IGNORED

When a Nice Ball Shows up in the Range Basket

Note: This thread is 2589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I practice a lot more than I play. If playing took 2 hours and practice 5 it'd probably be the other way around. But, I digress. I was watching my son's lesson Saturday morning and happened to see about 30 abandoned balls o the range next to us. So, I pulled out an iron and started swinging. I noticed on one that it was a pretty nice TM Tour Preferred X. Hit it with a 4-iron and it really sailed far compared to the range specials. Made me chuckle...

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

Put it in a separate pile then hit it with your driver. . .

• Upvote 2

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I see all kinds of premium balls show up in the range basket. I just pay a little more attention to their ball flights when I hit them. 

• Upvote 2

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

Put it in a separate pile then hit it with your driver. . .

38 minutes ago, Patch said:

I see all kinds of premium balls show up in the range basket. I just pay a little more attention to their ball flights when I hit them. 

Ditto 

58 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I usually just steal them.

:-P

haha, I probably would not steal them, but I might be tempted to "repeal and replace" them.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

If it's a model I like I'll take it otherwise I hit it with my driver. I practice at course ranges and the balls I find while playing get saved and hit on the range. It's a net gain for the facility

If Lexi can get penalized by a TV viewer, I can call your course and turn you guys (that take them)  for stealing. :whistle:

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

7 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

If Lexi can get penalized by a TV viewer, I can call your course and turn you guys (that take them)  for stealing. :whistle:

Make sure you are in your pajamas, eating Cheetos and lying on your couch when you call! :-P

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My course used mainly found balls as well. They replenish at times with practice balls too, but the majority are just a mix of found balls. Our buckets are ~40 balls and there will usually be something like 3-4 ProVs, 10 mid to high end TM/callaway/bridgestone balls just worn a little, 10-12 rock flights, and the rest will be practice balls. 

I scoot the better balls to the side and hit them with my driver, as other have said. I can't STAND hitting a rock flight with my driver. I feel like it's going to crack the face! 

I don't steal the good balls. Think about it... sure you may "donate" them back to the course via a bad shot... but then they have to pick it up again. Don't do that. The balls I lose will be my own, and maybe one day in the future I'll get to hit it again lol. We should all contribute in that aspect to the practice range of a given course. 

Edit: I've also gotten in the habit of checking for "refurbished" or "refinished" balls. I don't hit those with the driver either. I will pretty much only hit chip shots with those (15-40 yards).

Edited by jkelley9

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

So let me preface this by saying not proud of this. Growing up, I worked maintenance at a course that hosted a lot of tournaments over the summer. Basically there was a tournament every week. The course would put out Pro V practice balls on the range. I would take the last 30 minutes before lunch to "pick" the woods adjacent the range. At the end of one summer, I had a 5 gallon bucket full of practice Pro V's that lasted me well into my college years.... I know. I was a scumbag. I justified it with myself as hazard pay for having to water wilt on NC bent grass greens while the tournament participants constantly hit balls into me on the greens during practice rounds, rather than wait for me to finish. 

Titleist 913 D3 project x 7c3
Trident Golf 3w, 5w Apollo stepless steel stiff+
Mizuno MP-60 (4-6) Mizuno MP-32 (7-9) S300
Titleist SM 5 46/50/54/58
SeeMore FGP Original SuperStroke fatso 5.0
Pro V1

Taking balls from the range is kind of "stealing".  I'll save them til the end of the bucket and crank them with a driver.

Dave 

Driver: Callaway X2 Hot 13.5*    Woods: Callaway X2 Hot 5W      Hybrids: Callaway X2 Hot Hybrid 3

Irons: Callaway X Hot 4-9    

Wedges: Callaway X Hot PW and AW, Mack Daddy S Grind 60*/10,  Mack Daddy C Grind 56*/14 

Putter: Odyssey Versa #1

I save them for the end of the practice session.

For those people that take them.  Options:

1 - Why not just ask the staff if you can take them?  Unlikely, but then it's not stealing if they agree.

2 - Offer to exchange shags for the good ones - maybe offer 2 to 1 - more likely

8 of 10 courses you get "no" and "no".  But at least you get the policy statement and can respect that accordingly as their business.  It's amazing what happens when you are just straightforward and ask sometimes.

I like to hunt balls during a round.  But I tell the counter person to be sure they don't have an issue or a policy conflict.  Most don't, and I get a funny look from them - usually a comment about how people don't ask that.......  But it's up front.  Last course was a new one - "SURE, but if you do we want half.  And only if you don't play slow"  They were excited about it even.  That was great.  I get to do something I find relaxing, they get driving range inventory with free labor.  And I got to pick which I kept and which they got (which also saved me effort in cleaning the scuffed ones and brands I don't like)

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

During a lesson a few weeks back some yahoo managed to hit a ball that ricocheted off a little sign, bounced backwards, and ended up hitting my truck, parked in the little lot behind us, Everybody looked at my truck then looked at the yahoo. When he and his friend finished and walked back to their parked cars I intercepted them to honestly ask how he managed to get the ball to go that way. He denied any involvement. I noticed everyone had stopped to watch the conversation. Haha. I stole that ball. Still in my center console cup holder. But it's just a rock range ball..,

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

Note: This thread is 2589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!