IGNORED

"Pro" shoots 127 in U.S. Open local qualifying

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Gator Hazard said:

Isn't that a bit contradictory? A pro who isn't very good? :whistle:

Lots of those - contractors in the home improvement business, pretty much all businesses. :-(

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No way this guy is anything better than a 20 hcp but I do give him credit for finishing 18. Seen lots of guys play bad first 4-5 holes and start talking about quitting after 9. 

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

No way this guy is anything better than a 20 hcp but I do give him credit for finishing 18. Seen lots of guys play bad first 4-5 holes and start talking about quitting after 9. 

On the other hand, he shot in 9 just about what it was going to take to qualify. I would HATE trying to qualify and have that guy in my group. It would completely throw me out of my routine. I'm on the wagon of not giving him any credit for continuing to play after such a horrific 9.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I think Jared Garbett changed his name to Clifton McDonald. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Here is the leaderboard from the local qualifying, next worst score is a +35, 107.

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 1.33.49 PM.png

https://www.ghintpp.com/bamagolf/TPPOnlineScoring/ResultsStroke.aspx?id=329

:offtopic: Is that Golf Machine Ted Fort?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 minute ago, mvmac said:

That was Clifton's motivational video...haha

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

Here is the leaderboard from the regional, next worst score is a +35, 107.

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 1.33.49 PM.png

https://www.ghintpp.com/bamagolf/TPPOnlineScoring/ResultsStroke.aspx?id=329

And neither of them were amateurs...

Bryan A

8 minutes ago, TN94z said:

And neither of them were amateurs...

Being a pro doesn't mean anything. Anybody can basically declare themselves a pro.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

Being a pro doesn't mean anything. Anybody can basically declare themselves a pro.

That's my point. They obviously declared themselves as pro's when clearly they were not...

Bryan A

3 minutes ago, TN94z said:

That's my point. They obviously declared themselves as pro's when clearly they were not...

Or they could actually be pros. Nobody said pros must be good at golf. Just that they make money doing golf stuff or something?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Or they could actually be pros. Nobody said pros must be good at golf. Just that they e money doing golf stuff or something?

Missing my point....but I agree with what you're saying.

Bryan A

22 hours ago, iacas said:

So I wonder what his actual handicap is… because no way a 2.4 shoots 127. I can believe some high scores, but not 127.

I think the cutoff index is 1.4. I would have believed he was 1.4 with even an 87. I think even I would have scored better than 127 and I'm an 8.1 (technically). Alina probably could've mustered a score pretty close to that and she's 3 1/2!!!

What was this guy thinking? He wasted an entry fee, and will get the letter from the USGA, and made a fool out of himself, so people like us would talk about him in threads like this.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

:offtopic: Is that Golf Machine Ted Fort?

Yes it most likely is.

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Right, I was a pro because I took some money for lessons but obviously wasn't close to playing like a pro who makes their living playing golf.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Well it's a distortion of the social meaning of 'pro'. Just like nurses who get a PhD and want to be called 'doctors.' Technically they're a doctor of nursing, but they're far from being 'doctors' as how that is interpreted by the vast majority of people.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well it's a distortion of the social meaning of 'pro'. Just like nurses who get a PhD and want to be called 'doctors.' Technically they're a doctor of nursing, but they're far from being 'doctors' as how that is interpreted by the vast majority of people.

He's a professional all right... professional hacker.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

4 hours ago, mvmac said:

Tell ya what, risky position to be standing there. If was that guy in the yellow shirt behind him...one of my shanks would take his skull out!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

.........what a disgrace!   

I think I know this kind of golfer!..........he's a typical weekend hack that only plays sporadically if the weather is nice and when he has somebody to play with.  He carries no official HC because he's a typical weekend beer drinking golfer.... ...... he entered on a lark and probably had many laughs afterwards with his beer drinking golf buddies.  I am sure he laughed it up in the Tavern afterwards with his buddies....."I played in a US open Qualifier!"....I can hear them laughing now.   Most qualifiers are "country club" conditions for the most part....albeit from long tees. 

Edited by BuckeyeNut

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

Right, I was a pro because I took some money for lessons but obviously wasn't close to playing like a pro who makes their living playing golf.

And this is precisely my point. He is not a pro golfer. I could take money for being a golf pro if someone paid me, but that's not what would make me a pro (far from it). I've seen people paid for many things they didn't know anything about, that didn't make them professionals. Take for example boxing. There are many trainers who are paid well, but they are not professional boxers. 

Edited by Gator Hazard

On 5/11/2017 at 4:18 PM, David in FL said:

Kudos?  I don't think so.

He never should have been there.  I wouldn't expect a 15 hcp to shoot that score on the worst day of his life.

I hope he doesn't teach as a pro.  If he does, I bet he has fewer students now than he did last week. ;-) 

Thank you! I'm a 13 myself, and I found myself thinking I could have scraped it around in better than 127! Even on a course that long!

I think he's the Rosie Ruiz of golfers!

Note: This thread is 2538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!