually in less time.

Current rule: No recommendations are given.

Playing out of turn in stroke play 

New rule: No penalty (as today), and “ready golf” is encouraged when it can be done in a safe and responsible way.

Current rule: No penalty, but the current Rule is written in a way that may imply that playing out of turn is wrong or is not allowed.

Other changes to help pace of play  Other new rules: Simplified dropping rules, allowing more areas to be marked as penalty areas, expanded use of red penalty areas and allowing a player to putt with the flagstick in the hole.
New alternative form of stroke play

New rule: A new “Maximum Score” form of stroke play is recognized, where a player’s score for a hole is capped at a maximum score (such as double par or triple bogey) that is set by the Committee.

Current rule: In standard individual stroke play, players must hole out at every hole; the only recognized alternative forms of stroke play where holing out is not required are Stableford, Par and Bogey.

PLAYER BEHAVIOR: Topics Description of change
Playing in the spirit of the game 

New rule: Explains and reinforces the high standards of conduct expected from players and gives a Committee discretion to disqualify players for serious misconduct.

Current rule: The Rules set out no standards of conduct, except indirectly in giving Committees discretion to disqualify players for a serious breach of etiquette.

Code of player conduct

New rule: Committees are given authority to adopt their own code of player conduct and to set penalties for the breach of the standards in that code.

Current rule: Committees may disqualify players for a serious breach of etiquette, but are not allowed to impose lesser penalties such as a 1-stroke penalty or a loss of hole/2-stroke penalty.

Eliminating announcement requirements before lifting a ball under certain Rules

New rule: When a player has good reason to mark and lift a ball to identify it, check for damage or see if it lies in a condition where relief is allowed (such as to see whether it is embedded), the player is no longer required first to announce to another player or his or her marker the intent to do so or to give that person an opportunity to observe the process.

Current rule: Before lifting in these cases, the player must announce to another player or the marker that he or she is doing so and allow that person to observe the process.

Player’s reasonable judgment in estimating and measuring under a Rule 

New rule: When estimating or measuring a spot, point, line, area or distance under a Rule, a player’s reasonable judgment will not be second-guessed based on later evidence (such as video review) if the player did all that could be reasonably expected under the circumstances to make an accurate estimation or measurement.

Current rule: A player’s judgment is given no particular weight or deference; the Committee decides any issue about the accuracy of the estimation or measurement based on a review of all facts.

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Damn, what a great day to read all these proposals.

Unfortunately I have projects that need attention.

Has anyone looked at the survey? Survey is lower if interested.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Looking a little far ahead, but can only imagine what the 2019 PGA Tour/European Tour tournament telecasts will be like, hope the rule changes won't take away more time from showing golf shots.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I haven't had time to do much more than skim some of the proposed changes, but the impression I'm getting so far is that I like some of the changes for everyday golfers, but I generally don't like the changes as they relate to tournament play.

If this is the way the USGA and R&A want to go, I think bifurcation, or at least a simplified rule book for casual play that is expanded for competition, is probably inevitable.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

I haven't had time to do much more than skim some of the proposed changes, but the impression I'm getting so far is that I like some of the changes for everyday golfers, but I generally don't like the changes as they relate to tournament play.

If this is the way the USGA and R&A want to go, I think bifurcation, or at least a simplified rule book for casual play that is expanded for competition, is probably inevitable.

On what basis?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My. $0.02 worth has already been stated by several other posters. No need to rehash that. I will just say this seems like a step in the right direction to bring some of the rules in line with with today's game. I just wish the the 14 club rule would have been changed to 15 clubs. :whistle:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Looks like the rule against solo play for posting handicapping scores is still going to be in effect.

Bummer, I usually play solo, or as a walk-on and get put with an existing group, and when with an existing group I have never had any of them validate or sign my scorecard.  Oh well....

It will be interesting to see how this all evolves over the next couple of years.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, treebound said:

Looks like the rule against solo play for posting handicapping scores is still going to be in effect.

Of course… that's not a Rule of Golf. It's a handicapping rule. And the "World Handicap System" is still on the horizon. In the R&A territories it's often tournament play only, so… this is the middle ground.

There are other topics for that, too.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, treebound said:

Bummer, I usually play solo, or as a walk-on and get put with an existing group, and when with an existing group I have never had any of them validate or sign my scorecard.  Oh well....

It will be interesting to see how this all evolves over the next couple of years.

Handicap rules are basically separate from the rules of the game, so none of the posting requirements will necessarily change.  You should remember that under the USGA system you don't need someone to sign your card or otherwise validate your score, its your responsibility to post it.  In fact, the Handicap Committee isn't allowed to require submission of signed scorecards on a routine basis (See decision 5-2a/3 in the handicap manual  http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/Handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!decision-14379)

As has been said in some of the other threads about handicaps, there's a movement to unify all of the handicap systems around the world.  We're like to see lots of changes over the next few years, as we....and I just noticed that @iacas stole my thunder here.

Dave

Thunder is a shared experience when playing a round of golf, so thank you to both of you.

And thanks for the link to that posting thread, interesting results in the survey.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

1 hour ago, iacas said:

No.

Though the Newport Cup may be played under some of these Rules. Assuming there's an actual "book" of them by then. :-)

There is a PDF that can be printed.  I'd be surprised if they publish a book until the new format is approved.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Fourputt said:

There is a PDF that can be printed.  I'd be surprised if they publish a book until the new format is approved.

Where? I haven't seen it yet. Admittedly I've only looked for a few seconds at a time.

And yeah, that's why I put "book" in quotes. Right now all I've seen is the list of changes, not a cohesive whole.

How much shorter is the PDF than the rules now?

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Where? I haven't seen it yet. Admittedly I've only looked for a few seconds at a time.

And yeah, that's why I put "book" in quotes. Right now all I've seen is the list of changes, not a cohesive whole.

How much shorter is the PDF than the rules now?

Rules proposal PDF  It has the definitions and 24 rules.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

6 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Rules proposal PDF  It has the definitions and 24 rules.

All in 159 short pages.

There's also this "Players Edition", condensed to 115 pages

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2017/rules-modernization/players-edition.pdf

• Upvote 1

Dave

Note: This thread is 2199 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!