IGNORED

Time Machine for a Sporting and Historical Event

iacas
Note: This thread is 2582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Great question! I'll have to think about this one for a while.

A couple of provisos. Make sure you have your time machine in the location where the event takes place, since time machines travel through time, but not through space!

Also, avoid time travel paradoxes. As iacas said you are an observer only! If you were able to interfere in, and cancel, a past event there would be no reason in the present for you to go back and observe it.

An H. G. Wells fan like me!

For sports, there are many, but possibly: Tinkers to Evers to Chance, the first Triple Play or Jim Thorpe and his total domination of the Decathlon. 

For history, The Chicxulub event 65 million years ago would be cool, from space :-P. Or Krakatoa. Disasters are cool. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, boogielicious said:

An H. G. Wells fan like me!

For sports, there are many, but possibly: Tinkers to Evers to Chance, the first Triple Play or Jim Thorpe and his total domination of the Decathlon. 

For history, The Chicxulub event 65 million years ago would be cool, from space :-P. Or Krakatoa. Disasters are cool. 

I'd have to agree. Disasters are kind of cool. It would be interesting to see the eruption of the Yellowstone super volcano. Or Krakatoa. Or the eruption of the Thera volcano at modern day Santorini in Minoan Greece which, according to some historians, may have led to the withdrawal of enough water from the "Sea of Reeds" (NOT the "Red Sea") that allowed the Israelites to cross out of Egypt, and caused the returning tidal wave that wiped out Pharaoh's army!

Heck, it would be interesting to go all the way back to second 1 and see how the universe was born. But, how would you place the machine?

7 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I'd have to agree. Disasters are kind of cool. It would be interesting to see the eruption of the Yellowstone super volcano. Or Krakatoa. Or the eruption of the Thera volcano at modern day Santorini in Minoan Greece which, according to some historians, may have led to the withdrawal of enough water from the "Sea of Reeds" (NOT the "Red Sea") that allowed the Israelites to cross out of Egypt, and caused the returning tidal wave that wiped out Pharaoh's army!

Heck, it would be interesting to go all the way back to second 1 and see how the universe was born. But, how would you place the machine?

I forgot about Thera. That would be a good one too. From a safe distance!

Scott

My Swing Thread

Good thoughts here.  Very hard for me for sporting but I would have to choose between the 86 Masters and the Miracle on Ice.  I'm not the biggest hockey fan at all but that was one of the most unbelievable moments in sporting history with very few people that were actually in attendance.  That might get the nod.

Historical event?  Man...might have to be the days around and during the Crucifixion.  I'm not the most devout christian in the world but to think of how history and religions have been changed and developed because of this moment it's hard not to want to be there to watch the event, see how it unfolded and how it matches with recorded history.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I originally said Joe Louis vs Max Schmeling, and the Battle of Gaugemela, but I would like to add a few historical events. 

I'd like to see Beethoven himself in concert.   He was not only a great composer, he originally made his name as a concert pianist, perhaps the best of his generation.   So to see him play one of his own concertos, before he went deaf and couldn't play anymore, would be incredible for me.  

And another thing would be to see the Battle of Waterloo.   The British had been so severely mauled by the French that Wellington had given some thought to withdrawal, when late in the day, the Prussian army arrived on the French right flank, turning the tide of the battle.  To see the moment when Wellington ordered his entire army forward, and every man in the British army must have realized that they were going to win, well that must have been a hell of a moment.  Because the men must have realized there was only one reason they would be ordered forward, and that was, they had won. 

Edited by Marty2019

10 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Disasters are kind of cool. It would be interesting to see the eruption of the Yellowstone super volcano.

Assuming that I wouldn't die, I think witnessing the eruption that created Crater Lake would be amazing.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

For sporting event, I'd relive the Miracle on Ice, and if the owner of the time machine would allow, the entire 1980 Olympic hockey event.  I'd love to immerse myself again in the atmosphere of 1980 too, which played as much into the event as the actual sport. Possibly a part of what shaped my decision to later join the US Navy.

For historical event, I'd love to be a fly on the ... well, not wall... but a fly buzzing around the combat areas of the Battle of Midway. Just 6 or 7 months after being devastated at Pearl Harbor, the US Navy turns the tide and wins a stunning and decisive blow. I'd love to see how some of the decisions were made on both sides, and to see what information each side was acting upon at the time they made their choices.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

10 minutes ago, RandallT said:

For historical event, I'd love to be a fly on the ... well, not wall... but a fly buzzing around the combat areas of the Battle of Midway. Just 6 or 7 months after being devastated at Pearl Harbor, the US Navy turns the tide and wins a stunning and decisive blow. I'd love to see how some of the decisions were made on both sides, and to see what information each side was acting upon at the time they made their choices.

That's a good one.  I'd like to see the five minutes when US Navy dive bombers sunk 3 Japanese aircraft carriers.  

This covers both for me:  Game 3 of the 2001 World Series at Yankee Stadium where President George W. Bush fired a perfect 1st-pitch strike from the rubber.

Sporting event-wise, I would have loved to be a part of the atmosphere in the stadium that night, and heard Jeter tell him "Don't bounce it...they'll boo you." History-wise, I believe that was one of the biggest "We're gonna be alright" moments we'll ever see.

Outside of sports (to cover all bases), I'd go back to Lexington & Concord in 1775 for the "Shot heard 'round the World."  

- Bill

Sports: 97' Masters. I think it is the epitome of not only meeting but surpassing the weight of expectations on all counts by a mind boggling margin....Just ridiculous. I think he altered the collective psyche of an entire generation in a span of couple of days.  

History: Sorry but I have two:

1) A day in the court of Emperor Akbar in the late 1500s: A great unifier of races, a complete ruler and developer of what would seem like the present day secular civic and organized military systems. He was about 500 years ahead of his time. Getting to witness the unfiltered grandeur would be a plus..

2) Witnessing of the signing of the constitution: The relevance holds strong to this day. I cannot imagine penning anything let alone a governing document that can transcend across a few centuries.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

On 3/20/2017 at 8:21 PM, jamo said:

Non-sports: still thinking on this one. 

I think I'm gonna go with the moon landing. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

9 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Sports: 97' Masters. I think it is the epitome of not only meeting but surpassing the weight of expectations on all counts by a mind boggling margin....Just ridiculous. I think he altered the collective psyche of an entire generation in a span of couple of days.  

History: Sorry but I have two:

1) A day in the court of Emperor Akbar in the late 1500s: A great unifier of races, a complete ruler and developer of what would seem like the present day secular civic and organized military systems. He was about 500 years ahead of his time. Getting to witness the unfiltered grandeur would be a plus..

2) Witnessing of the signing of the constitution: The relevance holds strong to this day. I cannot imagine penning anything let alone a governing document that can transcend across a few centuries.

Good ones! I think I would like to witness something that happened outside the span of my lifetime.I might like to go back and watch Christ at the Sermon on the Mount, or his chastisement of the merchants in the Temple, or the Last Supper. I'd like to know, firsthand, whether Christ was more political activist, religious activist, or spiritualist.

Sporting event: 1960 U.S. Open at Cherry Hills. Would be awesome to see Palmer, Nicklaus and Hogan all in the hunt at the same time. And I definitely want to see Palmer drive the green on the first hole in the last round after Bob Drum pissed him off.

Historical Event: This was a tough one. I'd be interested to see the behind the scenes discussions/events during the creation of the U.S. Constitution. It's just such a fascinating time in history.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

For a sporting event I'd wanna follow Watson all his rounds at the British when he was how old?

I'd cry all over again on hole 72 but still...I still view it as one of the greatest achievements in sports history.

For the next use of the time machine I would go back to a certain day with my father and grandfather we had at an activity we like that's steeped in tradition...

its personal

20 hours ago, Let it Fly said:

This covers both for me:  Game 3 of the 2001 World Series at Yankee Stadium where President George W. Bush fired a perfect 1st-pitch strike from the rubber.

Sporting event-wise, I would have loved to be a part of the atmosphere in the stadium that night, and heard Jeter tell him "Don't bounce it...they'll boo you." History-wise, I believe that was one of the biggest "We're gonna be alright" moments we'll ever see.

Outside of sports (to cover all bases), I'd go back to Lexington & Concord in 1775 for the "Shot heard 'round the World."  

Come to Lexington on April 19 and you can see it without a time machine!

Scott

My Swing Thread

On 3/22/2017 at 8:35 AM, Marty2019 said:

I'd like to see Beethoven himself in concert.   He was not only a great composer, he originally made his name as a concert pianist, perhaps the best of his generation.   So to see him play one of his own concertos, before he went deaf and couldn't play anymore, would be incredible for me.  

Good one.  Of all the musicians that have walked this earth he is the one I would have loved to witness in concert.  If I had to pick one piece of music to hear in person, well, why not pick two!  It was said the performance was less than stellar but to hear two of his symphonies at their debut would have been special.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

19 hours ago, jamo said:

I think I'm gonna go with the moon landing. 

This is my historical event as well, and here's why I'd choose it over all of the other great choices like the signing of the DOI or behind the scenes of the Constitution, etc.  I don't think those were known to be as monumental events at the time as they turned out to be later on.  I think the space race and the moon landing, however, were huge deals at the time.  I'd like to see what that was like.

For sports?  I dunno.  I'd guess to conserve plutonium, I could just stay there in 1969 and watch UCLA, Wooden and Alcindor win the NCAA title, watch the Amazin' Mets, and Joe Namath's Super Bowl guarantee.

Note: This thread is 2582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!