IGNORED

Cook steaks from frozen not thawed!

saevel25
Note: This thread is 2449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The sous vide deal sounds interesting but I must admit I enjoy making a fire when I cook.

If I can get my hands on some fresh wild salmon I really like that on a smoky grill.  For me I would choose that most times over beef.

23 hours ago, David in FL said:

The video suggests that it does.

Regardless, I'll stick with the tried and true.  There's a reason that fine steak houses don't cook their steaks while frozen.  Or, for that matter, freeze them in the  first place.  

Now, now.  Let's not respond too harshly.  

When someone makes a statement that outrageous, we need to feel sorry for him.    One can only imagine the horrible things that have happened in his life to lead him to this point of despair.  Therapy, not condemnation.  That would be the kind response.

;-) 

The video clearly says the fresh steaks are the best, but if you have to freeze them, it's better to cook frozen steaks rather than thawing them out first. 

Some of the methods described here make it very interesting. I'll have to try sous vide machine and cast iron skillet. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Indeed, Chateauneuf du Pape is an upgraded Cotes du Rhone. As is Hermitage, Cornas, Cote Rotie, and others! There's a reason for that. The reason is that their wines, from producers of reputation, are consistently judged to be better in quality than the herd.

There are many fine producers of Cotes du Rhone who produce wonderful wines, But few will hit the heights of a Jaboulet-Aine or an Etienne Guigal!

8 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Indeed, Chateauneuf du Pape is an upgraded Cotes du Rhone. As is Hermitage, Cornas, Cote Rotie, and others! There's a reason for that. The reason is that their wines, from producers of reputation, are consistently judged to be better in quality than the herd.

There are many fine producers of Cotes du Rhone who produce wonderful wines, But few will hit the heights of a Jaboulet-Aine or an Etienne Guigal!

While I love to talk wines, this is the steak cooking thread!:-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I love grilling steaks. I've cooked them caveman style right on the charcoal, a grate over my chimney starter, reverse sear, 700* grill, you name it I've done it. I haven't tried the sous vide method yet, but it's similar to a reverse sear in the oven then 30 seconds on a hot grill grate. My favorite cut is a big 3lb cowboy ribeye. I'll eat a filet at a steakhouse, but the ribeye is king when I'm grilling at home. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

6 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

I love grilling steaks. I've cooked them caveman style right on the charcoal, a grate over my chimney starter, reverse sear, 700* grill, you name it I've done it. I haven't tried the sous vide method yet, but it's similar to a reverse sear in the oven then 30 seconds on a hot grill grate. My favorite cut is a big 3lb cowboy ribeye. I'll eat a filet at a steakhouse, but the ribeye is king when I'm grilling at home. 

+1 on ribeye. Lots of marbling and the tender cap piece...yum! 

Give sous vide a whirl. Especially if you're cooking 3lb pieces. Uses science to give you the perfect inside and leaves you to do Art to get the perfect outside. Time consuming but if you have the time, you can't get a better result. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html

Seems you could cook your frozen steak and then reverse sear it, and you don't really have to worry about all that prep just to avoid splattering from the ice melting.

Most of the steak I eat at home… is done this way (prime rib):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dry-aged-standing-rib-roast-with-sage-jus-recipe-1939502

And yeah, you use a flower pot. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html

Seems you could cook your frozen steak and then reverse sear it, and you don't really have to worry about all that prep just to avoid splattering from the ice melting.

Can't go wrong with a reverse seared steak. Kenji's the best food writer out there (IMO).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

4 hours ago, jamo said:

Can't go wrong with a reverse seared steak. Kenji's the best food writer out there (IMO).

I reverse sear on my Weber Kettle with a Slow 'N Sear, which is a technique and product I learned about from http://amazingribs.com which is linked in that Kenji article.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Alton Brown has done a similar method, 

http://altonbrown.com/thermal-shock-porterhouse-steak-recipe/

I want to try this method one day, 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

23 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

My buddy was in the wholesale meat business. The ribeye is his all time favorite cut of beef! Oh man! When he worked there we could get USDA Choice for spit compared to what you pay retail!

On 5/19/2017 at 10:27 AM, colin007 said:

Cast iron skillet makes the best steaks. That is, if you want to taste the meat more than the grill.

I agree with you. It really retains the flavor.

IMG_1971.JPG

I did a really good prime rib for Easter this year. Even made some homemade horseradish sauce. 

This is a typical steak weeknight. Love to make some compound butter the night before and put it on the steak right after it rests. IMG_1965.JPG

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

The only way to eat a steak in my opinion is on a black stone.. eat it while you cook it, just amazing!!!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2017 at 2:19 AM, David in FL said:

Not me.  I'm not going to fry my steaks in a half inch of oil.

Me neither - I once did so when drunk, with predictable results (fire, resulting in damage to the kitchen!) . 

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, Sunburst42 said:

I agree with you. It really retains the flavor.

It creates flavor, not retain it. A steak doesn't have that flavor before being cooked by the caste iron.

Getting a little technical here ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!