IGNORED

Lexi Thompson's 4 Stroke Penalty at the ANA

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 2278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm watching the ANA ladies tournament and they are assessing Lexi Thompson a 4 stroke penalty from yesterday's round based upon a viewer's phone call.  It seems she marked her ball and when it was replaced it wasn't in the same area.    She then signed an incorrect round that is another 2 stroke penalty.  

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I'm watching the ANA ladies tournament and they are assessing Lexi Thompson a 4 stroke penalty from yesterday's round based upon a viewer's phone call.  It seems she marked her ball and when it was replaced it wasn't in the same area.    She then signed an incorrect round that is another 2 stroke penalty.  

Same ole viewer bs affecting the game. Pretty sad when even the other players say its bs. Once  round is over it should be over.

• Upvote 1

I think it was poor form on the LPGA that they found out on the 7th hole, then didn't tell Lexi until after the 12th. It doesnt take a damn hour and a half to make that call. Take away 4 shots from the leader, IN A MAJOR, with 6 holes left. Embarrassing. If she comes back to win it would be phenomenal. I'm now a huge Lexi fan. 

• Upvote 3

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Never mind just the round being over...can we all agree that at least when the day is over it should be over?  If it's that important and you are going to call it that tight put a rules official on each golfer and call it when it happens.  And if you are going to use instant replay review, do it on all shots for every golfer and use it instantly...it's kind of in the name.

• Upvote 4

Fkn stupid.  You RoG Nazis should be proud. 

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

17 minutes ago, 26point2 said:

Kinda crap.  Wonder what player this person is a fan of. 

That was exactly what I was thinking. I'll bet dollars to donuts, if Lexi was behind it wouldn't have been brought up. A day late? I think that is totally wrong. I think once the day is over, that's the end of it.

• Upvote 1

I just saw the video.  Wasn't there a similar controversy for a foreign player where many people thought she purposely moved it to a side to - perhaps avoid a spike mark? I thought she was DQ'd for that (I may be wrong).

If the other player was indeed DQ'd (I'll have to search the internet), then Lexi got off a lot easier IMHO.  Not commenting on whether the rule is fair or not, just saying.

• Upvote 2

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I think golf really needs to do something about HD rules! I can't call the NFL to complain about an uncalled penalty, or a penalty that was called and shouldn't have been. Not at the time let alone a day later! If it's not called at the time, it's over!

I didn't see it, but I don't know how you could mark your ball and not replace it in the same area. Unless it was lift, clean and drop, or she had to move her marker on the green because it was in another player's line and she forgot to move it back. For as much money as they play for, even the ladies, I would imagine that the players watch each other like hawks! I know I would!

EDIT: Ah, just saw Yukari's post. The old dreaded spike mark! Yet another reason for the USGA and R&A to repeal that idiocy! If you can repair a ball mark in your line, you should be allowed to tamp down a spike mark! Even with spikeless or soft spike shoes, I've played behind groups that left a green looking like a rhino ran across it!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

6 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I just saw the video.  Wasn't there a similar controversy for a foreign player where many people thought she purposely moved it to a side to - perhaps avoid a spike mark? I thought she was DQ'd for that (I may be wrong).

If the other player was indeed DQ'd (I'll have to search the internet), then Lexi got off a lot easier IMHO.  Not commenting on whether the rule is fair or not, just saying.

The rule changed in 2016, it's only a two stroke penalty on top of the two strokes for replacing the ball in the wrong spot.  If this were 2015 she would have been DQ'ed.

Edited by 26point2

There needs to be statute on replays. Just like the NFL can't change a play after the next play starts, golf scores should not be subject to change once the next round starts. Something along those lines. This is ridiculous. 

- Mark

Just now, dennyjones said:

Lexi birdied the last hole.  Play-off..

I hope she pulls this off. What a comeback from adversity. 

• Upvote 1

- Mark

17 minutes ago, Yukari said:

• Upvote 2

A four shot penalty for moving a ball one inch, costing a woman a major championship ... golf, you don't look good right now, not good at all. 

• Upvote 4

- Mark

13 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Strong.  C'mon G.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

That really sucks.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 2278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!