Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iacas

USGA/R&A Introduce "Modernized" Rules

228 posts / 24881 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

All in 159 short pages.

There's also this "Players Edition", condensed to 115 pages

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2017/rules-modernization/players-edition.pdf

THANK YOU.

Been running around like a chicken with its head cut off to this point. Haven't had a chance to visit and explore the rest of the USGA microsite for this.

Most of the PGA Tour pros like them.

I heard Daniel Berger didn't like the touching the line of your putt thing. Thought people might make a trough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Just now, iacas said:

THANK YOU.

Been running around like a chicken with its head cut off to this point. Haven't had a chance to visit and explore the rest of the USGA microsite for this.

I stumbled on the Players Edition while taking the USGA survey.  They also have a 5-page sample showing the potential look of the final rules, including illustrations.

http://www.usga.org/rules-hub/rules-modernization/modernizing-golf-s-rules--sample.html#expanded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

THANK YOU.

Been running around like a chicken with its head cut off to this point. Haven't had a chance to visit and explore the rest of the USGA microsite for this.

Most of the PGA Tour pros like them.

I heard Daniel Berger didn't like the touching the line of your putt thing. Thought people might make a trough.

Tiger - "Now please stop following me 100% of the time with high speed cameras!" :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess some of these new rules will speed up play a little but I don't see them making that much of an impact. I really like the ready golf rule but it remains to be seen how effective it will be at the average golf course. It will speed up the play on the tour some but I don't think it will have a HUGE impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I kind of like the flagstick rule, but at the same time i feel like that makes the game easier just by allowing players to have something bigger than a hole to aim at.

 

Also, no minimum drop distance??? I can drop from 2 inches off the ground?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Or one inch. Yes.

I feel like that's basically the same as placing the ball, though it is still 'random' since it's dropped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

I feel like that's basically the same as placing the ball, though it is still 'random' since it's dropped.

It's different from placing int that you won't be able to just perch the ball up on a couple of blades of grass to tee it up.  Even from just an inch, the ball will settle at least a bit.  The best benefit I see from this is when dropping in a bunker - you won't automatically get that fried egg lie that you get after dropping in a bunker from shoulder height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

It's different from placing int that you won't be able to just perch the ball up on a couple of blades of grass to tee it up.  Even from just an inch, the ball will settle at least a bit.  The best benefit I see from this is when dropping in a bunker - you won't automatically get that fried egg lie that you get after dropping in a bunker from shoulder height.

You can even roll the ball if you want (in a bunker I'm talking of specifically, but anywhere, of course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rolling the ball just seems unfair, could you roll the ball down a hill and back into the fairway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

Rolling the ball just seems unfair, could you roll the ball down a hill and back into the fairway?

Unfair? Come on. Golf is hard. (Borrowed from LSW, Erik Barzeski where full credit is due for such a perfect description of this game in a most simplistic form.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

Rolling the ball just seems unfair, could you roll the ball down a hill and back into the fairway?

If I'm reading it right, the ball must both hit the ground and come to rest within the measured dropping area.  So no, you can't roll it into the fairway unless that is part of the dropping area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

39 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

Rolling the ball just seems unfair, could you roll the ball down a hill and back into the fairway?

So…

14 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

If I'm reading it right, the ball must both hit the ground and come to rest within the measured dropping area.  So no, you can't roll it into the fairway unless that is part of the dropping area.

Right.

In a bunker, if you are forced to drop say in that 40" wide "street" back on a line, you could roll it forward toward the hole. It would both hit and stay in the area.

Or drop from an inch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like all these and they seem to be simpler and more trusting.

I gigged a little at repairing the green allowances.  I absolutely agree we should be able to do it, but I wonder a bit at how retentive some people might be about it, especially on long putts and how much time they'll chew up....But then I realize I'm second guessing others instead of just gut checking how it works for me - and I stopped being that guy.

 

But I also am someone that thinks having to mark a ball postion to just roll it over to check a mark, or even for moving into the new drop area is a bit retentive too.  eye-balling it is fine IMO, especially if I trust myself to do it, I can't make the argument of "well, I'd do it right, but I don't trust others" - I don't like that argument much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, rehmwa said:

I gigged a little at repairing the green allowances.  I absolutely agree we should be able to do it, but I wonder a bit at how retentive some people might be about it, especially on long putts and how much time they'll chew up....But then I realize I'm second guessing others instead of just gut checking how it works for me - and I stopped being that guy.

They still have to play their putt within about 40 seconds, I think. So they can't do too much gardening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, mvmac said:

List of all the proposed rules.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/test-item-graphics/

The USGA and R&A announced a series of proposed changes to the Rules of Golf, which would take effect in 2019. Here's a complete list of the topics addressed, including what the new rule would be and what the current rule is.

This is a great summary of all the changes, very readable and nice that they included the old vs. the proposed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...