IGNORED

Anyone else have this much trouble putting?

Note: This thread is 2555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm sure it's not just me.  Just got back from our yearly golf pilgrimage in Arizona (which was incredible) and I'm the worst putter in the group, even worse than guys who are 5-8 shots worse than me hcp wise.  One round I lost track of how many 3-putts after six times.  I'm about 50% from 3-5 ft.  Longer putts I'd save time and strokes by just taking 2 putts and staying in the cart.

I have a hard time getting putts to start on line which makes it hard to make short ones.  The putter tends to go all over the place on my backswing.  Some things I've tried:

1. Different types of putters (face vs. toe balanced).
  2. Left hand low (which is how I putt now).
  3. Claw grip.
  4. Putting mirror and rail.
  5. Putter wheel.
  6. Eyes closed (some success, but nothing long term).  This at least helps me not watch the putter or look up too soon.

I had pros look at my stroke on SAM a while back.  My stroke is better one handed (either hand) than with both hands.  Stroke tends to be fairly straight back, then follow through long and too far left.

Everyone says putt with their shoulders, but what's the best move to start the putter back?  Pull with your right shoulder blade?  Push down with left shoulder?

Thanks for the comments.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, edhalsim said:

I'm sure it's not just me.  Just got back from our yearly golf pilgrimage in Arizona (which was incredible) and I'm the worst putter in the group, even worse than guys who are 5-8 shots worse than me hcp wise.  One round I lost track of how many 3-putts after six times.  I'm about 50% from 3-5 ft.  Longer putts I'd save time and strokes by just taking 2 putts and staying in the cart.

I have a hard time getting putts to start on line which makes it hard to make short ones.  The putter tends to go all over the place on my backswing.  Some things I've tried:

3. Claw grip.
  5. Putter wheel.
  6. Eyes closed (some success, but nothing long term).  This at least helps me not watch the putter or look up too soon.

I had pros look at my stroke on SAM a while back.  My stroke is better one handed (either hand) than with both hands.  Stroke tends to be fairly straight back, then follow through long and too far left.

Everyone says putt with their shoulders, but what's the best move to start the putter back?  Pull with your right shoulder blade?  Push down with left shoulder?

Thanks for the comments.

What has helped my putting has been 2 things:

1) When I go to the putting green I set on one hole and use an alignment stick to make sure I don't have to re-aim every time and I just practice straight putts. That'll tell you if there is something wrong with your stroke.

2) I got a fatter putter grip because I like it, superstroke slim. I think it helps me control my putts better.

I know these aren't the answers you're looking for but I don't know those. Hope its still helpful.

14 minutes ago, edhalsim said:

3. Claw grip.
  5. Putter wheel.

Thanks for the comments.

Sounds like too much thinking to me. 

Sorry I don't have a better answer. 

You're a much better player than I am, but I improved my putting 100% by not moving my head, not even moving my eyes.   Look at the ball, hit the putt, look at the ground where the ball was.   Don't follow the ball with your eyes.  My putting went from atrocious to almost somewhat acceptable using that technique.   It was a huge improvement. 

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Look into this: 

It should help you quite a bit.

Also, invest in a metal yardstick, and practice putting from one end off the other.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, edhalsim said:

I have a hard time getting putts to start on line which makes it hard to make short ones.  The putter tends to go all over the place on my backswing.  

This is exactly what I battle with. This past weekend, I tried several putters and none of them felt great, but some felt better than the one I have. 

I was experimenting at the putting green with a different stance. I found a open stance allows me to see the line better and I can roll the ball with my dominant hand. I am not committed to it yet.

The most frustrating thing with a traditional square stance is my inability to keep the putter from moving on the way back.  This is what I tried :

1) I allowed my elbows to rest on my lower front ribs, then I keep my forearms and wrist pretty firm, not allowing for any movement of the putter by itself at all...basically I tried to stay connected to the putter as much I could.

2) I concentrate on gently pushing the putter back with my  upper body, mainly shoulders, trying to keep it on a semi straight line....at that point the putter head should not be moving around as you lock it in place with forearms, elbows and hands. 

3) I Picked a short line in front of the ball in the direction I want the line of the put to go, and committed to it. 

4)Let your shoulders/ upper body return trying not to hit the ball, but let the putter run in to it. This is where a little more feeling came in to play. And how exactly you do it, has to do with how the shaft is set up but It helped me to get my eyes a little more on top of the ball and keep the shaft a little more upright...

I was making a lot of puts, specially short ones..6' or so.  So far this is the only way I have prevented the head of the putter from moving around on the take away.  HOWEVER...if your putter style needs to be release it might be a little counterproductive, as you need to let the putter do its thing a little.  If it is a straight back and thru type of putter,like the one I was working with it might help you, specially in shorter puts. Longer puts I think they require a little more feeling and you might not be able to lock so much in to play. 

Good luck. 

Do you wear progressive bifocals? If you do get a pair of monofocal lenses made for golf, or lined bifocals. 

My putting at its best was 34 putts per round, due to chipping close. If I hit a green, unless I get it close it's a two putt, and if I mess up the first putt it's a three putt. 

I went to a long putter because my back gets sore during putting practice. They're still legal and they're dirt cheap if you can find them. You can find them on e-Bay. I bought my 48" Odyssey putter from CallawayPre-owned. I putt like Bernhard Langer except not as good. The only thing is that you can't anchor the butt end of the club during the actual stroke - you can during your practice stroke. The long putter does the same thing as the tpm. It works for me and cut down the number of three putts. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

For me, it's been a combination of going left-hand low, AimPoint and just practising regularly indoors on a mat for distance control inside ten feet. My issues were all over the place: bead, read and speed, but AimPoint got rid of any read issues and I've never doubted it - there have been so many times when the read has been perfect, it's utterly convinced me. As a result, there's been one of those three ticked off.

Now that I'm getting the hang of speed, it's been about hitting that line and just getting into the zone. I've developed a very consistent pre-putt routine that I don't have to think about: walk up and AimPoint it, go back to the ball, stand behind and pick the blade of grass I want to focus on about 2 feet in front of the ball, walk to the ball and spend about 5 seconds purely aligning the putter to the grass, widen my stance, look at the hole once, twice, then rock shoulders. I tried adding a practice stroke, but that tended to throw out my alignment - if it's a really long putt, I'll stand at 90 degrees to the hole, look at it and take a couple of strokes before I address the ball.

The other thing I did was to get a SeeMore putter, which I had fitted. It's not perfect (I still aim a bit left of where I feel I should), but it suits my stroke and I like the 'hide the red dot' for alignment purposes. Kind of an 'on course' training aid! For me, left-hand low was the real Eureka moment. Before that, I hit at the ball all the time and had the most wayward motion with some missing high, some low and I would cut across the ball horribly. Left hand low cured that and whilst I struggled with distance control for about six months, it's been well worth the perseverance.

That's mine, really. Hope you find what you need - keep us posted!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

"I have a hard time getting putts to start on line which makes it hard to make short ones.  The putter tends to go all over the place on my backswing."

It sounds like you are manipulating the putter backward and forward, instead of swinging or letting the putter swing.  Try this:  Set up to the side of the ball like for a practice swing.  Do your swing, but keep going like a pendulum on a clock.  Back and forth in a smooth, easy motion with relaxed arms and hands.  (Best relaxation video voice.)  Let the putter swing back and forth naturally without manipulating it with the arms.  Back and forth. Back and forth.  

The putter should settle onto a line a certain distance away from your toes where you can swing straight through without manipulating it.  Stop your putter on this imaginary line.  Now tip toe forward, keeping the putter the same distance from your toes until it is behind the ball.  Now take your stroke using the same motion you just practiced.  If you don't tip toe forward, you will have to reach with your arms which will force you to manipulate the club to keep it on line.  

Repeat until you find your natural putting stroke.         

4 hours ago, edhalsim said:

3. Claw grip.
  5. Putter wheel.

Thanks for the comments.

I had a bit of a problem over the winter with the blade waffling a little. Not a problem I've really had to deal with in the past. What has worked for me is to get set and then just rock my shoulders. I'm not thinking about ether one going up or down, just maintaining my setup position and then rocking.

Good luck!

I'm more of a feel putter 

The ones that I get more mechanical about are short right to left putts as I have problems making these more often than the left to rights 

What I do is depending if I m above or below the hole for these RtL

Say I'm above the hole I will position my eyes so I can look at the cup then the line of the ball and then immediately putt without excess eye movements 

The method for below the hole is to square my putter blade along the ground and then square to the back of the cup and keep back of my lead hand(which is suppose to be square to the blade) moving to the cup 

For longer putts Aimpoint method with feel is reliable for me 

Edited by dchoye

6 hours ago, iacas said:

Also, invest in a metal yardstick, and practice putting from one end off the other.

20170411_194445.jpg

This is what I use to help get the putt started online.   There is a hole on the end to hold the ball but it doesn't affect the putt.   This is an eye opener.

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

8 hours ago, edhalsim said:

3. Claw grip.
  5. Putter wheel.

Thanks for the comments.

It's not just you @edhalsim and thanks for starting this thread (and of course, thanks to those who responded). Now I have some good information to look through.

Same exact issue - I can't seem to get the ball to start on line. With me, however, the putter doesn't go back straight/smoothly. Lag putting isn't as much of an issue, but missing short putts are killing me.

Always knew it was an issue, but when a 10hc told me I average more GIR than he did last year, the reality of how bad it was hurting my scores really hit home. My index is over 22. Game Golf tells me I'm losing almost 7 strokes from putting vs a 15 handicap.

7 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

Look at the ball, hit the putt, look at the ground where the ball was.   Don't follow the ball with your eyes. 

I started doing this during my Winter practice and I think it will help. Also, I just started keeping the putter slightly off the ground before I start it back.

Good luck and let us know if you find a way to improve.

Jon

We may have been separated at birth.  It's like I was reading a page out of my personal diary.  JOURNAL...I meant journal. My issue isn't starting the putt on the correct line as much as my speed control sucks.  But what's interesting is I am able to putt one-handed much better than two-handed also.  I can drop a ball onto the practice green 25-30' from the hole, and with a quick look at the general slope of the green lag it up tight.  If I read the putt from all sides and really try, and use both hands, I might not get it within 5' of the hole.  I believe I don't release the putter head correctly when using two hands.  

My swing coach had me putting with my eyes closed too, to help restore the feel of my stroke, which worked pretty good, but I couldn't do it on the course.  I started experimenting with looking at the hole, which has a lot of benefits and makes sense.  Most other activities, like throwing a ball for example...where do we look?  At the target.  When we drive a car, we look where we want the car to go.  When shooting pool, we look at the object ball, not the cue ball.  If I were underhand tossing a ping pong ball into a bucket 15' away, I'd be focused on the bucket.  So looking at the hole helps so much with judging the distance, and eliminates your eyes following the putterhead during the stroke.  I also like a heavier putter for more feel, and lead tape is a great way to see if it will help without spending a lot of money

witb_6.jpg.8c9c169f6768c26a6bedf18ca4811008.jpgI

I did a session on a SAM PuttLab a number of years ago, and the tech who worked with me said my numbers were the best he had ever seen.  Which begged the question "then why can't I make a putt?"  

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Get fit for a putter. Best thing I have ever done for my game. 

Upon getting fit, I found out that I couldn't aim my putter at the time inside the hole from 12 feet and according to my fitter, that's not very uncommon. 

I tried probably 20 different putters until we found one that I could consistently aim at the center of the hole. Then we worked on lag putting and found that a weight in the grip to counterbalance made my lag putting alot better. 

My percentage probably used to be 30% from 3-5 feet, no joke. I'd practice, be better for a day or two and then be back to putting crappy again. I rarely practice putting anymore and I putt much better now. 

Edited by shortstop20

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Well the struggle continues, although there is some sunlight.  This weekend I missed two putts inside 5' (one looped almost all the way around the cup), but I did make two birdie putts of about 10' and 15' so I was happy about that.

I ordered one of those ixiasports teaching aids so I'll let you know if it helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I would seriously think about putting with one hand if it works for you. The hard part is getting over the stigma. But after your scores start lowering. You won't care anymore.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!